Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tugay44
    • By Tugay44 4th May 19, 10:23 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Tugay44
    POPLA appeal letter - staff member - hospital car park
    • 4th May 19, 10:23 AM
    POPLA appeal letter - staff member - hospital car park 4th May 19 at 10:23 AM
    Hello.
    I'm a doctor at an NHS hospital. I have a staff permit which I pay 40 a month for the car-park, however the parking for staff has become worse and worse since I have worked there. Closing large sections of it, whilst demand increases. I got 2 parking notices on my window for "not parking within permitted bays" and in one also "blocking other vehicles". In neither was I blocking other vehicles and I have photos to prove it. In both I indeed was not parked within any bays, due to the lack of capacity mentioned above.

Car is registered under my partners name and she received the PCNs in the post, which i appealed using her name and the templates, got my rejections and my POPLA codes.

Now I just wanted to check what I should be submitting in my appeal letter.
    So far I was just going to copy and paste the 5 templates from Coupon Mad.

Is there anything else I should or shouldn't be doing?

The firm is CPP - Car Parking Partnership.

Thanks for any help.
Page 2
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th May 19, 9:38 AM
    • 4,803 Posts
    • 4,282 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    How are they going to take any action (cancel the PCNs) if they don't know the car and you in order to check out that the car has a paid for permit to park?
    • nigelbb
    • By nigelbb 12th May 19, 10:14 AM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    nigelbb
    Thanks, however as soon as I mention the permit and the tickets I need cancelling, I'll have to give the reg to prove I have said permit. Which automatically gives my Identity to the hospital.
    Originally posted by Tugay44
    It's not the hospital who are trying to "fine" you though is it? It would also be breach of the Data Protection Act for the hospital to forward on your correspondence to ParkingEye.
    • Tugay44
    • By Tugay44 12th May 19, 1:36 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Tugay44
    I was warned earlier that the letter should not reveal the driver.

However considering the above two replies, can my letter to the hospital (from my wife) go something like...

Dear hospital,
    I am the owner of car xxxx xxx which has been subject to PCNs whilst on your premises. The driver of the car during these times is a doctor at your hospital with a valid parking permit he pays 40 a month out of his wage for.

.....then mention all the legal stuff, NHS parking principles etc helpfully mentioned in this thread......

Due to the above I do not consider it legal nor moral to be asked to pay these fines. I will be fighting the fines if they are enforced, however I would appreciate it if you could advise the CPP to cancel these fines. It would be in nobody's favour for these grievances to be solved publicly through the courts.

Signed
    *My wife*
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 13th May 19, 9:19 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 1,051 Thanks
    MistyZ
    As per Le_Kirk's question above, I too wondered how the PCN would be cancelled without identifying the driver. However on the balance of probability I decided that if Coupon-mad thinks it's a bad idea to do that, then best not to as she is almost unerringly right.

I figured that if a complaint without identifying details were to receive a very promising response from the hospital which also requested more details, then that might be the time to supply them.

I can understand why you may wish to keep the tone of the complaint polite but I think the absurdity of the parking situation needs to be emphasised i.e. that although parking is paid for there aren't always spaces ..... perhaps that is covered in the 'etc.' bit? Presumably staff are going to keep getting PCNs unless the hospital faces facts. They undoubtedly know what those facts are but need to hear them reiterated for anything to change.
    Last edited by MistyZ; 13-05-2019 at 9:25 AM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th May 19, 9:26 AM
    • 72,078 Posts
    • 84,429 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Far too mild. To operate with a flagrant disregard for the NHS Parking Principles is a breach of public policy and the regime is a scam, and its things like this which can be the final straw to cause the best, hardworking NHS staff to leave.

Be stronger about the effect this has on families and staff (and patients) and that it is a disgrace.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Tugay44
    • By Tugay44 15th May 19, 7:20 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Tugay44
    Thanks.

I wasn't going to be as mild. That was just to make sure I got the gist of not giving the driver's name away (but letting them know the driver has paid for a staff permit).

I shall send this letter tomorrow.

In the mean time I have one POPLA appeal I need to send today or tomorrow. Or at least before I get a reply from the letter to the facilities manager. Should I just appeal on the grounds set out in the templates. Signage, Keeper liability, landowner authority, charge unconscionable, and incompatibility with rights under lease.....? And hope the hospital cancels my fines before POPLA have to make a decision? And should I mention in POPLA appeal that I've written to Hospital?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 12:20 AM
    • 72,078 Posts
    • 84,429 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You have 32 days to use a POPLA code, not just the supposed 28 (honestly).

Please don't tell us what the POPLA website says about 28 days...we know what we are doing and you ALWAYS have 32 days, so does that give you the weekend too?

The complaint comes before POPLA so push the complaint this week and DO NOT POST BY LETTER! Far far too slow.

And should I mention in POPLA appeal that I've written to Hospital?
    Yes, but we want to hear tomorrow that you've got this cancelled, if possible, why not make some phone calls to bend some ears? Nothing to lose, and at the very least it would get you a name to send the complaint to in person, by email.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-05-2019 at 8:48 PM.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Tugay44
    • By Tugay44 16th May 19, 8:36 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Tugay44
    Make some calls? Get it sorted tomorrow? This all sounds good :-)
    I will write/ speak to the site manager tomorrow, should I be writing/speaking on the phone in my own name now? Not my my wife. If I'm extremely determined/aggressive about it on my behalf as a staff member/ doctor, chances are they'll cancel them? Or still better doing the letter from the keeper's point of view?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 8:52 PM
    • 72,078 Posts
    • 84,429 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Why not try both a written email complaint from your wife, written from the heart, and a phone call from you a couple of hours later, pointing the Facilities Manager to read it and (please) sort it out...

...not least due to the significant distress this is causing your wife and yourself, and the breach of the NHS Car Parking Principles, which is Govt policy and not to be ignored at the expense of beleaguered staff.

And this week is Mental Health Awareness Week...and they need to be aware how unsettling and distressing it is to be sued or have that threat hanging over you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,251Posts Today

6,440Users online

Martin's Twitter