Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 9th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 1,722Posts
    • 256Thanks
    ferry
    Wifi home security camera advice
    • 9th May 19, 6:23 PM
    Wifi home security camera advice 9th May 19 at 6:23 PM
    Looking to add a bit of home security where I can view my driveway at any point from my phone. Perhaps even capture images etc..

Can anyone advise on how these cheapish wifi cameras fair in terms of quality and reliability like this one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ieGeek-Security-Surveillance-Detection-Wireless/dp/B07JZFQ8MC/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=wifi+security+camera&qid=1 557425730&s=gateway&sprefix=wifi+secu&sr=8-9#immersive-view_1557426070969.

Any thoughts on this or perhaps even a better model for around the price range appreciated

Thanks
    Last edited by ferry; 09-05-2019 at 6:42 PM.
Page 1
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th May 19, 7:08 AM
    • 28,414 Posts
    • 100,131 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th May 19, 7:08 AM
    • 11th May 19, 7:08 AM
    Possibly better posted on the Techie Forum?
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
    • ic
    • By ic 12th May 19, 10:13 AM
    • 2,655 Posts
    • 1,350 Thanks
    ic
    • 12th May 19, 10:13 AM
    • 12th May 19, 10:13 AM
    A camera like that is only good for indoor use. Personally I've gone for the blink system (https://blinkforhome.co.uk/collections/outdoor-security-cameras). The cameras are tiny, battery powered and fix in place with a single screw. They only record when they detect motion, and can be armed on a schedule rather than all the time.
    * my posts are made in good faith and only represent my own opinion, experience or understanding of a situation.
    • JimmyChanga
    • By JimmyChanga 12th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 141 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    JimmyChanga
    • 12th May 19, 11:39 AM
    • 12th May 19, 11:39 AM
    Better off getting an external IP fixed camera.
    • PDC
    • By PDC 12th May 19, 1:03 PM
    • 780 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    PDC
    • 12th May 19, 1:03 PM
    • 12th May 19, 1:03 PM
    As posted thats an indoor camera and you will likely have issues with the Night Vision if your idea is to record the outside through a window.

We've got a YI Home Camera, which was around 25. Its an indoor camera but we did test it to see how well it worked in the dark and it does pick up fine through a window but this was with quite a bit of ambient light outside. I imagine the above linked outdoor camera would be much better but the Yi camera has worked for what we needed and was easy to set up.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 12th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 438 Thanks
    ashe
    • 12th May 19, 9:33 PM
    • 12th May 19, 9:33 PM
    They're far more expensive but we have Nest cameras. 24/7 recording straight to the cloud, it recognises people and tells us who it has seen, and we can log in and talk to people through it etc.

The original post camera link I imagine to be a lot of fake reviews as the lower rating reviews seem fairly in depth and people stating that they are technically minded yet really struggled with them etc, so I suspect this is one of those products where people have been given it cheap or free for positive reviews to help it climb the rankings.
    • sandyk01
    • By sandyk01 13th May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    sandyk01
    • 13th May 19, 3:40 PM
    • 13th May 19, 3:40 PM
    I got some SWANN cameras about two weeks ago. They were about 180 for 4 cameras which I have dotted around the outside of the house. I got the guy to fit them for 150. They connect with my phone and so far so good!
    Last edited by sandyk01; 13-05-2019 at 3:40 PM. Reason: typo
    • Helpfulmum
    • By Helpfulmum 14th May 19, 7:45 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Helpfulmum
    • 14th May 19, 7:45 PM
    • 14th May 19, 7:45 PM
    Hi Ferry, we bought a LUTEC Secury'light and haven't looked back. They have all the modern odds and ends you want - wifi connection, smartphone app so you can watch live feed, take photos, communicate through the app through microphone and speaker etc. They have floodlights with PIR sensor and more ambient ones for just a slight glow so you'll have to have a look and see which one best matches your house and needs!
    • rob7475
    • By rob7475 15th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    rob7475
    • 15th May 19, 1:54 PM
    • 15th May 19, 1:54 PM
    I've been using the netgear Arlo cameras for about a year and it's expensive but fantastic. We have ours set to geo-fencing mode so it only arms when we leave home. It can also be set on a schedule or manually controlled too.

It's battery powered and we get almost 5 months per charge. You can access the camera at any time from the app or website and any recordings are stored in the cloud for free for 7 days (you can pay more for them to be stored for longer).

The base station has an alarm feature which is very loud - this can be activated when motion is detected or manually through the app.

Overall, I've got nothing negative to say about it.
    • stroppymare
    • By stroppymare 15th May 19, 1:55 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    stroppymare
    I have Nest, two outside Nd one inside. Very happy with them
    • googler
    • By googler 15th May 19, 2:12 PM
    • 15,211 Posts
    • 9,999 Thanks
    googler
    I've been using the netgear Arlo cameras for about a year and it's expensive but fantastic. We have ours set to geo-fencing mode so it only arms when we leave home. It can also be set on a schedule or manually controlled too.

It's battery powered and we get almost 5 months per charge. You can access the camera at any time from the app or website and any recordings are stored in the cloud for free for 7 days (you can pay more for them to be stored for longer).

Overall, I've got nothing negative to say about it.
    Originally posted by rob7475
    I second this, and would point out that if you use the Panasonic Industrial grade batteries, their life can be 13-14 months, depending on usage.

Motion alerts can be sent to mobile, tablet, e-mail.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 15th May 19, 4:07 PM
    • 3,439 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    I've also been looking into this as I'd particularly like something to cover my garden and garden office.

It seems that one of the best options is the Logi Circle 2 (especially if you want Apple Homekit support) however most of these wifi cameras suffer from the same flaw in that they rely exclusively on internet access to stream their videos to the cloud. Alternatively you can get some local only cameras that use memory cards.

Both of these approaches have two obvious flaws IMO: streaming only cameras can be thwarted quite easily by disabling internet access. Most of us have our internet connection enter our homes at easily accessible places - one snip of the incoming fibre/BT line and no more internet. A camera that relies purely on a local SD card for storage is no deterrent at all if it's accessible (like most of these indoor cameras are) - the thief just needs to take the camera with them!
    • kizkiz
    • By kizkiz 15th May 19, 5:55 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 10,274 Thanks
    kizkiz
    The cycling - you are overthinking it. If they notice there are cameras, then the thieves just cover their faces.
    If they don't notice, then it doesn't matter about signal or card.
    • womble12345
    • By womble12345 16th May 19, 1:40 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    womble12345
    Hi Ferry, we bought a LUTEC Secury'light and haven't looked back. They have all the modern odds and ends you want - wifi connection, smartphone app so you can watch live feed, take photos, communicate through the app through microphone and speaker etc. They have floodlights with PIR sensor and more ambient ones for just a slight glow so you'll have to have a look and see which one best matches your house and needs!
    Originally posted by Helpfulmum
    Thanks for that suggestion, I had no idea such a thing existed. I have an old security light and fancied a CCTV camera but hadnt considered I could get something that did both and used existing wiring.
    Did you consider any competing products before going for the LUTEC?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

259Posts Today

2,641Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin