Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarkAlexander18
    • By MarkAlexander18 3rd May 19, 8:28 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 143Thanks
    MarkAlexander18
    0 WOW
    Where are the best places to buy compostable food waste bags from?
    • 3rd May 19, 8:28 PM
    0 WOW
    Where are the best places to buy compostable food waste bags from? 3rd May 19 at 8:28 PM
    I was looking online and Amazon seems to be the best place online to buy them. However, I was going into town tomorrow and wondering if there are any high street stores which would stock them. Would I have any luck at QD, Wilkos, those kind of stores or not? How about supermarkets?
Page 1
    • Sky_
    • By Sky_ 3rd May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 1,428 Thanks
    Sky_
    • 3rd May 19, 8:41 PM
    • 3rd May 19, 8:41 PM
    We found Wilko ones to be the best value and they do a large size too, for our large(ish) kitchen compost bin.
    Feb 2019/today Barclays: 3668/ 389 MBNA: 7800/ 7395. (Total debt: 11468 7784) DFD: December 2020/ August 2020

Mortgage: March 2016: 189,000/ June 2019: 164,000
    • jwil
    • By jwil 4th May 19, 8:01 AM
    • 10,686 Posts
    • 38,201 Thanks
    jwil
    • 4th May 19, 8:01 AM
    • 4th May 19, 8:01 AM
    Most supermarkets sell them. Lidl ones are my favourite.

Co-Op have compostable carrier bags available in some shops (usually areas with a food waste collection) They are 5p each and better value than the food bin liners usually. Worth remembering if you are shopping there. It's the one time that it's worth buying a bag rather than taking your own.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 4th May 19, 8:59 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    JGB1955
    • 4th May 19, 8:59 AM
    • 4th May 19, 8:59 AM
    Are you sure you need to use compostable bags? Where I live we can use any plastic bags because

"Your food waste is now sent to an anaerobic digester where plastic bags are separated from the food as part of the treatment process."

Makes life a lot more money saving!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 5th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 10,686 Posts
    • 38,201 Thanks
    jwil
    • 5th May 19, 7:26 AM
    • 5th May 19, 7:26 AM
    Are you sure you need to use compostable bags? Where I live we can use any plastic bags because

"Your food waste is now sent to an anaerobic digester where plastic bags are separated from the food as part of the treatment process."

Makes life a lot more money saving!
    Originally posted by JGB1955
    All plants are different so it needs to be checked locally. Here, the AD plant isn't set up to remove the plastic bags, so it has to be compostable. If the food waste is going to IVC it needs to be compostable too.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,815Posts Today

6,377Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin