Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th May 19, 6:55 AM
    • 3,732Posts
    • 602Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Turn off PC, hibernate or sleep?
    • 16th May 19, 6:55 AM
    Turn off PC, hibernate or sleep? 16th May 19 at 6:55 AM
    Bit late to the party but i've only really paid this any mind this week having had Windows 7 since 2010 & just always turned my PC off.

Just wondering for those reading this, what do you opt for once you've finished at night and why?
    I suppose it may (or may not, who knows) be a bit different for laptop users. I wouldn't personally leave a laptop in sleep or hibernate mode but then i don't use my laptop often, only really for car diagnostics.

My main machine is a PC which runs Windows 7 64bit pro. I don't actually see the hibernate option so i wonder if this was introduced later in Windows 8/10 but sleep is there. Apparently sleep uses a bit more power than hibernate but how that translates in to actual monthly cost in terms of money i don't know.

I have in the past set my PC to carry out a task (usually backing up) in the early hours and then to 'sleep' only for SOMEtimes it to be on when i get up. I know it'll have gone in to sleep mode because i'll have gotten up for the toilet for example and seen it in sleep mode but then by the time i'm up it's back on again - which is one reason i've never really relied on sleep mode. Another is habit - i've just always turned everything off after using them. Even the TV in the living room - it doesn't go on standby, it gets turned off.

Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th May 19, 7:41 AM
    • 6,871 Posts
    • 6,786 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 16th May 19, 7:41 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:41 AM
    Laptop user here ... at home I always shutdown when I'm finished; at work I leave my laptop on (plugged in to the docking station and secured with a Kensington lock, and screen-locked) - saves me having to wait 20 mins each morning for it to boot up (corporate OS image with loads of bloat) and means I can leave it running backups and virus scans overnight ... also, it's not my electricity!
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 16th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 1,683 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 16th May 19, 7:49 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:49 AM
    You have to dedicate alot of paging file resources to get the hibernate option, personally i just turn off all the time.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 19, 8:28 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th May 19, 8:28 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:28 AM
    My home PC I shut down at the end of the day, because it could be 20 or more hours before it's used again. My work computer (which I use mainly at home) I sleep when I'm away from it during the day, hibernate at the end of the day when I'll be working the next day, and shut down at the end of the last working day of the week.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th May 19, 8:35 AM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,959 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 16th May 19, 8:35 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:35 AM
    Turn on the hibernate choice on the start menu.
    See here:- https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-windows-7-hibernate-mode/

Personally, my desktop is always set to hibernated at night. The cost would be minimal.
    Of course it's down to individual choices and depends on how you use your PC.
    The TV etc is also left on standby, I'm not seeing huge electricity bills.
    Visiting my Father in law, a while ago, he said he was tired as he'd been up past midnight. The reason he stayed up was so that he could turn off the recorder once it had finished recording his programme.....
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th May 19, 9:14 AM
    • 16th May 19, 9:14 AM
    Of course if you have an SSD then shutdown every time
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 16th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 4,100 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 16th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 16th May 19, 9:44 AM
    Hibernate. With the odd "update and shutdown" to keep Windows happy.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 19, 11:03 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th May 19, 11:03 AM
    • 16th May 19, 11:03 AM
    Of course if you have an SSD then shutdown every time
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

Care to explain why?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 16th May 19, 11:13 AM
    Care to explain why?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    SSDs boot faster than HDDs and there is mitigation e.g. if you have 8/16 GB of ram then it will need similar amounts of disk space which is not much I know but on SSDs why keep rewriting 8/16 GB every time you close the lid/hibernate etc. Personal preference
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 16th May 19, 12:27 PM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 3,745 Thanks
    AndyPix
    For me its shut down every time ..

Nice fresh start with no rogue processes running or anything leaking memory
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • A.Penny.Saved
    • By A.Penny.Saved 16th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 880 Thanks
    A.Penny.Saved
    I use sleep mode on my win 7 x64 pc most of the time and only restart when necessary. I do not like the extra disk space needed for hibernation so do not use it although it does have some appealing features, such as O could power everything off and disconnect power and still resume where I was.

I have tested the power usage with a plug in device I have and it is only a few watts while in sleep mode which is acceptable to me.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th May 19, 8:44 PM
    • 6,025 Posts
    • 12,012 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Home PC left on all the time windows 10 default settings (is that really bad )

Work PC shut down everyday and monitors turned off (we get nagged at if we don't do this).
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 16th May 19, 8:58 PM
    • 14,222 Posts
    • 16,927 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I have an SSD, I leave my computer running all the time. It's been running constantly for maybe 5 years now with the odd reboot for OS upgrades and power cuts. The only moving part is is the fan. The screen blanks off after a while.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • Pikeyp
    • By Pikeyp 16th May 19, 10:44 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Pikeyp
    My Windows 10 desktop is on permanently ... has been for years basically!

Only re-booting when Insider updates come along ...
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 17th May 19, 12:34 AM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Do whatever you want, it makes little to no difference.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th May 19, 7:47 AM
    • 3,732 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    I imagine nothing can be done when it's in sleep mode?

What about in the power options where you have the 2 options - turn off the display & then the secondary being put computer to sleep?

I'm thinking for 2 things really...

1) Backups - of the entire PC, so disk images that'll take time
    2) I'm creating a digital library of my movies and eventually music. I have a lot of blu ray files that need shrinking using Handbrake but these can take a good bit of time (between 2-10 hours, depending i've found).

• AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th May 19, 8:15 AM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 3,745 Thanks
    AndyPix
    No nothing can be done when the computer is 'asleep'

If you use the 'turn off the display' option then the computer can carry on as normal , yes
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

416Posts Today

3,840Users online

Martin's Twitter