Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • evergreen
    • By evergreen 15th May 19, 9:32 AM
    • 383Posts
    • 82Thanks
    evergreen
    Have to leave flat and on housing benefit
    • 15th May 19, 9:32 AM
    Have to leave flat and on housing benefit 15th May 19 at 9:32 AM
    A pensioner friend of mine in 66 and her landlord has given her notice as he needs to move into the flat. She is on full housing benefit as she only has her state pension. However she can't find anywhere to rent for what the council says they will pay. She can't get a council place as she is not disabled. What can she do, what is the maximum council will pay as they are saying 350 which seems very low for trying to rent a one bedroom flat in the south. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks
Page 2
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 17th May 19, 10:07 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,434 Thanks
    NeilCr
    She's not homeless yet and they won't do anything until she is. Even then unless she's priority they most likely won't help.

Privately renting maybe the only option here.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    My LA got government funding for four posts to assist people to stay in accommodation, if at all possible, if they are facing eviction.

This team will see people when they have received an eviction notice and will attempt to help.

I am not saying this is the same in all LAs or they would necessarily be able to help in this instance but I think it's worth contacting the local housing team to see if there is anything they can do. If nothing else they may have a list of local landlords and they may have a fund for deposits
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 17th May 19, 6:45 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 1,966 Thanks
    tomtom256
    She's not homeless yet and they won't do anything until she is. Even then unless she's priority they most likely won't help.

Privately renting maybe the only option here.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    The law changed last year and councils have a duty to prevent people becoming homeless and have to help earlier in the process.

The DWP and certain agencies also now have a duty to refer anybody that is homeless or at risk of being homeless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6Posts Today

3,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin