Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th May 19, 8:46 AM
    • 22,627Posts
    • 18,622Thanks
    agrinnall
    Everything slow after BSODs
    • 13th May 19, 8:46 AM
    Everything slow after BSODs 13th May 19 at 8:46 AM
    Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, i7, 8MB RAM, 128GB SSD with 33GB free, Win 10 Home build 17763.

I've had a few BSODs over the last couple of days, mainly with stop code kernel security check failure although one was something to do with driver validation.

Since this started my machine has been running very slowly, it's as if something is using up vast amounts of resources but there's nothing obvious to me in task manager.

I've run Malwarebytes, that hasn't found anything, ensured all W10 updates have been installed, and done a disk cleanup. None of it has helped, so I'm hoping you guys can suggest some other things I could try. I've backed up all my data so if drastic action is required that shouldn't be an issue.
Page 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 13th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 13th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 13th May 19, 10:17 AM
    Look in Task Manager to see if there's any task taking lots of CPU time?

Both the next two commands in a Command Prompt window probably "run as Administrator":

chkdsk c: /f /v /r
    and allow it to reboot, when you have an hour or two (maybe!) to spare?

sfc /scannow
    to see see if there are corrupt files?
    • that
    • By that 13th May 19, 10:21 AM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    that
    • 13th May 19, 10:21 AM
    • 13th May 19, 10:21 AM
    first guess would be ram, part of it may have gone bad or become unplugged.

second guess would be disk, if it is an old magnetic one. SSD yend to just die. Run out of space?

remember to look in eventviewer (windows os)
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th May 19, 10:38 AM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 13th May 19, 10:38 AM
    • 13th May 19, 10:38 AM
    Have you had a look in event log?
    Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th May 19, 11:13 AM
    • 13th May 19, 11:13 AM
    Thanks for the responses. Some points raised are already covered in the OP so I won't repeat them.

Both the next two commands in a Command Prompt window probably "run as Administrator":

sfc /scannow
    Originally posted by John Gray

I'll do this when I have an opportunity.

first guess would be ram, part of it may have gone bad or become unplugged.
    Originally posted by that

I have just run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it found no errors, so if that's an accurate diagnosis I presume the memory is OK.

second guess would be disk, if it is an old magnetic one. SSD yend to just die. Run out of space?

I guess this will be covered to some extent by John's suggestion (no space problem, see OP).

remember to look in eventviewer (windows os)

Have you had a look in event log?
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

I've looked, and there are errors, but how do I know which are significant and which are irrelevant?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th May 19, 11:21 AM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th May 19, 11:21 AM
    • 13th May 19, 11:21 AM
    Could it be a temperature issue, might that cause a slowdown? I've pretty much always used this computer on my lap with half an eye on the TV (my work computer is used on a desk as some people have recommended in past threads) and I've never opened it up in the 4 years that I've owned it so it could be in need of having fluff removed.
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 13th May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 13th May 19, 11:45 AM
    • 13th May 19, 11:45 AM
    Yes, computer components will throttle down if they overheat. My first ever PC was fine until summer, when it started crashing - case fan installed wrong way round, but low ambient temperatures in winter meant it never quite overheated.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th May 19, 12:39 PM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 3,745 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 13th May 19, 12:39 PM
    • 13th May 19, 12:39 PM
    My money is on a failing hard drive fella ..

Back up anything you need whilst it still reads , and then replace with an SSD when you can
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 13th May 19, 12:59 PM
    • 13th May 19, 12:59 PM
    My money is on a failing hard drive fella ..

Back up anything you need whilst it still reads , and then replace with an SSD when you can
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Erm does he not say it has an ssd
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th May 19, 1:06 PM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I've looked, and there are errors, but how do I know which are significant and which are irrelevant?
    any red ones also try https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 13th May 19, 1:18 PM
    • 4,256 Posts
    • 3,745 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Erm does he not say it has an ssd
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem

Oh yeah thanks - trying to do 10 things at once

If the CPU and memory usage are within normal ranges then my money is still on the drive
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 13th May 19, 1:43 PM
    • 1,687 Posts
    • 1,096 Thanks
    wongataa
    I have just run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool and it found no errors, so if that's an accurate diagnosis I presume the memory is OK.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I have had memory that passed diagnostic tests but still crashed the computer because it was faulty. Passing the test is not a guarantee it is OK.

The system errors marked error or something equally strong are the ones to start with. You will find one that corresponds with the BSOD. Events of that type are the ones to investigate.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 13th May 19, 2:59 PM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 1,974 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    After you've hoovered (carefully) for dust... time for a Windows10 refresh...search/Contana for "Reset this PC" and keep data/apps... (backup data first just in case).
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 13-05-2019 at 3:03 PM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th May 19, 4:35 PM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Thanks to all, I'll be away for the next 2 days but when I'm back I'll try out the suggestions, making sure that my data is kept backed up just in case the SSD does give up the ghost. If anything works I'll report back in case it helps somebody else.
    • that
    • By that 13th May 19, 5:51 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    that
    To be honest, think it is more a disk issue too, but in some case that 4GB memory dies, and becomes 2GB (or in my case 1G was 4+1) and it still passes the memory test .

You probably know what is in there, just make sure it is still all there,

If you have done all the other bits listed above, and still grasping at straws, then malware bytes.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 13th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    To be honest, think it is more a disk issue too, but in some case that 4GB memory dies, and becomes 2GB (or in my case 1G was 4+1) and it still passes the memory test .

You probably know what is in there, just make sure it is still all there,

If you have done all the other bits listed above, and still grasping at straws, then malware bytes.
    Originally posted by that
    It has an SSD, he has run Malwarebytes, made sure all updates are up to date
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th May 19, 9:32 PM
    • 8,828 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    esuhl
    Sounds like it could be a driver issue to me...?

I was getting random BSODs years ago with XP. The only workaround was to uninstall the device drivers for the on-board firewall. (It was a weird motherboard!)

I'd check to see if you have the latest chipset (motherboard) drivers, BIOS, etc.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 19, 7:46 PM
    • 22,627 Posts
    • 18,622 Thanks
    agrinnall

sfc /scannow
    Originally posted by John Gray

I've now done both of these, neither reported any issue. I think the next thing will be to get the tiny screwdriver out and clean inside, then perhaps do the reset as grumpycrap suggests to see if that sorts things out.
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 17th May 19, 8:08 PM
    • 9,012 Posts
    • 6,799 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    Did event viewer/blue screenview tell you what caused the BSODs? Oh and are they still occurring?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 18th May 19, 3:20 AM
    • 8,828 Posts
    • 6,836 Thanks
    esuhl
    And did you check you have the latest drivers installed? I think these are the ones to have a look at:

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-2-pro-lenovo/downloads
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,306Posts Today

6,694Users online

Martin's Twitter