Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quarantine
    • By quarantine 4th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 1Thanks
    quarantine
    Visited from Resolve call Advice and help please
    • 4th May 19, 6:07 PM
    Visited from Resolve call Advice and help please 4th May 19 at 6:07 PM
    Hi, I need some advice and guidence if possible please.
    Last week I had a house visit from Resolve call who left a calling card as I was at work.
    I believe they are visiting me on behalf of robinson way for and old credit card debt.

The debt defaulted in 2014 and I have had zero contact with them at all and would like to keep it this way.
    The default is under hoist porfolio also.
    I do not wish to deal with Resolve call and I'm unhappy about the home visit. Nor do I want to contact Resolve call and admit any liability.
    Where can I go from here to stop them harrasing me without admitting liability.
    Your help in this matter would be very much appreciated.
Page 1
    • Karonher
    • By Karonher 4th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    Karonher
    • 4th May 19, 6:20 PM
    • 4th May 19, 6:20 PM
    You have 7 or 8 months at least to avoid them - that is if it defaulted in January. If you know what the debt is why not set up a payment plan? If the debt has been passed on I doubt you can call the shots as to who deals with it and the people you owe the money to are probably not happy you have not paid it back.

Dealing with them will be a lot better than getting a CCJ.

Is there a reason you don't want to pay it back?
    Getting ready for Christmas 2019

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2019.
    • tight4rse
    • By tight4rse 4th May 19, 6:38 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    tight4rse
    • 4th May 19, 6:38 PM
    • 4th May 19, 6:38 PM
    The debt defaulted in 2014 and I have had zero contact with them at all and would like to keep it this way.
    If you'd just called or emailed them to resolve it instead of trying to hide, they wouldn't be coming to your door and nodoubt charging you for the privilege.

Where can I go from here to stop them harrasing me without admitting liability.
    They're not harassing you. You've spent their money and now they want it back. It's perfectly reasonable for them to come and ask for it back.

What would you do if somebody took your money and then went into hiding?

Take your head out of the sand. There's a problem here and it isn't going to go away until you deal with it. They know where you live and have everything they need to issue a claim.

If you don't think you owe the money then dispute it, but if you're just laying low knowing waiting for it to go away the next thing will be a County Court Claim pack.

Grow some ⚽⚽'s and confront this problem now.
    • quarantine
    • By quarantine 4th May 19, 6:44 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    quarantine
    • 4th May 19, 6:44 PM
    • 4th May 19, 6:44 PM
    Sadly it doesn't drop off until November next year,

Resolve call do not own the debt they're only acting on behalf of another DCA.
    I made some very bad decisions in my younger years that has caused me alot of harrasment from DCA companies and I'm almost debt free.

I have fought 2 CCJS previously and won. I'm looking for advice to challenge this debt. Perhaps some template letters that may buy me some time.
    • tight4rse
    • By tight4rse 4th May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    tight4rse
    • 4th May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 4th May 19, 6:52 PM
    I made some very bad decisions in my younger years that has caused me alot of harrasment from DCA companies and I'm almost debt free.
    Again debt collectors asking for money back isn't harassment. Neither is knocking on your door when they know you're avoiding them.

What grounds are you trying to challenge the debt on? Do you owe the money or don't you?
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 17,240 Posts
    • 16,255 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 4th May 19, 6:57 PM
    Hi,

Your debt is owned by hoist portfolio, who in turn own Robinson way, who it appears, have engaged one of the last doorstep collector companies that are left, to come call on you, aren’t you lucky !!

Ok, the facts, resolve call are just 3rd party interlopers here, acting on behalf of their clients, they are just self employed doorstep collectors, no more power than next doors cat, they can be ignored.

I’m not going to offer judgement on you here, you will be lucky to avoid hoist getting legal with you, however it’s about 50/50 if they will or not, you may be able to ride out the next few months till it’s statute barred, you may not.

If they issue a claim in the meantime, you’ll need to deal with it.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    • JayRitchie
    • By JayRitchie 4th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    JayRitchie
    • 4th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 4th May 19, 7:02 PM
    From your first post you think this is a genuine balance you owe?

Shouldnt you be arranging to pay? Someone asking for money they are owed is not harassment.
    • quarantine
    • By quarantine 4th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    quarantine
    • 4th May 19, 7:14 PM
    • 4th May 19, 7:14 PM
    Hi,

Your debt is owned by hoist portfolio, who in turn own Robinson way, who it appears, have engaged one of the last doorstep collector companies that are left, to come call on you, arenít you lucky !!

Ok, the facts, resolve call are just 3rd party interlopers here, acting on behalf of their clients, they are just self employed doorstep collectors, no more power than next doors cat, they can be ignored.

Iím not going to offer judgement on you here, you will be lucky to avoid hoist getting legal with you, however itís about 50/50 if they will or not, you may be able to ride out the next few months till itís statute barred, you may not.

If they issue a claim in the meantime, youíll need to deal with it.
    Originally posted by sourcrates

I appreciate you not passing judgement unlike others have. If it went to the CCJ stage I would offer a payment upon then however I would like to try and challenge this debt. My main reason is the amount of fees added on by the credit card company in the first instance we are taking double the original balance here.

Could you advise me whats the best method to try.

I was considering a SAR and seing what info they had on me however is it better to request the CCA ?
    Is there anyway I can stop these cats from visiting ? is removing implied rights still a legal option here. Thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th May 19, 7:28 PM
    • 17,240 Posts
    • 16,255 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th May 19, 7:28 PM
    • 4th May 19, 7:28 PM
    Whoever you owed the original debt too, has long since lost interest in it, hence why it now belongs to Hoist.

They will have picked it up as part of a bulk purchase for literally a few quid, and are now trying to recover the full balance from you.

Now, although this is perfectly legal under current law, it does leave a bitter taste in many peoples mouths.

I dislike debt collectors for a number of reasons, mainly for the underhand, downright illegal tactics they employ on mostly vulnerable people, in order to obtain payment, although they have been rained in by the regulators in recent years, I am still no big fan.

You should send a provit letter to them, for the following reasons :

(1) to make sure this debt actually is yours.

(2) also to confirm they hold the correct legal paperwork for the account, that allows them to collect this debt.

Even if they prove option (1) they will not be able to prove option (2) at least not straight away, the legal paperwork they are supposed to hold, will still be with the original creditor, and they will then have to find it.

Provit letter available here :

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
    Last edited by sourcrates; 04-05-2019 at 7:33 PM.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".

Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• quarantine
    • By quarantine 4th May 19, 7:34 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    quarantine
    Whoever you owed the original debt too, has long since lost interest in it, hence why it now belongs to Hoist.

They will have picked it up as part of a bulk purchase for literally a few quid, and are now trying to recover the full balance from you.

Now, although this is perfectly legal under current law, it does leave a bitter taste in many peoples mouths.

I dislike debt collectors for a number of reasons, mainly for the underhand, downright illegal tactics they employ on mostly vulnerable people, in order to obtain payment, although they have been rained in by the regulators in recent years, I am still no big fan.

You should send a provit letter to them, for the following reasons :

(1) to make sure this debt actually is yours.

(2) also to confirm they hold the correct legal paperwork for the account, that allows them to collect this debt.

Even if they prove option (1) they will not be able to prove option (2) at least not straight away, the legal paperwork they are supposed to hold, will still be with the original creditor, and they will then have to find it.

Thank you for your time and help on this matter. I very much share your views on these DCA companies and sadly I have seen first hand there underhand tactics and providing false paperwork in the past it almost cost me a CCJ.

By sending this letter am I also avoiding restarting the clock so to speak.

Many thanks
    Last edited by quarantine; 04-05-2019 at 7:37 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th May 19, 7:37 PM
    • 17,240 Posts
    • 16,255 Thanks
    sourcrates
    The link has been added to post #9# above.

The letter we use is specifically worded so as not to acknowledge the account in question.

Send it off, let us know the response.

• quarantine
    • By quarantine 4th May 19, 7:42 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    quarantine

The letter we use is specifically worded so as not to acknowledge the account in question.

Thank you Sourcrates its very much appreciated
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th May 19, 7:48 PM
    • 17,240 Posts
    • 16,255 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Thank you Sourcrates its very much appreciated
    Originally posted by quarantine
    No problem.

Good luck with it.

• Karonher
    • By Karonher 4th May 19, 8:27 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 2,248 Thanks
    Karonher
    you may be able to ride out the next few months till it’s statute barred, you may not.

I think it is November next year not this year.
    Getting ready for Christmas 2019

Aiming to make £5,000 online in 2019.
    • quarantine
    • By quarantine 17th May 19, 9:35 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    quarantine

Hi Sourcrates, I wanted to update this thread.
    I sent the letter off via recorded delivery and it was signed for on the 08/05/19.

I have had no response from the DCA or even an acknowledgement.

Is this normal practice or is there a time frame for a reply ?
    Many thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 18th May 19, 11:58 AM
    • 17,240 Posts
    • 16,255 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi Sourcrates, I wanted to update this thread.
    I sent the letter off via recorded delivery and it was signed for on the 08/05/19.

I have had no response from the DCA or even an acknowledgement.

Is this normal practice or is there a time frame for a reply ?
    Many thanks
    Originally posted by quarantine

They may not reply, they will have to go back to the original creditor for the account information, give it a few weeks, then if still no response, send a follow up reminder letter.

• zippygeorgeandben
    • By zippygeorgeandben 18th May 19, 7:28 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    zippygeorgeandben
    sourcrates - you really are a star.
    Savings as of April 2019

Savings account 1 - £8562.37
    Savings account 2 - £1750.00
    Current account - £4205.49
    Total - £14,517.86
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,619Posts Today

4,913Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin