Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th May 19, 5:35 AM
    • 2,720Posts
    • 18,619Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 13th May?
    • 13th May 19, 5:35 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 13th May? 13th May 19 at 5:35 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
Page 4
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 16th May 19, 8:39 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 873 Thanks
    ditty1234
    My list for today:
    Work for money - didn't happen
    Gardening - didn't
    NSD - done
    Apply for work - done
    Make dinner from store - done and it was delicious
    Save hedgehog (twice) - done
    Walk dog with neighbour - done (after first and failed attempt of releasing hedgehog)
    Update budget sheet - done
    Release hedgehog and walk DS - done
    Drink tea w friend - done
    So a completely waisted day, but a very lovely one.
    Groceries 260 in May
    Debt Free Wannabe LBM Jan 2019 -25.928 (DMP w SC 125 a month from June))
    EF 0 March 2019 /EF 300 in May 2019
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th May 19, 5:59 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 18,619 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all just enjoying a cuppa with the cat before I get on with today and a quick catch up on here.

Cat sorry times are tough again. Just one more week to the hols. Hang in there. You're amazing.

My list for today:
    Boiled some eggs whilst making my morning cuppa, quick and cheap snacks for work/school lunches and nutritious
    Cobble together some lunch from leftovers in fridge, bit of pepper, cooked chicken, chickpeas and cous cous
    Hot drink for commute
    Check banking
    Move money for mot that DH car passed this week from car piggy
    Quick shower, wash hair with shampoo bar
    Find something for tea in freezer/stores
    Have a chilled night with DH watching something on tv as feel like I've not seen him all week

Have a good day everyone. Purps.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th May 19, 6:44 AM
    • 7,255 Posts
    • 43,162 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning purps

Today plans are simple:

* filling in windowsill. Sand shelves upstairs. When filling gone off coat of gloss
    * go to the allotment for an hour
    * use up lunch
    * unpick sleeve on top and try again!
    * meeting friend for coffee
    * call work about returning next week

that's all!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 17th May 19, 6:48 AM
    • 4,855 Posts
    • 27,671 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Campers,
    Well, Mr F has just left for work & I'm nicely caffiened-up ready to begin my day. Frugal items on today's list:
    *Clean whole house using some of the large amount of cleaning products I brought back from Mum's house.
    *Bake a sourdough loaf.
    *Write shopping list.
    *Pack charity bag.... not money saving but decluttering always feels good.
    *Water greenhouse veggies.
    *Possibly plant out sweet Williams (grown from free seed)
    *Refill vintage glass decanter with cheapo bath bubbles.
    *Read library book.
    *Let hair dry naturally.
    *Make a batch of garlic flatbreads to use up some ancient yoghurt.
    *Free fitness - get my daily 7000 steps total by marching up & down garden if necessary!
    OK, will start by getting the sourdough mixed up.
    Have a productive day, everyone.
    Sending positive vibes to those among our number who are going through the mill at the moment.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 65
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 17th May 19, 7:12 AM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 6,404 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    The plans for today -

• shop. Current weekly average is 15.85, so trying to spend no more than that. Came in under!! Weekly average now down to 15.50!!
    • off to work to run a training session. Got everything sorted last night so just need to pick up and go. Training went well, everyone happy and enthused. Mustn't forget to reclaim the expenses!
    • I have a takeaway once a month - and tonight's the night!! Think I'll have Indian. Portions are always huge, so I'll eat half tonight and freeze half for next month. Went for a Chicken Pasanda and a Peshawari Naan. With a bottle of beer from stores. I feel like I've had a night out! Half the curry and half the naan are now in the freezer, ready for next month.
    • Actually, will go to the gym first (5:30pm!!! session). I made the decision to renew my membership last week. It seems counter-intuitive, what with the amount of scrimping and saving that I'm doing elsewhere in my life. But I worked out that it only costs me 2.73 a session (I go every other day), it keeps me fit both physically and mentally, it provides me with a social life, gets me out of the house - and I bloody love it. I paid for the whole year up front, because that's the cheapest way to do it, and used my credit card because I get cashback. And yes, I'm totally aware that you can always justify spending money on the things you want to do...
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 18-05-2019 at 6:51 AM.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 17th May 19, 8:11 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 12,696 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Foxgloves please be careful with the cleaning products. When my Mum uses hers to clean my chest gets really tight and I get a headache, she is very careful not to mix different chemicals. I think it is mainly to do with me noticing my sensitivity more or being more sensitive since we have greatly reduced the chemicals we use.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 17th May 19, 8:29 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 12,696 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    We are off to the theatre tonight with the extended family. Reduction for 60+ & under 18's free We enjoy going to the theatre last time it was Shakespeare this time much more light hearted.

Todays plans:
    Discuss faulty air con with OH
    Look up a couple of things to do whilst away next week, especially to break up the journey
    Plan what we are taking away with us
    Tell children we are away next week, the plans were so up in the air they only know we are away not who, when, where
    Collect requested book
    PAD
    Make bread again, we are getting through loads at the moment, their are 6 of us
    Home educate the children for free
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 17th May 19, 8:52 AM
    • 7,255 Posts
    • 43,162 Thanks
    determined new ms
    The plans for today -

[*]Actually, will go to the gym first (5:30 session). I made the decision to renew my membership last week. It seems counter-intuitive, what with the amount of scrimping and saving that I'm doing elsewhere in my life. But I worked out that it only costs me 2.73 a session (I go every other day), it keeps me fit both physically and mentally, it provides me with a social life, gets me out of the house - and I bloody love it. I paid for the whole year up front, because that's the cheapest way to do it, and used my credit card because I get cashback. And yes, I'm totally aware that you can always justify spending money on the things you want to do...[/LIST]
    Originally posted by trailingspouse
    I think this is called living a luxuriously frugal lifestyle. We are frugal in lots of areas allowing us to spend (in the most cost effective way ) on the things that really matter to us. If you love it and have found the best price to do it at then it is a completely guilt free sensible spend. I congratulate you on using your money to enhance the joy in your life
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th May 19, 9:09 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 7,040 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone
    -banking checked, everything good. Paid some bills
    -checked quidco without the Ally reminder, that is a first for me!
    -very nearly up to date with paperwork, it has been a slog but happy that I can now put my things first
    -need to pop out for milk and fruit. Will be very low spends. Must remember to take Tesc@ vouchers offering extra points with me.
    -do some cleaning, house has been neglected
    -just about to finish the cat cleaning with a blast from the steamer (one of my best investments)

Can't think of anything else, I'm sure there will be.
    Have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 17th May 19, 9:12 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    I think this is called living a luxuriously frugal lifestyle. We are frugal in lots of areas allowing us to spend (in the most cost effective way ) on the things that really matter to us. If you love it and have found the best price to do it at then it is a completely guilt free sensible spend. I congratulate you on using your money to enhance the joy in your life
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Trailing Totally agree with Dnms on this one
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 17th May 19, 9:23 AM
    • 621 Posts
    • 10,656 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Morning all,
    Thank you Ziggy, I did sleep better although think I'm making coming down with a cold as I still feel pretty bleughh.

* Dh working from home today which saves money on fuel and about 3hrs of time
    * Ys muffins used for breakfasts with our eggs this morning.
    * I refilled my water bottle at the gym twice as usual.
    * iron a few shirts (rest of the washing should just be ok to hang straight away in the wardrobes)
    * check banking/update spreadsheet and email it back to myself
    * write a shopping list - trying to eek it out this week although we are now very short of milk again so..
    * check fridge, I know there is a bit of left over chicken and a punnet of mushrooms in there so thinking I'll make a pie filling to use up bits and pieces, we can have it with jacket spud or I might make mash
    * film from stash with hubby/kids tonight, with a bit of pop corn left over from Easter holidays
    *general tidy round
    * continue decluttering the snug
    * Hairdressers at lunchtime for a trim, this hairdresser is a lot cheaper then the no appointment place I used to go to in town, I can park for free and its only a couple of miles up the hill.

Thats my starter, I do find that if I don't post up a list like yesterday then I don't feel like I've achieved very much. I do like ticking lists off!

Take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 17th May 19, 4:05 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 44,563 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Had a hospital appointment in the nearest city at lunch time
    Got some bits done before that though:
    Cleaned kitchen
    Pegged washing outside - wasn't sure how good an idea that was, as it looks rainy, but it has mostly dried, and can be finished off on the airer overnight
    Carted Vax cleaner upstairs and hoovered the bathroom floor. It is the only thing that seems to pick up all of the dust. Pity it seems to weigh the same as a small car
    Put some items which had taken up residence on the worktop back in the camper van where they came from.
    Read a chapter of my book while waiting at the hospital

Wasn't sure how much I would feel like doing after being poked and prodded about, but I have taken 2 ebay items to the post office and done a small shop, which included a couple of YS items
    Dinner tonight will be jacket potatoes, salad and a selection of fridge bits / leftovers that need using up before I cook more stuff!
    If it isn't actually raining, I intend to go outside to do a bit in the garden - feed the strawberries and salad leaves, and sow some more coriander
    And I need to update my spending book with today's (modest) totals.

• allydowd
    • By allydowd 17th May 19, 8:22 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 29,939 Thanks
    allydowd
    Foxgloves please be careful with the cleaning products. When my Mum uses hers to clean my chest gets really tight and I get a headache, she is very careful not to mix different chemicals. I think it is mainly to do with me noticing my sensitivity more or being more sensitive since we have greatly reduced the chemicals we use.
    Originally posted by Baileys Babe

I would caution against mixing bleach and ammonia. When the bleach decomposes you get formhydrochloric acid. This then reacts with ammonia and you get toxic chloramine fumes. Futhermore, if your mix is heavy on the ammonia you could get liquid hydrazine which is potentially explosive.

Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 1100

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 201/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 18th May 19, 6:38 AM
    • 2,720 Posts
    • 18,619 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

Happy Saturday. Small plans for today as we all definitely need some down time:

Cook some kidney beans soaked overnight
    Something from freezer for tea, must redo a freezer list
    Some washing
    Go for a long walk later with pal
    Go for a run
    Small to prepaid activity
    Keep on top of state of house, makes a massive difference little and often

Have a good day all. Purps.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 18th May 19, 9:13 AM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 12,696 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Yesterday afternoon we went out to try and sort out the air con, regassing didn't work, as a result they didn't charge us
    Dd has had a growth spurt and her swimming costume no longer fits. We tried on a couple that have been passed on that friends have out grown, they were to big. As we are going somewhere with a pool next week a costume was essential. Whilst the car was being regassed we went costume shopping, we found one she loves and more importantly is a good fit along with 6 other things that I've been keeping my eyes open for (3 for a couple of years) in tkmax, even better I used vouchers from RM survey to pay for the majority of it paying less than 2 cash. The items I bought for myself are precisely what I've been looking for but a third of the price I was expecting to pay and a more luxurious fabric, these are a cotton and cashmere mix.

Today is going to be spent at home doing admin, educating the children and getting ready for our holiday.

Todays plans:
    PAD
    NSD
    Write yesterdays spends in the diary
    Home educate children for free
    Do some baking to take away with us
    Get clothes out for next week
    Plan places to visit next week, we only had a brief look yesterday
    Home educate children for free
    Tidy the car
    Turn off lights and appliances not in use
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 18th May 19, 12:52 PM
    • 3,563 Posts
    • 6,404 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Thanks Dnms and 1LL for your support. I do love it. And I'm fitter now than I've ever been - I can run at a reasonable pace, I can do burpees, box jumps, full push-ups (from the feet, not the knees!!) I can lift heavier than I thought I could, all thanks to the help/support/cajoling/shouting/general encouragement of the personal trainers at the gym. I don't want to lose my long-term goal of staying fit into my 60s and beyond (I'm 58) 'just' to save money - I think the fitness is worth prioritising.

Quick outing for free this morning - the property I volunteer at has an exhibition on today (one day only), so friend and I met up there for a look and a chat with the people doing the exhibit. We get free entry, so just the cost of the fuel to get there (4 miles each way). It was really interesting - and made a change to be there as a visitor!! I was in on Thursday, and I'll be in again tomorrow, so a bit of a busman's holiday I guess, but still good.
    Not sure whether to risk washing the car - it's not raining, but it looks like it might not be long before it does! Think I might leave it until the weather's made up its mind. Ditto with the gardening - I stopped yesterday before I'd finished, and I could do to get out there and finish what I was doing. I won't have chance to either wash the car or garden tomorrow, so I really should just crack on and see how far I get. I got the car washed, but neshed out of the gardening.
    Last edited by trailingspouse; 18-05-2019 at 4:07 PM.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th May 19, 1:31 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 44,563 Thanks
    DawnW
    Thanks Dnms and 1LL for your support. I do love it. And I'm fitter now than I've ever been - I can run at a reasonable pace, I can do burpees, box jumps, full push-ups (from the feet, not the knees!!) I can lift heavier than I thought I could, all thanks to the help/support/cajoling/shouting/general encouragement of the personal trainers at the gym. I don't want to lose my long-term goal of staying fit into my 60s and beyond (I'm 58) 'just' to save money - I think the fitness is worth prioritising.
    Originally posted by trailingspouse

I definitely agree that you should not give this up

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 18th May 19, 1:40 PM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 44,563 Thanks
    DawnW
    Afternoon all
    Funny sort of day, looks as though it is going to rain, but doesn't.
    Anyway, today's small things:
    No spending
    Quick tidy up

Cleaned kitchen and bathroom floors with about half a teaspoon of stardrops dissolved in a bucket of water

Bitof gardening - thought about spraying aphids on my poor little cherry tree, but noticed that there are ladybirds on it too, which will eat the aphids I would only use soapy water to spray, but as it would hurt the ladybirds too, I didn't bother. I have done a bit of summer pruning (a bit early, but needs must) which has taken the worst affected bits off. I will keep an eye on it for now.

Watered pots in front garden, and gave the sorry looking hedge plants a couple of cans as well
    Used a shrivelled lemon to make a lemon drizzle cake
    Picked a large colander full of salad leaves, currently soaking in sink
    Lunch was sandwiches made using fridge bits, salad etc.
    Dinner will be from stuff I already have
    Hope everyone is having a great Saturday

• little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 18th May 19, 1:45 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    little pink purse
    Good Afternoon

been A busy week but have managed a 2 nsds
    cleaned the house from top to bottom
    beds changed and remade hate that job lol

todo
    small shop
    dinner out as I've got DN staying
    Enter a few comps no wins yet lol

have a great day

elaine x
    NSD
    may fuel and food budget 350.00

debt total 71k
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 18th May 19, 2:42 PM
    • 4,855 Posts
    • 27,671 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Thanks to those who have expressed concerns about my array of inherited cleaning products. I shall be fine.... largely because I am too stingy with them to use more than one at a time. So the dregs of one bottle finished up this week, & another will be started on my cleaning day next week...... that kind of thing.
    I do know not to mix things, although this is driven more by my 'cleaning product parsimony' than in-depth knowledge of likely chemical reactions x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 418 2019 = 65
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,484Posts Today

6,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin