Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stroppymare
    • By stroppymare 15th May 19, 8:43 AM
    • 37Posts
    • 14Thanks
    stroppymare
    Charged twice on Credit card
    • 15th May 19, 8:43 AM
    Charged twice on Credit card 15th May 19 at 8:43 AM
    On 9th of November I bought six tickets for activities at SeaWorld,Orlando for our visit on 11th. I completed all the necessary details and paid with a Nationwide credit card, 320$. Immediately a note flashed up on the mobile saying that the transaction had been unsuccessful. I repeated the process,paid again, this time excluding the parking, only because it wouldnít add it, $282.
    Checking my account later, both transactions had been put through. I contacted Nationwide via telephone and was told they would put the necessary paperwork in the post to be completed and returned on my return to the UK. This I did.
    I have now received a letter from Nationwide saying that there is no basis to raise a claim against the merchant as I received confirmation for both orders. It is obvious that the Order was duplicated. It was for the same activities, same date, same time and for the same named people.
    Nationwide also suggest that I cancel the tickets if it is 72 hours before my scheduled date of arrival; A bit late as it is clearly stated on the email that the tickets were for the 11th of April.
    They also point out that it was my responsibility to check before rebooking whether the transaction had gone through, but transactions do not show in such a short space of time. (A transaction made yesterday afternoon is still not showing today).
    Nationwide are usually very quick to query transactions of similar amounts made to the same company, In such a short space of time.
    They have suggested I refer to Seaworld which I have done but any other suggestions gratefully received.
Page 2
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 15th May 19, 11:13 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Thanks for the info. My earlier post crossed with yours, so I hadn't read yours when I sent mine. Anyway, 'Cancelled Services' is another new one on me. I don't know, you turn your back on the world of Chargebacks for just 15 years and everything changes!
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    Hey TT

Visa rules have changed a bit in recent times. 13.7 is a rule that covers

1. The cardholder cancelling a purchase in line with the merchants t&cs and not being refunded

2. The merchant failing to disclose the terms and conditions of cancellation at the point of sale. And the merchant refuses to refund.

What if the service is non-refundable or has a cancellation charge? SeaWorld has not cancelled any services; the customer has.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    See above. And thatís why I didnít suggest it as itís more of a loophole chargeback.
    • COIAHLGW
    • By COIAHLGW 16th May 19, 2:05 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    COIAHLGW
    Nationwide was not very helpful to me when I had a similar duplicate payment situation. My payment amounts were the same however.

Fortunately I was able to resolve it by having the retailer look at their merchant account, and they saw the duplicate payment there. Getting to that correct person however was a long and frustrating process....
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 16th May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Sadly, not all card issuers are created equal - and that can be crucial when confronted with a problem transaction. Sometimes it is a good idea to contact the retailer first (but don't waste too much time doing so) and sometimes you actually have to try to resolve the matter with the retailer before your issuer can intervene with a Chargeback.

Looks like Nationwide need to invest a bit more in Chargeback training for their staff.
    Last edited by Terry Towelling; 16-05-2019 at 6:47 PM. Reason: bolding text for emphasis
    • stroppymare
    • By stroppymare 16th May 19, 6:47 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    stroppymare
    UPDATE
    Thank you all for your recommendations/opinions.
    I have just received an email from SeaWorld who have responded (in less than 24hrs),
    “ ........we will of course refund the overpayment”.
    Love ‘em or hate ‘em, that’s great customer service.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 16th May 19, 11:14 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Glad you got it sorted

Still very poor from Nationwide though
    • stroppymare
    • By stroppymare 17th May 19, 2:11 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    stroppymare
    I agree and will be writing to tell them so!
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 17th May 19, 9:03 AM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    If it were me, I would be writing your letter as an official complaint!!
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• stroppymare
    • By stroppymare 17th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    stroppymare
    I have to admit I’m not very happy with the way that nationwide handled this but on what grounds do I base my complaint? Thanks
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 17th May 19, 9:21 AM
    • 2,951 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Because they left you to do all the legwork...offering you little support toward getting the matter resolved satisfactorily. Surely Nationwide could have done more to help...given their initial advice when you contacted them was that they would resolve the problem and arrange a refund upon your return home...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• stroppymare
    • By stroppymare 17th May 19, 9:48 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    stroppymare
    Thanks. I will do that.
    It’s certainly not what I expected from a company of which i have been a loyal customer for nearly 50 years!
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 17th May 19, 11:20 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    In your letter of complaint explain that you believe their decision to refuse a chargeback was incorrect. Their complaints team should then review this and hopefully uphold your complaint.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

532Posts Today

4,571Users online

Martin's Twitter