Nervous Retiree

Comments

• Albermarle wrote: »
    Moving retirement funds into cash or similar soon before retiring, is only sensible if you plan to buy an annuity. If you intend to go into drawdown or maybe not even touch the money for a few years, then you should just leave the money invested .
    I was advised to move into cash in order to protect my 25% tax free sum just in case of market volatility.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There is always market volatility. Swapping the lot to cash just to be sure of an exact figure for a TFLS sounds pretty drastic
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was advised to move into cash in order to protect my 25% tax free sum just in case of market volatility.

Who advised you to do that? Could be a potential missale. Or was this a man-down-the-pub style comment?

It is the sort of thing people did before 2015 but not after that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If Deleted_User had an interest-only mortgage coming up to maturity that they wanted to pay off with the tax free cash, it might make sense.

But if you are not planning to spend all the tax free cash at a specific date in the next five years which cannot be deferred, it is much less likely to make sense.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 May 2019 at 11:12AM
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Who advised you to do that? Could be a potential missale. Or was this a man-down-the-pub style comment?

It is the sort of thing people did before 2015 but not after that.
    I retire in 15 months time. The advice was given in July last year by an IFA.
    I am cautious by nature and hold no savings in cash and no ISAs and my DC pensions were all in lifestyle funds (for another thread about why the price for lifestyle funds within 12 months of retirement still fluctuates as much as the stock market).
    I plan to go into drawdown and take my lump sum almost immediately as I will be retiring to a country who classifies it as income and as such taxable - the drawdown fund will be invested in my IFAs balanced portfolio. The remainder will be reinvested in savings accounts and also ISAs and also provide some tax free income for the next year, Although I am debating whether to leave some in the drawdown for tax free use if we ever come back to the UK in the future.
    I put 90% of my DC funds into cash and am still investing 27% of my salary into my company pension but not into lifestyle funds.
    I have estimated I have saved approx £70,000 my making the switch to cash. Yes I know it might recover but I would prefer certainty. (I haven't checked for a while)
    Possibly the wrong thing to do but it makes me sleep well.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I retire in 15 months time. The advice was given in July last year by an IFA.

I apologise, I thought you were the OP and had their scenario in mind. I just scrolled back up and realised you were not.

Phasing to 100% cash was commonplace when you intend to buy an annuity or draw the full amount. That is due to the defined point in time when the investments will end. After 2015, with drawdown being the main method, that is no longer the case. Going into conventional drawdown is no reason to phase to cash as you will likely be invested for another 20-30 years after you retire.

Your scenario is quite unusual and requires different action to the typical UK consumer. The OP appears to have no valid reason for going 100% cash. However, it is always impossible to say on the basis of a couple of paragraphs and where information on threads tends to be given over multiple posts.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

But you dont appear to have needed the TFLS? How long woudl you leave it in cash for, dropping 2-3% in real value every year?
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am cautious by nature and hold no savings in cash and no ISAs

How can a cautious person have no savings?
  • choi
    choi Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I originally move my pension investment into cash as I was happy with its value
    I intended setting up an annuity fairly soon after
    However I continued working in my business and the profits were high enough to compensate for loss on my pot and my savings
    Plus I was just too busy working to have the time to meet and arrange a way forwards

My current fairly risk free plan was as follows

Buy an annuity guaranteed for 30 Years with 3% increase per year
    Giving £7k per year increasing
    Add to this my state pension of £8k per year
    There would be a small amount of tax to pay
    Top up with tax free cash from my savings giving me around £20k per year
    My wife is still working and will get state pension when she retires plus an occupational pension

All of our bills are currently paid from rental income on our second house

I would then look at investing some of my savings in low and medium risk investments

Do I need an IFA to do a full plan
    Or to just discuss options from my savings

I have been quoted £5k for producing a personal plan
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    £5k is a reasonable initial fee. You can get lower (especially if you required ongoing advice). The most important thing however is whether you are comfortable with the adviser and what they propose. You can always find someone who will do the job cheaper, you can't always find someone who will do it better.

Do you need a lifetime annuity when your wife has State Pension and occupational pension to come in later? Would that leave you with "too much" guaranteed income once those kick in (i.e. you spent too much of your pension funds on guaranteed income you won't need?)

What if we go through another period of the kind of inflation we saw in the 70s, after you'd spent all / most of your pension fund on an annuity increasing at 3%?

Is that a joint annuity or single you are looking at? If the latter, would you wife have sufficient income if you died?

The protection offered by annuities comes at a very high price. Going for a 3% annuity rather than one linked to RPI suggests you are trying to keep that cost down while still keeping some protection against rising costs, but trying to keep the cost of an annuity down is like haggling in Harrods.

None of these questions are to suggest you shouldn't buy an annuity, they are only points that should be considered. If you see an IFA they will also go through these questions to make sure it is the right decision.

How much is the buy-to-let worth? There could be Inheritance Tax implications to consider. Spending your IHT-exempt pension fund on annuity which dies with you, when you have substantial assets outside a pension which you could spend instead, is potentially Inheritance Tax inefficient under current rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure