Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dinverro
    • By dinverro 15th May 19, 2:59 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 7Thanks
    dinverro
    Character property but very few viewings recently
    • 15th May 19, 2:59 PM
    Character property but very few viewings recently 15th May 19 at 2:59 PM
    Property has been on the market since March 14th and despite a flood of viewings initially, there hasn't been one for 3 weeks now - we purchased it for 355k last March but broke up in January and so need to sell up. We did the outbuilding up which could make a great air Bnb or other business, added a fence, and changed the 70 year old Aga to a large Smeg range cooker which will stay with the house too. Would the large price jump be putting would be buyers off I wonder? It is a character full property with planning permission to extend into the 2 storey outbuilding included plus parking outside and in the property. I would be interested to know thoughts. Link below (just add the www.)-

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60917109.html
Page 3
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th May 19, 12:00 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Viewings but no offers = slightly overpriced.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th May 19, 12:06 PM
    • 35,815 Posts
    • 21,920 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Have you had the "what's the lowest we will take" discussion yet?

How much of a premium did you put on the price when you bought for the planning?

Who owns what's under bedroom 2
    • dinverro
    • By dinverro 16th May 19, 12:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dinverro
    No discussion on lowest price as yet but for sure that needs to happen sooner rather than later. We didn't put any premium on the price with regards to planning permission that exists currently.

It is actually bedroom 3 that is above next doors house (kitchen)
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th May 19, 11:17 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 2,813 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Viewings but no offers = slightly overpriced.
    Originally posted by quantumlobster
    Or in many cases = Well overpriced.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 17th May 19, 6:28 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 964 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    Or in many cases = Well overpriced.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    No. Well overpriced = no viewings at all.

You'd know that, though, if you'd bought or sold something this century.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 17th May 19, 6:54 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    To me this looks like "we want to make our money back plus moving costs etc". Nothing to do with the value of the house. I would knock money off what you paid for it in this current climate.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th May 19, 7:27 AM
    • 35,815 Posts
    • 21,920 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Had a look a bit further out for interesting places.

375k SSTC and nice garden.

370k problem layout.

355k loads of accommodation next to the train line built up area.

350k potential

335k seems to be bhind other houses not sure on access and parking.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 17th May 19, 8:02 AM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 982 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    No. Well overpriced = no viewings at all.
    Originally posted by quantumlobster
    To be fair I personally start with the assumption that most houses are well over priced (to take account of vendors' ego/pride, estate agents winning business, and climate) so it wouldn't stop me looking.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 17th May 19, 9:36 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    The Right of Way would definitely be the end of my interest in the property were I looking to buy in your area, OP.

Even as it currently stands I wouldn't consider it, I'm afraid. We ruled out several properties last year when moving from England to Wales because there were ROWs running through what were often several acres of land, some of which were also well away from the house - unlike yours.

As for the proposed relocating of the ROW should the main house be extended and linked to the Old Post Office, that sounds - and looks - most peculiar and I can't imagine many people wanting to go ahead, despite planning having been approved....sorry!

We've been in the position previously of needing to sell quickly - different reason, ours being to move closer to ageing, sick relatives - and found the best way to achieve a quick sale was to slash our asking price considerably. We found a buyer within ten days. Not the way everyone would do it - and perhaps you aren't as desperate as we were - but it worked for us

I do hope you find a buyer soon - despite its limitations it's still an interesting house with potential. Good luck!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th May 19, 9:39 AM
    • 9,450 Posts
    • 11,358 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    It is actually bedroom 3 that is above next doors house (kitchen)
    Originally posted by dinverro
    Do you and they have interlinked fire detection systems or are you just hoping not to die in your beds?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • dinverro
    • By dinverro 17th May 19, 9:51 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dinverro
    Separate fire detection systems - it's just the back bedroom and bathroom that are over next doors house (lovely neighbours I might add)!!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 19, 9:52 AM
    • 14,222 Posts
    • 16,927 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    So to summarise, and this is what I can see from the adverts and discussion here, it has ROW through garden, PP which requires relocating ROW, bedroom above neighbours kitchen (smell and noise), smallish garden for rural setting, dirty looking bare floorboards, no garage and limited if any off road parking, access to house is direct off road, and high price with no justification for increase since selling a year ago
    And you've posted to ask why viewings have dropped.
    I think you will need to wait for someone who really needs an annex and will overlook the other issues because the annex is key to them, for a lowered price. I think you have zero justification asking more than you bought it for, for a start.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 17-05-2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • dinverro
    • By dinverro 17th May 19, 10:18 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dinverro
    A lot of money has been spent on the outbuilding converting it and soundproofing it, also another small outbuilding on the end of it (the black wood one) which has washing machine and freezers but could be used for other utility stuff.... plus the smeg oven which was 3500 which replaced the broken aga that was a fuel drain, money pit and useless in the Summer - so one could argue there is justification for a slight increase in price for sure - I agree 385k is far too much though.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 17th May 19, 11:40 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    A lot of money has been spent on the outbuilding converting it and soundproofing it, also another small outbuilding on the end of it (the black wood one) which has washing machine and freezers but could be used for other utility stuff.... plus the smeg oven which was 3500 which replaced the broken aga that was a fuel drain, money pit and useless in the Summer - so one could argue there is justification for a slight increase in price for sure - I agree 385k is far too much though.
    Yes, but not everything you do to a property automatically adds value. For example, in a previous house (also old and very characterful) we removed most of the hideous woodchip wallpaper that smothered almost every surface, replastered where necessary, repainted including externally in tasteful (imho, lol!), period colours, removed all pink and/or swirly carpets and stripped/painted the floorboards, fitted new fencing to two sides of the large garden (the remainder was walled) and spent well in excess of 2k on plants.

None of these *improvements* added any value......but we hadn't expected them to......
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over 40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 35,815 Posts
    • 21,920 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Keep an eye on all the SSTC places that are a bit unusual and see what they sell through at.

Remember these are the people that have been looking while your is available and they viewed and bought not bothering with yours.

Some will be because of location but people looking in your area will be comparing and have in their head I could have got that for X0k less than they are asking.

At least you have evidence then to show the ex.

with no viewing you need to do something quick if you want it cashed out before Xmas.

If the ex is sticking on price get them to buy you out at the price you are happy with.
    Don't move out.
    Last edited by getmore4less; 17-05-2019 at 11:47 AM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 19, 11:47 AM
    • 14,222 Posts
    • 16,927 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

Bear in mind, my reply was from the POV of someone looking at the advert plus reading what you wrote. So whilst you may have done (for all I know) 30k work to what was otherwise a useless derelict outbuilding) none of that is visible to anyone like me looking. And thats what partly drives my price expectation.
    Does the advert say that the annex has been ?insulated? Soundproofed? Added electric supply? Nope, it just says "upgraded" - what does that mean/ If its usable as a recording studio for example, then for goodness sake say it dont just hint at it with some guitars
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • dinverro
    • By dinverro 17th May 19, 11:51 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dinverro
    The agent is coming round Monday and more photos will be taken and they will also change the wording, so I will try and get this good advice reflected in that.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 12:49 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    need an answer
    The agent is coming round Monday and more photos will be taken and they will also change the wording, so I will try and get this good advice reflected in that.
    That's a positive thing that the agent is coming back to do more photos,however unless you plan to spend the weekend fixing floors and generally tidying up much of the property and garden,they still have just the same old,same old to take pictures of!

Are you and your ex now both agreed that the price also needs to drop?
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • dinverro
    • By dinverro 17th May 19, 1:10 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    dinverro
    We need to have that conversation but it will happen - it is more also that the studio needs some pics more as it is soundproofed with some cool LED lights around the ceiling and stuff like that with an upright piano. The garden could be shown better with photos anyway - I cannot change the inside of the house unfortunately now.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 17th May 19, 1:12 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    bigisi
    it is more also that the studio needs some pics more as it is soundproofed with some cool LED lights around the ceiling and stuff like that with an upright piano.
    Which means precisely nothing to anyone who doesn't need a soundproofed room with "cool" lights and a piano they probably don't want leaving by the vendors.

I'd say the chances of finding anyone who want those specifics are quite (very) slim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

3,613Users online

Martin's Twitter