Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aj9648
    • By aj9648 12th May 19, 7:39 AM
    • 1,247Posts
    • 110Thanks
    aj9648
    Feeding border plants / shrubs / flowers
    • 12th May 19, 7:39 AM
    Feeding border plants / shrubs / flowers 12th May 19 at 7:39 AM
    Hi

Quick question - how and when do you feed your border plants and shrubs ? ( like you feed your lawn)

Also best time to feed?
Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 12th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    Farway
    • 12th May 19, 3:37 PM
    • 12th May 19, 3:37 PM
    Personally i don't fed them at all, except the roses in Spring

Shrubs can look after themselves and find their own nutrients

I do however chuck old compost, tea leaves or whatever on the borders when it's around

I suppose if you have some choice specimen or growing for show feeding could help

The only reason to feed lawns is because you are constantly removing growth, this does not normally apply to borders
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th May 19, 3:54 PM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 4,816 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th May 19, 3:54 PM
    • 12th May 19, 3:54 PM
    Depends on what you are feeding them with.

Some fertiliser are used once in the spring , others in the autumn, others used more often. Read the instructions on the packet.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th May 19, 7:25 AM
    • 28,120 Posts
    • 99,464 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th May 19, 7:25 AM
    • 14th May 19, 7:25 AM
    Quick answer: never.

I improve the soil, but I don't think that well-rotted horse poo and bedding contains many nutrients.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • madjackslam
    • By madjackslam 14th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    madjackslam
    • 14th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 14th May 19, 9:10 AM
    Borders get a mulch with however much compost I've managed to make/scrounge, and not used on the veggies, but otherwise that's it.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 15th May 19, 6:55 AM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 9,216 Thanks
    tori.k
    • 15th May 19, 6:55 AM
    • 15th May 19, 6:55 AM
    I have last couple of years with blood, fish and bone, Roses are feed twice a year spring and Autumn, As I did a hard cut back so fed them them and recently again as I had mulched with bark last Autumn .
    The front is all new planting so will feed them at least for the first few years until properly established.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 15th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 15th May 19, 3:14 PM
    • 15th May 19, 3:14 PM
    Never; the best the borders get is a bit of wood ash from the fire in winter. That said, I'm not very neat; I dump leaves and other waste under plants and let nature sort it all out.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 17th May 19, 6:26 AM
    • 7,364 Posts
    • 10,779 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 17th May 19, 6:26 AM
    • 17th May 19, 6:26 AM
    all year I collect t bags up and split around plants. Also collect coffee grounds from Waitrsoe and do he same. Also make compost and put round plants in spring and autumn. works for me.

Also take friend's used grow bags and do the same.which

!
    local council sells cheap compost they make and once a year it's a pound bag so I stock up

In summer pour used washing up water on new plants
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th May 19, 8:00 AM
    • 28,120 Posts
    • 99,464 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 17th May 19, 8:00 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:00 AM
    all year I collect t bags up and split around plants.
    Originally posted by surfsister
    Perhaps you have posh tea. So do I, but the bags are still plasticised, so wherever I might put them, they would still be kicking around five years later.

The vast majority of tea bags do not compost. Maybe that will change, but it was only last week I saw a company proudly showing their manufacturing process on prime time telly, including the bit where they plasticise the natural product.
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • Farway
    • By Farway 17th May 19, 8:52 AM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 13,512 Thanks
    Farway
    local council sells cheap compost they make and once a year it's a pound bag so I stock up
    Originally posted by surfsister

You're lucky, round here the council compost is more expensive than buying from a s/market. The Council stuff is 3 a bag last time I looked
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 17th May 19, 9:18 AM
    • 9,293 Posts
    • 31,059 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I shamble round with a bag of chicken pellets after the first massive weeding of spring in the hope this will give the remaining plants encouragement.

I make time to ensure the fruit trees get something to help, even if it's just a growbag I didn't use for seeds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,394Posts Today

6,487Users online

Martin's Twitter