Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daveandgelly
    • By daveandgelly 15th May 19, 7:02 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daveandgelly
    car windscreen replacement
    • 15th May 19, 7:02 AM
    car windscreen replacement 15th May 19 at 7:02 AM
    Has anyone had problems with premiums going up due to car windsreen being replaced even though ncb still unaffected.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th May 19, 7:11 AM
    • 22,380 Posts
    • 21,198 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 15th May 19, 7:11 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:11 AM
    Some insurers take account of 'screen claims, some don't. Shop around. How they calculate it doesn't make a difference - the only price that matters is the premium quoted.

But, obviously, make sure that you're getting what you think you're getting and want to get. Not all policies are equal. Some insurers chisel the headline price back by removing policy benefits.

The base premium is calculated based on your situation (including claims history), then NCD is taken off that - so, yes, any factors that increase the base premium are before NCD.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 15th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 4,085 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 15th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:26 AM
    I'm waiting to find out about this after having mine broken for the second time in 2 months by kids thowing stones (deliberately). Renewal should be landing in the next month....
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 15th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 15th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 15th May 19, 7:51 AM
    Has anyone had problems with premiums going up due to car windsreen being replaced even though ncb still unaffected.
    Originally posted by daveandgelly
    How would you know how much affect a windscreen claim had if the renewal quote rose?
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 17th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 4,085 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 17th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:31 PM
    Got my renewal through yesterday @ 220, but they weren't showing the 2 recent windscreen claims from vandalism (12th March and 11th May) so phoned them today to remind them of those and - just to be safe - let them know about the broken rear screen on 31st March (also vandalism) which I hadn't put a claim in for.

They ran it through the system and came back with 247,, which I'm happy enough with - was a little worried they might just decide too many claims and suggest I went elsewhere.

On the plus side, also got a visit from the Police, they've identified the little gits responsible for the latest one, and there's a 10 year old out there who will have gone home from school to a pleasant surprise today

eta: That's with Tesco btw (the insurance, not the surprise after school )
    Last edited by Joe Horner; 17-05-2019 at 8:34 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 18th May 19, 2:02 AM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 18th May 19, 2:02 AM
    • 18th May 19, 2:02 AM
    Originally posted by daveandgelly
    NCB being unaffected doesn't mean your insurance won't go up if you make a claim or someone claims against you. It is a common misconception that if you take out protected NCD that your insurance won't rise. It will however what won't change will be the discount applied to the base quote.

How it works:

Example, you have 60% NCD.
    Quote without NCD is 1000. NCD is applied, you pay 400.

You then have a smash and put in a claim. You have protected NCD so your NCD stays at 60%.
    Renewal quote without NCD taking into account the claim is 2000. Because you have 60% NCD you pay 800.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

6,148Users online

Martin's Twitter