Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 15th May 19, 2:35 PM
    • 931Posts
    • 297Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    Smart meter question
    • 15th May 19, 2:35 PM
    Smart meter question 15th May 19 at 2:35 PM
    I have just switched supplier and have a smart meter from old supplier which I am sure is a 1st generation one. I have left the small display unit connected to mains just to see what happens. It still appears to be reading the meters. However am I correct in saying that this is only local and that the smart meter will not be able to be read by my new supplier?

Thanks
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
Page 1
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    • 4,467 Posts
    • 2,849 Thanks
    matelodave
    • 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    • 15th May 19, 2:49 PM
    It depends which meter you've got and how it's configured.

Mine was supplied by SSE two years ago and is an Elsterr 300p with an SSE IHD

My IHD still displays the current meter reading together with history data for the past day (hourly), past month (daily) and past 13 months (monthly).

It wont display the cost as that is data provided by the supplier.

As far as I'm concerned just the fact I can read the meter without going outside in the rain, snow and wind is all I need
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 15th May 19, 3:59 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 15th May 19, 3:59 PM
    • 15th May 19, 3:59 PM
    It's pretty likely that you're correct in thinking it won't currently be able to be read by your new supplier. They are supposed to be upgrading SMETS1 meters to enable them to be read by any supplier - sometime in the future. In the short term, if your small display unit (IHD) is still showing information, great, just remember that as matelodave says, the prices won't be correct as it is still set up for your old tariff. Also make sure that the meter readings it displays are the same as the readings on the actual meter(s).
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 15th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 15th May 19, 4:22 PM
    • 15th May 19, 4:22 PM
    ....and make sure that you are giving your supplier the correct units for gas -they require cu m. Some/most IHDs give the reading in kwh which is an approximation.
    • TREVORCOLMAN
    • By TREVORCOLMAN 16th May 19, 7:10 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    TREVORCOLMAN
    • 16th May 19, 7:10 AM
    Smart meter
    • 16th May 19, 7:10 AM
    Thanks for replies.

I like the fact that I can still take the readings without having to move all the junk out of a cupboard and get on my back to do the readings!!

Good advice that the financial part of the reading is now US.
    I am NOT a mortgage & insurance adviser - or anything to do with finance, that was put on by the new system I dont know why?!
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th May 19, 4:15 PM
    • 16,710 Posts
    • 143,220 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 16th May 19, 4:15 PM
    • 16th May 19, 4:15 PM
    I was a first utility customer and Shell took them over and I have just had a call from the company who are fitting smart meters for Shell to say I MUST have a meter fitted or I will have to go on a different tariff is this correct or can I refuse I wasn't told this when I joined First Utility from EDF last March I am not keen on having a smart meter an am quite happy to read my meter and give them a reading online every month Thr chap on the phone was quite aggressive and very put out when I said I didn't want one
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th May 19, 5:07 PM
    • 16,710 Posts
    • 143,220 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 16th May 19, 5:07 PM
    • 16th May 19, 5:07 PM
    Following on to my previous post I have just been speaking to a very helpful young man at Shell and he assured me that as I hadn't had a meter fitted by First Utility within the first six months of my F/U contract I could still have the tariff I am on, and I don't have to have a SM fitted if I don't want to.
    Just shows ringing up and querying it was well worth the wait on hold, and there are sensible people if you can get past the automated phone systems and talk to a real human being One happy old lady once more
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,484Posts Today

6,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin