Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th May 19, 5:35 AM
    • 2,705Posts
    • 18,536Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 13th May?
    • 13th May 19, 5:35 AM
    What small DFW things will you do w/c 13th May? 13th May 19 at 5:35 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
Page 3
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 15th May 19, 4:27 PM
    • 4,570 Posts
    • 29,916 Thanks
    allydowd
    <Stardrops fan.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 650

Travel 500 Miles Free Challenge: 194/500
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th May 19, 5:19 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 6,337 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Hello one and all. Hope you've managed to spend a bit of time in the sun amongst everything else.

I spent the afternoon shifting direct debits around as OH and I are separating our bank accounts. I spoke to the water suppliers, and they gasped at how low my monthly payment is (13). Then he said 'Hang on a minute', and when he came back he said they'd looked at my consumption, and they could reduce the payment to 12!!! I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things - but it just makes me feel that all my scrimping and saving is making a difference. We used to pay 29!!!

And in case anyone is wondering - I still have a shower every day, and an occasional bath, I still water the plants (every other evening, as required), the dishwasher still goes on (full) pretty much every night, I do 2 - 3 full loads of washing every week. All I've really done is start to collect the water from my shower and use it to flush the loo. Crazy.

Looking forward to more money saving madness tomorrow.
    xx
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 15th May 19, 6:22 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    I used the annual leave in the end. Much bbq -ing was done and many sausages eaten.

Not really DFW. But much better than a night shift
    Debts 15/5/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: 900/0 Barclaycard: 3755.55/3102.12 Loan: 21620.29/18000.00
    Total 26275.84 21102.12 (REDUCED BY 19.69%)
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 15th May 19, 6:28 PM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Evening everyone

DNMS - I don't quite know how I'm doing it but I am and I'm thrilled, particularly enjoying our walk after tea

Today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Pilates
    Two laps of a local reservoir which should help with the vitamin D issue and the steps - so far its Day 6 and I'm at 91,784)
    Washing & Line dried
    RM Correctly Delivered survey
    Swagbucks
    Await Mr A delivery and put away
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner
    Read

Night all!

C x
    Make 5 per day 2018 1556.43/1825.00 Make 5 per day Jan 19 36.08/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 19 414.06/140 Make 5 per day Mar 19 60.55/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 19 158.65/150 Make 5 per day in May 19 15.00/155
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 15th May 19, 6:35 PM
    • 5,592 Posts
    • 44,515 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Stardrops fan here, too. Local shops don't sell the white vinegar, unless you want to pay for small bottles of wine vinegar in the supermarket - which I am happy to do for salads but not for cleaning
    Didn't get to post yesterday, mainly because I started wood-treating the mini greenhouse / growhouse thing. OH altered it so that the shelves could be taken out, so I took the opportunity to give it a new coat. Finished it this morning before it got too warm!
    Other things:
    Washed hair and left to dry naturally
    HG fruit for breakfast
    Load of washing dried on the line
    Some gardening
    Cut rocket and parsley and made pesto. Froze this batch.
    Cut oriental /mustard greens for tonight's stir fry - love having fresh greens every day atm
    Sold an item on ebay
    Sold a garden item via FB
    Freecycled some old garden chairs that need tlc, to make a space in the garage
    Nothing spent today

• Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 15th May 19, 7:29 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,574 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Hi all, been reading all posts but not much to report on the MSE front. Not being very spendy but just very busy with work this week.
    Things i have done - dried lots of washing on the line, been to self employment role today so a free lunch, ditto tomorrow, keeping spending within budget and keeping to my list, been rejected from a few SB surveys! Have done a couple of UGov ones.
    Have bought a voucher to send to niece for her birthday.

Deni x
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    CC1 = 5393.72/5776.28 CC2 = 3624.00/3820.77

2 savers club 33
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 15th May 19, 8:10 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    ditty1234
    I spent the afternoon shifting direct debits around as OH and I are separating our bank accounts. I spoke to the water suppliers, and they gasped at how low my monthly payment is (13). Then he said 'Hang on a minute', and when he came back he said they'd looked at my consumption, and they could reduce the payment to 12!!! I know it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things - but it just makes me feel that all my scrimping and saving is making a difference. We used to pay 29!!!
    Well my water bill is just high at 37 a month, but a third is standing charges and I don't see how we can save much water. So well done to you and your dedication.

Finally Went to run club training and am very happy and just ate home made muffin :-)

Bought milk, bananas, cheese and a pizza for DS. I just had a peanut butter sandwich when I came home from training as had leftover dinner for lunch.

Now hoping for NSD until Friday.

What is stardrops? Where to buy white/cleaning vinegar, I have never been able to find it in normal supermarkets?

And a good night to y'all.
    Groceries 260 in May
    Debt Free Wannabe LBM Jan 2019 -25.928 (DMP w SC 125 a month from June))
    EF 0 March 2019 /EF 300 in May 2019
    • Season of Mist
    • By Season of Mist 15th May 19, 9:35 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Season of Mist
    Not a NSD as had to do a midweek shop, just essentials really, small luxury spend on hot cross buns though, just can’t resist them.

Big load of washing dried on the line today for free in the sunshine.

Checked on tomato plants and onions that have shot up in the last week after a slow start due, I think, to the slightly sub-par temperatures of the last couple of weeks.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th May 19, 6:44 AM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 6,337 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Just dropping in quickly, as I'm running late (didn't sleep well last night, which means that when I finally dropped off I slept later than I normally would. Grr)
    ditty - I live on my own, which helps obviously - but basically I've declared war on the water that I waste (mostly all that good clean cold water that goes down the plug while you're waiting for it to get hot). I use it to flush the loo but equally you could use it for watering the garden.

Forgot to mention that yesterday I repainted the garden. Well, the garden bench and the shed. And it looks so much better! I used paint that I already had, and there was (literally) just enough left to do the slats of the bench and my (very small) shed. I was out in the garden by 8am, to get it done before the heat of the day - which meant it was all dry by coffee time, ready for me to sit and enjoy!!
    Volunteering today - need to sort out the paperwork so that I can start claiming my mileage. And I've remembered to make my lunch! Which will save me having to spend 3.80 on a takeaway soup from the tearoom!!
    Right, best get on. Hugs all round.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 16th May 19, 7:39 AM
    • 7,244 Posts
    • 43,085 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning trailingspouse enjoy your day!

whoop have a really full day to myself today as oh has taken madam to school and mil picks her up and has her for the afternoon so I am a free woman until 7.30

I managed to do all of my tasks yesterday & I dropped off the items I had repaired for someone and got 23 for my trouble So great being paid to do something I love!

Today:

* finish cutting. I have 1 wall left to do , give windowsill 1st coat of gloss
    * we have decided a footstall would enhance our life as our sofa is a small one due to size of lounge. Looked online with dfs (where we got the sofa) and matching stool is 159 + delivery Got up this morning and found another, perfectly adequate even if not *perfectly matching" from Ikea for 55
    * do some housework
    * sewing I finally finished my top but the fit wasn't right and I couldn't work out what was up with it. So when I went out yesterday I nipped in to the repair shop and the tailor looked at it, pinned it and advised me what to do So I want to finish that off and go to the pattern and make sure every adjustment has been transferred - I am determined to get the most out of the course I paid loads of money to be on but became ill and had to leave so I didn't get as much from it as I had hoped I am pretty pleased with myself for pushing on with this!
    * los for dinner for me. Oh & madam will eat at the outlaws
    * might go to the allotment. Depends how I feel
    * hang up washing on clothes horse o/s
    * sow some seeds
    * bff coming round for lunch and a catch up.
    * slice & freeze ys frenchstick purchased yesterday

Ok that will do! Happy days
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 16th May 19, 7:58 AM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 12,670 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    We dried 3 large loads of washing on the line yesterday. I'm impressed with both the weather and us being able to coordinate as it felt like we were coming and going all the time.

Today I need to make plans for next week. We are going away, either the 4 of us to one area or us and some other families to a different location. We are happy with either just wish people would make a decision.

Today:
    PAD
    PMP etc
    Home educate the children for free
    Post a sympathy card, already in stock
    Use free RMS stamp, for above
    Take my refillable water bottle out with me this evening
    Get a lift from a friend this evening
    Make bread
    Make porridge
    All meals from stores
    Keep with the meal plan
    Record all spends

1LL When I'm doing RM survey, I keep as much of the paper as I can for the children to do their lessons on. Another tiny way I reduce the cost of home educating.
    • Pip Boy 111
    • By Pip Boy 111 16th May 19, 8:03 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Pip Boy 111
    Morning all. Still warm and sunny, but very breezy here today. Can't complain being this far north. It's nice to know the sun still exists

After using leave last night, i have one more night shift to do. Suppose I'll have to go. I can't use all my leave up just because the sun made an appearance

Todays plan:

Check online banking and make sure all bills are paid (DD) - done
    Update spreadsheet - done
    Put washing on airer and place outside - will do in a mo. Really should look at getting a line put up. Had to take the old one down when i destroyed the old jungle that the previous owners left us. Now have a beautiful, big, lawned garden minus a washing line. Project for the summer maybe?
    Shopping. Need to go to Aldee, Icyland and Bargains of the Home. Budget of 100 for the fortnight, but looking to come in under that. Challenge on!
    Wash the car!! The seagulls (sky rats) have had particularly bad stomachs this week by the looks of it. I know, they're protected sea birds, but in our coastal village they're a particular nuisance. far too many of them and all they do is attack people and sh*t on EVERYTHING!!
    Meals from stores - Chicken, noodles and veg for tea at work tonight

Busy day ahead.

Enjoy the day all
    Debts 15/5/2019 (LBM 5/3/2019)
    Overdraft: 900/0 Barclaycard: 3755.55/3102.12 Loan: 21620.29/18000.00
    Total 26275.84 21102.12 (REDUCED BY 19.69%)
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 16th May 19, 8:55 AM
    • 833 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Morning everyone

Just read thru the thread, everyone has been so busy.

I have been manically trying to tie up as many loose ends as possible both work and home. It's a slow job but plodding thru.
    Weather here has been lovely, washing out on the line.
    Have been getting all the windows open for a couple of days now to give the house an airing.
    Low spends this week. Have been eating from stocks,can finally see daylight in the fridge, DD really stocked up before she left to uni for exams.

Banking all checked,everything good.
    As soon as I come on here I jump off to check quidco and then jump back otherwise I always forget quidco!
    Have changed tablet contract and home phone/wifi contract. Worked out that this will save me over 200 a year
    More goodies sent to charity. Re used packaging and the goodies picked up are items picked up in the sales for peanuts. I have kept a track of what I have spent as I'm interested to see what is raised at the end of the year. Makes bargain hunting more interesting especially when I hate shopping!

Coming to the end of my RM surveys stint which is perfect timing but still doing the unaddressed and correctly delivered surveys. Saving those vouchers and club card vouchers I got from Tesc@ the other day ready for Christmas, don't think I am doing as well as DNMS with savings saved but I've finally started!

That's about it from me, have a great day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 16th May 19, 9:50 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Morning trailing spouse and all
    I'm all with you on the not waisting water, had handy man in today looking at drippy taps and will turn tap off more when i shower/take shorter showers
    Also I asked kind handy man (who works for my landlord) what he thought about getting a water butt - and it looks like he will get me one to collect water off roof for watering the garden. So baby steps.
    Am quite desolate though as did not get call for agency work, so am applying for other care agency work for the summer, as need top up income, but thinking it's all a bit waste of time when I should be pursuing freelance work or a 'proper full time job'.
    Enjoy the sunshine out there - I'll find an excuse for a bit of gardening soonish.
    Groceries 260 in May
    Debt Free Wannabe LBM Jan 2019 -25.928 (DMP w SC 125 a month from June))
    EF 0 March 2019 /EF 300 in May 2019
    • Season of Mist
    • By Season of Mist 16th May 19, 11:01 AM
    • 47 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Season of Mist
    Hello All,

Still being inspired by the contributors to this thread. Wish I’d discovered it earlier.

Yesterday:
    Water butts both full after the rain at the weekend so filled watering cans for free and gave the plants in containers at the front a good water.
    Did a few hours of overtime last night but have missed the cutoff date for claims this month so won’t get that until the end of June now.

Today:
    Left car at home. Bus/walk rest of the way to work.
    Not planning to stop at shops as well supplied for next few days.

Weekend:

Replacement door at end of garden that was smashed a few weeks ago is going to be replaced (at hideous cost). Confirmed they are delivering this Sat morning. Once it is up I have got about half a big tub of garden furniture paint and enough knotting solution left to treat it, if weather holds up (doubtful at the moment) I will get it all done this weekend. Was gutted when someone kicked the door down as it means a cost I could really do without at the moment. However, this door was already on my big long list of improvements I want to make to the house, the existing door is ancient and I think must have been there since the house was built, so I did plan to replace it, just not necessarily right now. So although it has taken all the money I was going to save this month, I am not really looking at it as a spend, or at least not an extra spend, because it was already on a list of costs for the future.

Sorry to waffle and if that sounds like I am trying to make myself feel better about paying out hundreds of pounds for a new door, well, you’d be right.
    Last edited by Season of Mist; 16-05-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Justification for waffle.
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 16th May 19, 11:27 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 10,574 Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    Afternoon all,
    Just the usual bits in the way of small things today, I'm feeling rubbish after a bad nights sleep so just pottering today. Hopefully I'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Take care all. x
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th May 19, 1:51 PM
    • 5,592 Posts
    • 44,515 Thanks
    DawnW
    Replacement door at end of garden that was smashed a few weeks ago is going to be replaced (at hideous cost). Confirmed they are delivering this Sat morning. Once it is up I have got about half a big tub of garden furniture paint and enough knotting solution left to treat it, if weather holds up (doubtful at the moment) I will get it all done this weekend. Was gutted when someone kicked the door down as it means a cost I could really do without at the moment. However, this door was already on my big long list of improvements I want to make to the house, the existing door is ancient and I think must have been there since the house was built, so I did plan to replace it, just not necessarily right now. So although it has taken all the money I was going to save this month, I am not really looking at it as a spend, or at least not an extra spend, because it was already on a list of costs for the future.

Sorry to waffle and if that sounds like I am trying to make myself feel better about paying out hundreds of pounds for a new door, well, youd be right.
    Originally posted by Season of Mist

Could you not have claimed on your home insurance for that? I think that given the cost, and the circumstances, I would have done

• DawnW
    • By DawnW 16th May 19, 1:55 PM
    • 5,592 Posts
    • 44,515 Thanks
    DawnW
    Been out this morning, to a local town, where we visited the market, and stopped off on the way back at a lovely local spot for a walk and a picnic. Took our own food and made tea and coffee (we have an elderly camper van), so avoided spending in the cafe. Just as well if I take into consideration the costs of the camper van
    Only bought bread at the market and paid for parking so low spends there.
    Collected my prescription on the way back
    Dog is worn out and won't need another walk today

Better get on and do some housework now! Gave the bedroom a really good clean, amazing how dusty everything gets! OH did a basic hoover downstairs while I did that (ie he doesn't move anything, but superficially it looks better - and some cleaning is better than none, yes?)
    Emptied hoover into compost bin. Also added a torn up loo roll middle, kitchen roll middle, and the packaging the NT magazine came in, which is apparently compostable

Sorted out some clothes for the CS
    Horrified to discover how many of my clothes don't fit Must lose some weight!

Bit of gardening
    Jacket potatoes, tuna mayo and salad for dinner

Made 'French bread pizzas' aka stale bread pizzas from the end of a loaf and fridge shrapnel. Today this included a scrape of pesto, a bit of chopped yellow pepper, some chopped tomatoes, a tiny bit of chopped chorizo, grated cheese, pepper and a sprinkling of oregano, but it varies depending on what I have. My adult children still fight over these if there is more than one of them in the building when they emerge from the oven
    Last edited by DawnW; 16-05-2019 at 7:16 PM.

• ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 16th May 19, 4:10 PM
    • 3,476 Posts
    • 30,555 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Afternoon everyone

1LL - Hope you sleep better tonight

I've completed my challenge and will update you with final total tomorrow, sometimes it really does just take a gentle push to get you started, in March I walked 20 miles (over a weekend) for Combat Stress so can't wait to see how far I've come with this challenge.

Today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Fabulous walk on The Monsal Trail (8 miles)
    RM Correctly Delivered survey
    Swagbucks
    Ironing
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Lucky Bob, PMP, WinaDinner
    Read

Have a great evening!

C x
    Make 5 per day 2018 1556.43/1825.00 Make 5 per day Jan 19 36.08/155 Make 5 per day in Feb 19 414.06/140 Make 5 per day Mar 19 60.55/155 Make 5 per day in Apr 19 158.65/150 Make 5 per day in May 19 15.00/155
    • merida88
    • By merida88 16th May 19, 4:40 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    merida88
    Glad to "see" you merida - I was literally just wondering if you were ok, then refreshed and up your post popped

I literally took a tablespoon or so of used coffee ground (coarse filter ground - not sure it would work with espresso powder!) mixed in a bit of olive oil to make it into a paste and put a couple of drop of tea tree oil in too for good measure as I had it knocking about.

To use, grab a smudge-full on your fingers and scrub all over face, rise off, then wash oily residue with the tiniest amount of shower gel/soap
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Why thank you! To both points - I shall try that coffee scrub

My list from yesterday:
    - bike to work - done, but got to get bike and hire car (work paying) home again somehow - car turned out to be roomier than expected
    - all meals and snacks from stores - feeling smug about lunch as avoided cafe despite being on all-day call with a short lunch break. I had my emergency quinoa Actually I would highly recommend Ald!'s Tomato and Olive Quinoa for desk drawer back up lunch - done
    - call various companies about car-related admin (in other news, recalcitrant car is GONE) - done, decision to make though.
    - gym AM - done
    - walk dog PM - not done, spent too much time on phone, poor pooch.

Today's list:
    - don't buy anything I can't expense except toothpaste (which I might actually try to expense)
    - do some yoga
    - get an early night

Hope everyone is having a good day
    Xmas '19 Challenger #51: 2685.36/10,063.11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,752Posts Today

6,929Users online

Martin's Twitter