Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VT1983
    • By VT1983 9th May 19, 9:54 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    VT1983
    Evicting a family member with no tenancy?
    • 9th May 19, 9:54 PM
    Evicting a family member with no tenancy? 9th May 19 at 9:54 PM
    Hello everybody!

Desperate for any advice..

My brother has been living in my house and paying rent for the last ten years without any official tenancy agreement. The situation is Iím pregnant and now need to sell the property. He is now refusing access for the estate agents to show prospective buyers around the property. My understanding is I can issue a section 21 to start the eviction process, however, I have never issued him a gas safety or energy certificate (didnít know I needed to - my fault entirely). What options do I have to evict?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Page 3
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 17th May 19, 8:00 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    HampshireH
    *apologies for double post. Page crashed and resent.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 19, 8:16 AM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 17,082 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Easy enough to delete
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 17th May 19, 9:26 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Another Joe

Unfortunately not otherwise I would have done.

I have no access to quote, edit or delete from a mobile. The buttons on the webpage have never worked for me. If however you can suggest ansolution ai will happily try it as its quite annoying
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 19, 10:06 AM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 17,082 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Another Joe

Unfortunately not otherwise I would have done.

I have no access to quote, edit or delete from a mobile. The buttons on the webpage have never worked for me. If however you can suggest ansolution ai will happily try it as its quite annoying
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    Two things you can try. On my phone if I turn it to landscape then it goes into "web view" and you can then delete. Or, somewhere down the bottom of the page on the phone view you should see something like "view as web version " or words like that EDIT just looked its "Desktop Version". Again then you can delete. Bit of a faff but hopefully one of those should work.
    Last edited by AnotherJoe; 17-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 17th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 2,003 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Thankyou! Despite it looking a bit odd I have done this and it worked
    • VT1983
    • By VT1983 17th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    VT1983
    Heís refusing access requests via email and has said that if we show up at the house we will then be refused access.

The house was totally newly decorated when he moved in, and has since had all new double glazing and a new boiler/central heating system. I arranged all the work and paid for it all. If minor things have gone wrong in the house (a kitchen tap needed replacing for example) he has done this himself and then taken money off the rent.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th May 19, 10:04 PM
    • 29,502 Posts
    • 17,974 Thanks
    xylophone
    Post 40 indicates the path to follow?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,543Posts Today

5,698Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin