Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 10th May 19, 8:37 AM
    • 2,559Posts
    • 3,072Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    vans for family of 6
    • 10th May 19, 8:37 AM
    vans for family of 6 10th May 19 at 8:37 AM
    Would appreciate opinions and advice anyone may have

We have a family of 6; me, the missus, and 4 boys currently 12, 10, 2 and 1

We want to get a vehicle that can fit us all in; both transporting us (so need min 6 seats) and our piles of luggage… we are very outdoors and active – bikes, camping, climbing, kayaking as well as just the day-to-day stuff like prams, shopping, school bags, luggage for a weekend away etc. Also doing a lot of work around house and garden so space for tip runs etc is useful.

Have looked at and ruled out all the MPV’s (Sharan, Galaxy etc.) as too small and also the big SUV’s (Q7, discovery etc.) as too expensive and small.

I have kind of narrowed down to looking at Ford Transit Custom (with crew cab), ford Tourneo, VW Transporter and VW caravelle

A few rambling thoughts that makes me indecisive at the moment and where opinions / experiences may be helpful:

- Ford appear better value for money, but VW I think have a better rep for quality (I’ve driven lots of VW cars)

- The ‘crew cab’ type configuration (2 rows of 3 seats) appears great for luggage space as the ‘boot’ space is much bigger; however the double front passenger seats feel cramped and wonder how this will be on a longer journey. Also like that the boot space is partitioned off. Could easily throw 4 bikes in the back plsu a load of other stuff.

- I’ve seen a number of Tourneo’s where the 2nd row of seats faces backwards, such that the 6 seats in the back face towards each other – this seems very space efficient and leaves a decent size boot – however this is more seat space than we need and the boot is both smaller than the crew cab configuration and also open into the cabin. While we could creatively pile luggage around we definetly couldn’t put 4 bikes into this (I think). I was wondering how reconfigurable/flexible the seats are so that we could shuffle them around to create space as required. E.g. fold/ remove the back 3 entirely to make more boot when required or remove 1 of each of the 2 back rows to create a long thin space for a kayak etc.

- The VW transporter is very tidy looking, but expensive – appear to be less roomy than the fords, particularly the boot – how flexible is the seating in these?

- The VW caravelle looks to be the bets in passenger comfort etc. but I very expensive and I don’t think offers much in the way of luggage space at all (compared to the fords)

Thanks
    Left is never right but I always am.
Page 2
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 16th May 19, 2:04 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    FYI in case anyone is interested we ended up going for a 2018 Ford Tourneo long wheel base 8 seat version

We got a high spec one with all the jazz like reversing cam etc. that the mrs liked

I liked that all of the rear seats are full size individual 'captains chairs' that can be folded down, folded vertical, removed and repositioned in numerous configuartions (including forward and backward facing) giving the ultimate in flexibility
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th May 19, 2:11 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    Tarambor
    FYI in case anyone is interested we ended up going for a 2018 Ford Tourneo long wheel base 8 seat version

We got a high spec one with all the jazz like reversing cam etc. that the mrs liked

I liked that all of the rear seats are full size individual 'captains chairs' that can be folded down, folded vertical, removed and repositioned in numerous configuartions (including forward and backward facing) giving the ultimate in flexibility
    Originally posted by Mistermeaner
    Just some advice:

Take it to somewhere that does undersealing. Get them to underseal the vehicle properly and to also do the insides of the sills and the bottoms of all the doors, front, side and rear, as well as the lip of the bonnet with Waxoyl or similar. Should cost you around £300-£350 and will mean you don't end up with a van in 4/5 years time that looks like many of the rest of them do. If you're anywhere in Yorkshire I can heartily recommend JR Classics at Askern. There's a bit of a waiting list as he only does one vehicle a day but does a very thorough job.
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 16th May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 2,559 Posts
    • 3,072 Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    thanks for under sealing suggestion

Forgive my ignorance but is this required on such a new vehicle? I thought the needs for this has become obsolete with modern materials etc

I have never had this done on a car and neither has a few random folk I just asked

Is a van or the ford tourneo in particular vulnerable to rust?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 20th May 19, 6:39 PM
    • 29,003 Posts
    • 11,886 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Seen 2013 transits with rusty scabs. Probably less cared for than private vehicles but it only takes a small stone chip to start the scabs.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 20th May 19, 8:08 PM
    • 2,315 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Seen 2013 transits with rusty scabs. Probably less cared for than private vehicles but it only takes a small stone chip to start the scabs.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

Spraying a car with waxoil or undersealing is a great idea, if the vehicle is new.

Here is an example of the cost.

http://www.silkmillgarage.co.uk/?Waxoyl_Rustproofing

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,191Posts Today

6,169Users online

Martin's Twitter