Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimokane
    • By Mimokane 16th May 19, 5:18 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mimokane
    Help please - how to appeal if case is with debt collectors
    • 16th May 19, 5:18 AM
    Help please - how to appeal if case is with debt collectors 16th May 19 at 5:18 AM
    Hi there,

I have read the NEWBIES thread advising to either ignore the debt collectors letters or respond robustly, and advising that it is never too late to appeal a PCN. However, I'm unsure how it is I can appeal when the online appeal system just says the case is with the Debt Collector, and doesn't allow me to proceed any further. I have no email address for them. You advise to avoid sending appeals by post where possible, so I'm not sure whether there is some way around the online appeals problem but being able to keep a record of the fact that an appeal was lodged?

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th May 19, 5:36 AM
    • 23,336 Posts
    • 37,170 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 16th May 19, 5:36 AM
    • 16th May 19, 5:36 AM
    Which parking company please?
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 16th May 19, 7:42 AM
    • 12,999 Posts
    • 13,329 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 16th May 19, 7:42 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:42 AM
    Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams and will fail in court so complain to your MP.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 16th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 6,685 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 16th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:51 AM
    who's car park was this?
    what parking company?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th May 19, 9:47 AM
    • 11,217 Posts
    • 15,096 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 16th May 19, 9:47 AM
    • 16th May 19, 9:47 AM
    Hi there,

I have read the NEWBIES thread advising to either ignore the debt collectors letters or respond robustly, and advising that it is never too late to appeal a PCN. However, I'm unsure how it is I can appeal when the online appeal system just says the case is with the Debt Collector, and doesn't allow me to proceed any further. I have no email address for them. You advise to avoid sending appeals by post where possible, so I'm not sure whether there is some way around the online appeals problem but being able to keep a record of the fact that an appeal was lodged?

Many thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Mimokane
    There is no appeal available now as it is at debt collector stage

The good news is that in the parking scam, debt collectors are simply worthless, powerless sewer life... WHICH YOU IGNORE
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Mimokane
    • By Mimokane 17th May 19, 3:23 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mimokane
    • 17th May 19, 3:23 AM
    • 17th May 19, 3:23 AM
    who's car park was this?
    what parking company?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    The company is F1rst Parking
    The ticket was issued at a hospital car park where I work
    • Mimokane
    • By Mimokane 17th May 19, 3:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mimokane
    • 17th May 19, 3:28 AM
    • 17th May 19, 3:28 AM
    who's car park was this?
    what parking company?
    Originally posted by Half_way
    There is no appeal available now as it is at debt collector stage

The good news is that in the parking scam, debt collectors are simply worthless, powerless sewer life... WHICH YOU IGNORE
    Originally posted by beamerguy
    But if I ignore the fine at this stage, won't it just get worse? I thought the point was to appeal so that it can be frozen and then I can hopefully argue my case from there?

I am also sure that I never received a PCN on my car in the first place. But I've read somewhere on the forum that the company is under no obligation to issue an NTD. However, I also didn't receive an NTK, but instead the first I knew about it was the debt collectors letters.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 6,537 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    waamo
    • 17th May 19, 7:46 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:46 AM
    The opportunity to appeal has now passed. They won't even read it and certainly won't freeze anything.

What you do now is wait for a Letter Before Claim. You will recognise this as it will have financial information forms included in the letter. You respond to this robustly in the hope it will deter them from court proceedings.
    This space for hire.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 17th May 19, 7:52 AM
    • 22,461 Posts
    • 28,473 Thanks
    Redx
    • 17th May 19, 7:52 AM
    • 17th May 19, 7:52 AM
    in the meantime get out your V5C and check the correct name and correct address are on it, any errors etc should be taken up with the DVLA asap

if the details are correct, put an email complaint in to the BPA AOS team about the lack of prior paperwork, also emailing a SAR to the PPC to get copies of those missing documents and look for errors etc
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 17th May 19, 8:19 AM
    • 4,656 Posts
    • 6,685 Thanks
    Half_way
    another question, why did your vehicle attract a parking charge notice?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th May 19, 10:35 AM
    • 71,911 Posts
    • 84,326 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Do what Redx said, to flush out a copy of any PCN or NTK and photos:

put an email complaint in to the BPA AOS team about the lack of prior paperwork, also emailing a SAR to the PPC to get copies of those missing documents and look for errors etc
    The BPA complaint sometimes opens up appeal again for you.

steve.c@britishparking.co.uk

The SAR is explained with a linked example, in the second post of the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,896Posts Today

6,496Users online

Martin's Twitter