Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th May 19, 8:45 AM
    • 4,334Posts
    • 6,907Thanks
    bouicca21
    Syria ration challenge
    • 16th May 19, 8:45 AM
    Syria ration challenge 16th May 19 at 8:45 AM
    The eat for 50p a day thread got me thinking, then a post about the Syrian ration challenge popped up on Facebook.

Rations for a week for a Syrian refugee:

Rice 420g
    Lentils 170g
    Chickpeas 85g
    canned sardines 125g
    Canned kidney beans 400g
    Vegetable oil 300g

A rough costing courtesy of Tesco, suggests this would cost in the region of 2.88, so well within 50p a day. In reality standard pack sizes are mostly larger so that if you bought from scratch it would cost more like 4.60, so about 66p a day.

I cannot begin to imagine how to live on those rations, so Im out at the first hurdle. Anyone clever enough to come up with a menu plan for a week using those ingredients and nothing more (so no herbs, spices, etc)?

Its an Australian page
    https://actforpeace.rationchallenge.org.au/the-challenge/the-rations-explained/
Page 1
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th May 19, 5:23 PM
    • 16,706 Posts
    • 143,198 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 16th May 19, 5:23 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:23 PM
    just been reading the page and how on earth do people manage to survive on this ,I know life is tough for many in this country and one cannot imagine how it is to live in a refugee camp and have to struggle with children and very little food Make our first world problems seem insignificant somehow doesn't it

Last night on TV in the Watchdog programme there was a piece about how the big coffee chain bin food at the end of the day Starbucks,Costa and Cafe Nero seem to be the worst with one of them actually destroying food before its binned by soaking hand sanitiser over unopened sandwiches to stop folk raiding their bins.
    The world has gone completely mad I think
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 16th May 19, 7:40 PM
    • 9,450 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 16th May 19, 7:40 PM
    • 16th May 19, 7:40 PM
    The eat for 50p a day thread got me thinking, then a post about the Syrian ration challenge popped up on Facebook.

Rations for a week for a Syrian refugee:

Rice 420g
    Lentils 170g
    Chickpeas 85g
    canned sardines 125g
    Canned kidney beans 400g
    Vegetable oil 300g
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    You do get a little extra:

To recreate your refugee experience, youll need to buy an additional 1.5kg of rice and 400g of plain flour and add these to your weeks rations.
    The UK website is here
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Lance De Boils
    • By Lance De Boils 16th May 19, 8:06 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Lance De Boils
    • 16th May 19, 8:06 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:06 PM
    just been reading the page and how on earth do people manage to survive on this ,I know life is tough for many in this country and one cannot imagine how it is to live in a refugee camp and have to struggle with children and very little food Make our first world problems seem insignificant somehow doesn't it

Last night on TV in the Watchdog programme there was a piece about how the big coffee chain bin food at the end of the day Starbucks,Costa and Cafe Nero seem to be the worst with one of them actually destroying food before its binned by soaking hand sanitiser over unopened sandwiches to stop folk raiding their bins.
    The world has gone completely mad I think
    Originally posted by JackieO

I saw the peice on coffee shops and I don't think they have done themselves any favours by letting us know that they throw food away. I won't be using them anymore.

I thought hand sanitizer was extremely flammable.

As far as I know Pret give away their unsold food to the homeless.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 28,627 Posts
    • 60,938 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 16th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:30 PM
    You do get a little extra:
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I thnk this explains a lot - how the 300ml of oil is used up, for a start.

I could probably live off this quantity with some to spare, but then I am no great foodie. I am guessing that these poor Syrians are also growing their own fruit and veg?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 16th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:33 PM
    OK, so the flour makes life a little bit easier. I'm thinking falafel, some sort of lentil stew, lots of rice and flat bread. All very bland as there are no spices but, wow, I still have a can of sardines and kidney beans to look forward to.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th May 19, 10:29 PM
    • 11,948 Posts
    • 32,031 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 20th May 19, 10:29 PM
    • 20th May 19, 10:29 PM
    I shall be flamed for this no doubt

But once again a totally non achievable challenge

Already they up the ante with " vouchers" for extra flour and rice, and then you can "earn" spices, milk, tea etc, as they say the Syrians to whom these rations go, earn extras by selling, working etc
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st May 19, 6:17 AM
    • 66,226 Posts
    • 389,096 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 21st May 19, 6:17 AM
    • 21st May 19, 6:17 AM
    To be honest, life would be a lot simpler with only a small list of foods as you don't have to ponder what to eat. Just boil up some rice and eat it, meal done.

Food choices, thinking about it, thinking about recipes, sourcing, buying, mixing .... food/cooking seems endless in this country.

I think they're onto something.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 21st May 19, 6:20 AM
    • 66,226 Posts
    • 389,096 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 21st May 19, 6:20 AM
    • 21st May 19, 6:20 AM
    Originally posted by suki1964
    A bit like people and Wartime Rations. A few foods were rationed, other foods were not. If you could grow/get/swap any other foods not on the ration list then you could eat them.

The ration book of WW2 only shared out the more luxurious items, to ensure everybody had a chance of a fair share, else the rich would've just paid what they wanted and had it all.

When I see the WW2 rations list I don't eat that quantity of those foods weekly, so I'd start with a surplus ... that I could've probably swapped for a caught rabbit or something at the time.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 21st May 19, 6:57 AM
    • 4,334 Posts
    • 6,907 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Well as far as I’m concerned, it’s unachievable. As far as a desperate refugee is concerned it may be. I don’t suppose a refugee is in any position to complain about food being boring.

Living on WW2 rations is way easier (that one I’ve done) and way healthier.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

549Posts Today

4,629Users online

Martin's Twitter