Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 15th May 19, 9:52 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 305Thanks
    shinytop
    Vauxhalls - any good?
    • 15th May 19, 9:52 PM
    Vauxhalls - any good? 15th May 19 at 9:52 PM
    I'm looking at 3 year old Astras/Insignias. There are plenty around and relatively cheap. Any experience - good, bad, indifferent? Or are there better alternatives? It has to be an automatic and I don't mind diesel. The last Vauxhall I drove was my dad's Chevette.
Page 2
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 16th May 19, 9:00 PM
    • 2,307 Posts
    • 3,458 Thanks
    Arklight
    I'm looking at 3 year old Astras/Insignias. There are plenty around and relatively cheap. Any experience - good, bad, indifferent? Or are there better alternatives? It has to be an automatic and I don't mind diesel. The last Vauxhall I drove was my dad's Chevette.
    Originally posted by shinytop
    Cars like Vauxhalls, Fords, and Renaults are great up to the point the warranty runs out. If you were revolving new cars on 3 year PCP deals then there is no reason at all not to have one.

I wouldn't want one after that.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 17th May 19, 12:31 AM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Cars like Vauxhalls, Fords, and Renaults are great up to the point the warranty runs out.
    Originally posted by Arklight
    Utter rubbish.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 17th May 19, 4:59 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    As much as we like our Vauxhall's, you'd be crazy to PCP new ones as they lose way too much initial value to make that viable. Why do you think most PCP deals are on German brands!!??

Buying at 1-3 years old is prime value for money. Ours was basically half price at 1 year old with 4500 miles on it.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Scrapit
    • By Scrapit 17th May 19, 6:16 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    Scrapit
    +1

Has never owned one but has taken exception to them {for some reason} and therefore they must be bad cars.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    There's several brands of cars I've never owned but have driven enough to know I wouldn't want to own one, Vauxhall being one of those brands.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 19, 7:32 AM
    • 18,683 Posts
    • 11,510 Thanks
    motorguy
    As much as we like our Vauxhall's, you'd be crazy to PCP new ones as they lose way too much initial value to make that viable. Why do you think most PCP deals are on German brands!!??

Buying at 1-3 years old is prime value for money. Ours was basically half price at 1 year old with 4500 miles on it.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    The best way to own a new Vauxhall is either via a cheap PCP on an entry level / special edition Corsa or Astra (usually very cheap so less money to lose so PCP deals are palatable) or to avail of their 0% APR finance deals (sometimes over 5 years) as and when they come up.

Having said that, unless someone wants something very specific, Vauxhall are pretty much white goods, so someone would be better buying a year old one on a cheap personal loan. Theres thousands about at a lot less than discounted new price.
    Last edited by motorguy; 17-05-2019 at 7:38 AM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 19, 7:37 AM
    • 18,683 Posts
    • 11,510 Thanks
    motorguy
    There's several brands of cars I've never owned but have driven enough to know I wouldn't want to own one, Vauxhall being one of those brands.
    Originally posted by Scrapit
    Thats fine, as is your prerogative, based on your specific needs. Doesnt mean other people shouldnt, based on their needs.

They are generally fine if someone is looking to treat their cars as white goods. They will be a lot cheap than VW, Skoda and probably even Ford.

For example, the Insignia is a very under rated car, especially when its in something like SRi spec with a decent amount of toys. The weak point in that range is the 1.8i petrol variant which, whilst a good engine in other models struggles with the Insignias weight.

Very few of their cars will set the world on fire but a lot of people dont want / need that anyway.

I enjoyed my Insignia when i had it. It was a 2.0CDTI SRi 160BHP 6 speed variant and i'd a tuning box on it that took it to 190BHP or so. Comfy, well spec'd and spacious. Which is exactly what i was looking for at the time.
    Last edited by motorguy; 17-05-2019 at 7:40 AM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • jcb208
    • By jcb208 17th May 19, 10:04 AM
    • 716 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    jcb208
    Had the Astra 2.0 CDTI from a year old, now 9 years old apart from Brakes tyres ect had 1 aircon rad and never let me down .Road tax is £30 a year .I love it
    • KaiserBill
    • By KaiserBill 17th May 19, 11:04 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    KaiserBill
    I have a 2003 Astra 1.6 petrol. Only ever had routine service. Oil, filter, pads etc. One AC regas and a couple of timing belts. Have now owned it for eight years.

Never missed a beat, very happy with it.
    • mgfvvc
    • By mgfvvc 17th May 19, 1:55 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    mgfvvc
    Cars like Vauxhalls, Fords, and Renaults are great up to the point the warranty runs out.
    Originally posted by Arklight
    My 2011 Ford has been out of warranty for some time. The only unscheduled work needed has been brake discs, battery and pothole damage. It's a huge contrast to the last Ford I had which was an A reg Sierra. Based on this one I'd happily have another Ford.

My last Vauxhall was an A reg Astra and while I wouldn't care to repeat the experience I'm not sure it's of any relevance to a modern Astra. My main objection to a modern Astra is that it's ugly. My Ford is a C-Max, so I'm probably throwing stones from inside a glass house.
    • danny91
    • By danny91 17th May 19, 2:05 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    danny91
    Ive got a 2016 Astra K. 1.6T petrol. So far its been faultless. If youre looking at the 1.6 diesel then double check that the recent recall work has been carried out on it, BOTH stage 1 AND stage 2. It was a fault with the hydraulics that operate the clutch and brakes. All components are being replaced.

If you are thinking of one of the petrols, then ensure it has the new type of oil (Dexos 1 Gen 2) the earlier 1.0T and 1.4T astra K's used Dexos 2 oil and some of the engines suffered from LSPI.

Fuel economy in my 1.6T is actually quite decent. Better than the 1.0 eco!!!!! focus I had before. I average around 35 mpg around town and on a long motorway run managed 54 MPG!
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 17th May 19, 6:55 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    shinytop
    Some really good advice, thanks. Like someone said, this will be my "white goods" car so has to be good value and reliable. Unfashionable or even ugly is OK. My washing machine is a last-year's-model Zanussi, not the latest Miele or Smeg . It sounds like a late model, well cared for Astra/Insignia might do the job for me. I'll keep looking around though.
    Last edited by shinytop; 17-05-2019 at 6:57 PM.
    • Bonniepurple
    • By Bonniepurple 17th May 19, 9:31 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    Bonniepurple
    Iím on my third Vauxhall (1 petrol manual Corsa, one diesel manual Zafira, one petrol automatic Zafira). Iíve also driven a variety of other cars and vans. The Vauxhallís have been okay, but nothing special. My current car was a Vauxhall simply because of budget. I needed an automatic people carrier style unexpectedly and funds were tight. Long term, I want a Ford S Max or similar but they are expensive, and automatics even more so.

Would I buy another Vauxhall? Probably not, but it depends on finances at the point of replacement.
    • Barney Rubble 0403
    • By Barney Rubble 0403 18th May 19, 3:43 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Barney Rubble 0403
    I've had good and bad experiences with Vauxhall's throughout many years of ownership.

2 x Cavaliers - high mileage and poorly maintained. They soldiered on and despite battered and abused were great value for money and sadly missed.

2 x Extras - very poor cars. Nice to look at, roomy and a quality feel inside but both suffered from electrical problems and faulty coil packs. High fuel consumption. Had to snap my last one when the vauxhall main dealer couldn't source a cat converter for it.

Did consider a Insignia but went for a Zafira Tourer. Bought it near new with 20k on the clock and now has 120k on it. It has never missed a beat and is a car I really like. Very good fuel consumption for a big 7 seated, well equipped and feels good quality inside.

one of our friends has a Insignia and is very happy with it. Astras are practical, reliable if slightly bland with the newer ones holding up well against Golf and Focus..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

419Posts Today

3,882Users online

Martin's Twitter