Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 15th May 19, 10:49 PM
    • 326Posts
    • 141Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Chaotic Branch Opening Times
    • 15th May 19, 10:49 PM
    Chaotic Branch Opening Times 15th May 19 at 10:49 PM
    I wonder whether this situation is "normal" or should I be making a complaint.

The local branch which I really need to visit (another branches won't do) seems to have totally unpredictable opening times. Last Friday it was supposed to be open as usual according to the website, but when I got there it was shut down with a notice "this branch is closed today, we will be open on Monday". I couldn't come on Monday so I visited again today (Wednesday) to find a similar notice "this branch is closed on 15th and 16th of May, we will be open again on Friday".
    I am pretty certain (based on google reviews) that this happens every week.
    Any thoughts are appreciated.
Page 1
    • Anthonyuk95
    • By Anthonyuk95 15th May 19, 11:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Anthonyuk95
    • 15th May 19, 11:11 PM
    • 15th May 19, 11:11 PM
    Most bank branches are being phased out stealthily. A lot of the services are available at the post office or online.
    • Milarky
    • By Milarky 16th May 19, 5:45 AM
    • 6,290 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Milarky
    • 16th May 19, 5:45 AM
    • 16th May 19, 5:45 AM
    It's a sign of the times, isn't it?
    .....under construction....
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 16th May 19, 6:01 AM
    • 4,149 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 16th May 19, 6:01 AM
    • 16th May 19, 6:01 AM
    Perhaps a small branch hit by a combination of illness and holidays?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 16th May 19, 8:52 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    • 16th May 19, 8:52 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:52 AM
    A lot of them are reducing their opening hours, but I think the staff are still there before and after. Leeds Building Society changed theirs last year to open later and close earlier. They were 9-1 on a Saturday and now it's 9:15-12:45.

Apart from Metro Bank, no banks are even open on a Saturday in London. And during the week a lot of them are 10-4, which strikes me as very odd given the number of people.

They want your business and custom but they don't want to have to pay for any spaces for it. I think it will reach a point where it will go the other way as people do really want branches. There a things that a computer just can't do, not all cases are binary. And Telephone Banking can be so annoying.
    2019 1st Quarter Home Deposit Savings saved: 35,000
    Pension saved: 9800
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 16th May 19, 9:23 AM
    It's a sign of the times, isn't it?
    Originally posted by Milarky
    Was there a pun intended there?
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 16th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    • 16th May 19, 10:15 AM
    • 16th May 19, 10:15 AM
    A lot of them are reducing their opening hours, but I think the staff are still there before and after. Leeds Building Society changed theirs last year to open later and close earlier. They were 9-1 on a Saturday and now it's 9:15-12:45.
    Originally posted by 20SmthngSver
    I don't mind reduced hours (e.g. 1:00pm-4:00pm on Wednesdays), but it's really annoying when advertised opening times have nothing in common with reality.
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 16th May 19, 10:30 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    • 16th May 19, 10:30 AM
    • 16th May 19, 10:30 AM
    I don't mind reduced hours (e.g. 1:00pm-4:00pm on Wednesdays), but it's really annoying when advertised opening times have nothing in common with reality.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    I do because that means they are never open when a lot of people can get there. If you work in a high street, you could get there on during a lunch break. But if you work 8:30-5 like a lot of people do and out of town and it's open either 9-12 on Saturday or just closed, really you're left with little to no option to get there.

Brings me back to my point about banks wanting custom but not making it easy for a lot of people. Everything else is open a full day on a Saturday and even Sunday, so banks should really be open and for longer on a Saturday, even it's is 9-3, 10-4 etc.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 16th May 19, 10:33 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Takmon
    • 16th May 19, 10:33 AM
    • 16th May 19, 10:33 AM
    The local branch which I really need to visit (another branches won't do)
    What do you need to do that means you have to visit one specific branch?

I've never needed to visit a branch in my life and i have accounts with lots of different banks.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 16th May 19, 10:42 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Everything else is open a full day on a Saturday and even Sunday, so banks should really be open and for longer on a Saturday, even it's is 9-3, 10-4 etc.
    Just a quick search on Lloyds website shows that there are branches in (very) central London which are open 9am to 4pm on Saturdays, and 37 branches in total with Saturday openings.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 16th May 19, 10:45 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    What do you need to do that means you have to visit one specific branch?
    Originally posted by Takmon
    To collect foreign currency I've ordered in advance (from my foreign currency account with the bank in question).
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 16th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    Just a quick search on Lloyds website shows that there are branches in (very) central London which are open 9am to 4pm on Saturdays, and 37 branches in total with Saturday openings.
    I'm not sure which ones you're looking at but Charing Cross, Regent Street, TCR, Holborn, St. Paul's, Cheapside, Threadneedle Street, Leadenhall Street an several others around Fitzrovia and Marlybone areas are not open Saturday, and they are very central. The only two closest to these are Paddington and Victoria St in Westminster. Any further in and none are open.

Pretty much every bank in the City of London and City Westminster, and outside of this two areas, are not open on Saturdays.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 16th May 19, 10:57 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    I'm not sure which ones you're looking at...
    I've just went to "branch finder" on their website typed in "London" in the town field and ticked "Saturday opening".
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 16th May 19, 11:01 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    I've just went to "branch finder" on their website typed in "London" in the town field and ticked "Saturday opening".
    But as I've shown, the central ones you're referring to are not actually open. Neither are any of the Santander ones.

I looked at TSB's and although they don't have that many compared to Lloyd's and Santander, they do have some open on a Saturday and some have one day a week early opening as early as 8am and late closure as late as 7pm or 8pm, which is actually beneficial.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 19, 11:10 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,621 Thanks
    agrinnall
    To collect foreign currency I've ordered in advance (from my foreign currency account with the bank in question).

It sounds like you need to call before making a journey to confirm that they are open.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th May 19, 11:50 AM
    • 3,477 Posts
    • 3,935 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Perhaps a small branch hit by a combination of illness and holidays?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    This is going to be the correct answer.

Most bank branches are run on skeleton staff. Small branches doubly so. One person goes off work with the sh*ts or slips and breaks their face or whatever and the branch can't open because it's unsafe. Or there's no supervisor available for the above reasons so they can't open.

Is this OP's fault? No. Is it the bank's fault? Absolutely, they've cut costs to this extent - all banks have, because branch banking is expensive and unprofitable.. Does that meaningfully change the situation that OP should be going to a bigger branch for their currency if that one consistently doesn't meet their needs? Not at all. Although they'd probably get a 50 goodwill gesture if they complained.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 16th May 19, 11:52 AM
    • 462 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Takmon
    That sounds very inconvenient. Don't they provide you with a card that you can use to withdraw the cash while your abroad? (assuming you are going abroad to use the money) or do they charge fees if you do this?.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 16th May 19, 12:30 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    That sounds very inconvenient. Don't they provide you with a card that you can use to withdraw the cash while your abroad? (assuming you are going abroad to use the money) or do they charge fees if you do this?.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    If you know a UK based bank which offers such a debit card for Swiss Francs/Swedish Krona/Chinese Yuan, please let me know.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 16th May 19, 1:38 PM
    • 3,477 Posts
    • 3,935 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    If you know a UK based bank which offers such a debit card for Swiss Francs/Swedish Krona/Chinese Yuan, please let me know.
    It's not a bank, but TransferWise borderless account comes with a debit MasterCard and supports all three currencies including CNY.

https://transferwise.com/gb/travel-money/chinese-yuan-card
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 16th May 19, 5:41 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    Takmon
    I was just interested because it seems a right pain.

I'm assuming that as part of some business you regularly receive payments in foreign currencies into this account/s and then have a need to withdraw it. I have no experience of these types of accounts so have no idea what is on offer.

If you wanted to simply travel abroad and withdraw cash in the local currency from GBP with no fees and almost perfect exchange rate then there are plenty of accounts for that but your needs seem more complex.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,814Posts Today

7,086Users online

Martin's Twitter