Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bigwigg
    • By Bigwigg 13th May 19, 7:09 PM
    • 113Posts
    • 77Thanks
    Bigwigg
    Sky scanner for trains?
    • 13th May 19, 7:09 PM
    Sky scanner for trains? 13th May 19 at 7:09 PM
    Iíve got a random day off next week- woulike to go somewhere for a day out on the train but being late notice itís pricey. Is there the equivalent of Skyscanner but for trains so I could but the date in and just see what the prices were to different destinations without specifying one?
Page 1
    • CarlosBarrera
    • By CarlosBarrera 15th May 19, 1:45 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CarlosBarrera
    • 15th May 19, 1:45 AM
    • 15th May 19, 1:45 AM
    What exactly are skyscanners?
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 15th May 19, 12:05 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 15th May 19, 12:05 PM
    • 15th May 19, 12:05 PM
    Skyscanner is a website which helps you find cheap airfares in a way that doesn't require you to know exactly where you want to go. Google Flights does something similar if you stick your dates in and put your destination as 'Europe', it will give you a nice overview of what the prices are to different destinations.

I don't know of anything similar for the rail network, but it would be tricky due to the sheer number of stations on the UK network, many of which are not interesting to tourists. So you'd probably get a list of two and half thousand places roughly ordered by distance from your local station.
    • Kernow666
    • By Kernow666 15th May 19, 12:48 PM
    • 3,364 Posts
    • 3,124 Thanks
    Kernow666
    • 15th May 19, 12:48 PM
    • 15th May 19, 12:48 PM
    I booked a train ticket in march via skyscanner and saved £5 off the price which was a bonus was originally £68 but got it for £63 , was a bit sceptical but was emailed the reservation code and collected my tickets at the machine at the station ok
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 15th May 19, 7:56 PM
    • 34,180 Posts
    • 21,593 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 15th May 19, 7:56 PM
    • 15th May 19, 7:56 PM
    What exactly are skyscanners?
    Originally posted by CarlosBarrera
    You from England or America ?
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 16th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 16th May 19, 8:50 PM
    • 16th May 19, 8:50 PM
    Skyscanner discontinued selling train tickets on 2 April 2019. Train journeys are pretty much predicated on the passenger knowing where they want to go to, and then using various methods to find the best fare. Where are you starting from? Some train companies let you book "Advance" tickets right up the day before, or even the hour before your trip. Such tickets are good value but you locked have to travel on the specific train for which the ticket is issued. The tickets are booked online or using the train company's app, and can be collected from a machine at the station, or downloaded to the app. There are other so-called "rover" tickets which let you cover a specific area travelling on as many trains as you like. It is in fact horrendously complicated.
    • cats whiskers
    • By cats whiskers 18th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    cats whiskers
    • 18th May 19, 3:09 PM
    • 18th May 19, 3:09 PM
    Try the Train Pal [/B] app. Hope you have a great day out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter