Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysavvy35
    • By moneysavvy35 15th May 19, 6:06 PM
    • 384Posts
    • 165Thanks
    moneysavvy35
    0 WOW
    Should I ask for Compensation for having to pay for (Holiday) Breakfast when I shouldnt have?
    • 15th May 19, 6:06 PM
    0 WOW
    Should I ask for Compensation for having to pay for (Holiday) Breakfast when I shouldnt have? 15th May 19 at 6:06 PM
    Hello

So cut a long story short. Made a booking with a Travel Agent. There were 7 of us booked. Package included Breakfast for all in the stay.

Unbeknowns to us. The Hotels policy was that free breakfast was only applicable for 2 people per room, leaving the 7th person having to pay. We were never informed about this 2 people per room policy at any point, and it did not state this on any paperwork.

emailed the travel agent, they will, of course re-imburse (they did not have a leg to stand on if they refused) however due to the inconvenience (believe it or not Breakfast was on average $40 per day so a further $160 needed to be forked out) do you think I should ask for compensation as goodwill also?
Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 15th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 5,403 Posts
    • 3,866 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 15th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 15th May 19, 6:07 PM
    They said they would reimburse so no I don't think you should get compensation too.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • maman
    • By maman 15th May 19, 6:26 PM
    • 19,773 Posts
    • 118,164 Thanks
    maman
    • 15th May 19, 6:26 PM
    • 15th May 19, 6:26 PM
    So you forked out (loved the pun) but you're getting your money refunded. So what's the problem?
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 16th May 19, 12:41 AM
    • 3,952 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 16th May 19, 12:41 AM
    • 16th May 19, 12:41 AM
    ...but you’ll get the $160 back, so what’s the problem?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 16th May 19, 1:19 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    Socajam
    • 16th May 19, 1:19 AM
    • 16th May 19, 1:19 AM
    Greed as usual with everything
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 422 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 16th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:02 AM
    Compo compo compo! Can you show us your best local newspaper compo face, OP?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th May 19, 7:33 AM
    • 20,079 Posts
    • 46,512 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 16th May 19, 7:33 AM
    • 16th May 19, 7:33 AM
    Compensation for what? What additional costs, above the breakfast that you're being refunded for, were incurred for having to pay $5.70 each for one additional breakfast per day?

Did having to spend $5.70 mean you couldn't do other things on your holiday?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th May 19, 8:21 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:21 AM
    $40 for breakfast? Did it come with a bottle of Moet et Chandon every day?
    • fifeken
    • By fifeken 16th May 19, 8:27 AM
    • 2,333 Posts
    • 1,211 Thanks
    fifeken
    • 16th May 19, 8:27 AM
    • 16th May 19, 8:27 AM
    When I read the thread title I immediately thought someone had mixed up the words and meant to ask about reimbursement not compensation. I'm gobsmacked I was wrong. What is it with some people nowadays?
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 16th May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    pattycake
    So to answer the original question “should I ask for compensation....”, the answer is No.
    • moneysavvy35
    • By moneysavvy35 16th May 19, 9:49 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    moneysavvy35
    Thanks for your replies. Yes we are greedy - we were inconvenienced. Recieving a refund would be standard. we were misold that aspect of the the holiday so would expect nothing less. But yes i understand i may be being cheeku and greedy. if u dont ask get...��
    • photome
    • By photome 16th May 19, 2:25 PM
    • 13,958 Posts
    • 9,481 Thanks
    photome
    Thanks for your replies. Yes we are greedy - we were inconvenienced. Recieving a refund would be standard. we were misold that aspect of the the holiday so would expect nothing less. But yes i understand i may be being cheeku and greedy. if u dont ask get...��
    Originally posted by moneysavvy35

how were you inconvenienced?

compo....unbelievable
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th May 19, 2:37 PM
    • 13,022 Posts
    • 8,950 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Originally posted by moneysavvy35

How would you calculate the amount of money to claim? For instance, how much in fees did it cost you to obtain the additional US$40 per day: does this add up to a sum worth mentioning? Did you run out of cash as a result of the unbudgeted breakfast expenditure and so miss out on some element of your holiday? And once you had returned and needed to inform the agent of their mistake: did you waste significant amounts of time communicating with them, providing documentation that they required, or simply being kept 'on hold' on the telephone?

If all of this adds up to a sum worth claiming then go for it, but otherwise let it be.
    • pennylane99
    • By pennylane99 16th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,917 Thanks
    pennylane99
    4 nights in Vegas Cosmo and flights for £550 was cheap anyway, even without the breakfast included
    • moneysavvy35
    • By moneysavvy35 17th May 19, 8:33 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    moneysavvy35
    How would you calculate the amount of money to claim? For instance, how much in fees did it cost you to obtain the additional US$40 per day: does this add up to a sum worth mentioning? Did you run out of cash as a result of the unbudgeted breakfast expenditure and so miss out on some element of your holiday? And once you had returned and needed to inform the agent of their mistake: did you waste significant amounts of time communicating with them, providing documentation that they required, or simply being kept 'on hold' on the telephone?

If all of this adds up to a sum worth claiming then go for it, but otherwise let it be.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    It would have been difficult to put a price on...we didnt run out of cash per se, but it was an extra expense we all had to pay out for! Additionally the clubs in the Hotel also had the same policy - only 2 per room admittance and the 7th had to pay. We decided not to go to any of these as they were very pricey and that would have been harder to claim back.

That being said, I took the refund and left it there. However an acknowledgement that they got things wrongs would have gone down better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,206Posts Today

6,295Users online

Martin's Twitter