Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    archived user
    Solicitor fee/scam?
    • 16th May 19, 8:36 AM
    Solicitor fee/scam? 16th May 19 at 8:36 AM
    I completed on selling my property through Premier Property Lawyers 6 days ago and chose the option to have the settlement sent by cheque as they wanted 46.80 to do a BACS transfer. Not only do I think BACS is an unusual way to transfer such a large sum of money but that this is an extortionate charge to do so.
    However, 6 days later I am still awaiting the cheque. On calling this morning I am told it was posted first class on the day of completion. They cannot tell me if the delivery was recorded in any way without checking with the post room! If they have no evidence of posting the cheque where do I stand in terms of insisting on a free electronic transfer or holding them liable for lost interest whilst another cheque is sent?
    Is there any one else out there who has also had the same delay from them suggesting a company policy rather than a postal problem?
Page 2
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 12:06 PM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    We charge clients nothing for BACS (or cheque), small charge for FP and larger charge for CHAPS.

CHAPS fees charged by banks to larger customers like law firms are fairly modest - the solicitors' charges are largely for their own admin costs.
    Originally posted by davidmcn

Are those admin costs significantly different for the different payment types? If not I wonder why you don't pass on those costs for BACS/cheque but do for other payments - unless of course you buck the trend and only pass on what you are charged by your bank (although that still leaves some confusion about BACS, as the bank I worked for certainly charged businesses for that).
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 17th May 19, 12:14 PM
    • 11,211 Posts
    • 12,403 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Are those admin costs significantly different for the different payment types? If not I wonder why you don't pass on those costs for BACS/cheque but do for other payments - unless of course you buck the trend and only pass on what you are charged by your bank (although that still leaves some confusion about BACS, as the bank I worked for certainly charged businesses for that).
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    At a guess - larger / more time-critical payments merit a fee more than others. BACS is probably as "standard" a method of payment as cheque (though any transaction in theory might attract a bank charge of some sort).

You could also ask why banks charge different rates for the different types of transaction.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 17th May 19, 12:39 PM
    • 12,973 Posts
    • 29,217 Thanks
    andygb
    Firms I have worked for never charge clients for BACS or faster payment, and none of them have ever charged an admin fee. The most I have seen for a CHAPS is 25 + VAT.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,191Posts Today

6,169Users online

Martin's Twitter