English Strawberries 400g £2 at Sainsbury's

Zuzel
Zuzel Posts: 188 Forumite
edited 9 July 2019 at 5:19PM in Gone off!
I know it's still early for English/British strawberries because most shops are full of Spanish ones which just aren't comparable.

But following their recent 227g/£1-50 offer which has just finished, Sainsbury's now have English strawberries 400g for £2.
Considering that the smaller packs are still £2 (in my local Sainsburys at least) and considering that 250g of English strawberries are £1-89 in Lidl I think the Sainsbury's 400g packs are great value.
Not to mention great-tasting too.
I do like a few strawberries with my extra thick double cream.
:o

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 9 Jul:

If you visit Sainsbury’s (find your nearest) or shop online, you can get 400g British strawberries for £1.75 (were £2). While this isn’t the absolute cheapest we’ve seen strawberries (400g is £1.69 at Lidl and Aldi), this is still a good price.

Big thanks to Zuzel for the spot! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• capman55
    capman55 Posts: 9
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    or Marks and Spencer’s in Scotland have Scottish Strawberries and Scottish Raspberries for £2.00
  • I bought 454 grams of Somerset-grown strawberries for £2 in Asda this morning!:D
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I don't understand this snobbish attitude towards Spanish strawberries. They taste just fine to me.

Given the choice I'd pick English purely to save air miles.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I don't understand this snobbish attitude towards Spanish strawberries. They taste just fine to me.

That’s the trouble, Spanish strawberries do, as you say, taste just fine.

English strawberries are in a league of their own and taste stunning.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

It's not snobbery if you can taste the difference (which is not a gratuitous plug for Sainsbury's) and I most certainly can. It's not limited to strawberries, either - most Spanish fruit I find distinctly poor, especially Spanish peaches. This is due to the way it is grown (for speed and yield rather than for flavour). It is not a problem, in my experience, with either Italian or French fruit,
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,861
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    350g of strawberries are £2 at Morrison's, or two for £3.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,855
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    350g of strawberries are £2 at Morrison's, or two for £3.

English ones?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 17 May 2019 at 6:44AM
    English strawberries have a lot more flavour, Spanish ones less so and a bit tarte. Compare both and you'll see the difference.

Hampshire strawberries are the best you can get, they are well known for it, which is why they serve them at Wimbledon apparently.

As always, it comes to not just weather and humidity but also the soil.

Asda do very nice English strawberries at the moment too. Strawberries are seasonal (unless you want Spanish ones of course, most of the year they are bland) so will only be around as a tasty fruit for a matter of weeks now. No difference to melons or pineapples, some months they are cheap and very tasty, most months they are expensive and tasteless or hard.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Bacman wrote: »
    English strawberries have a lot more flavour, Spanish ones less so and a bit tarte. Compare both and you'll see the difference.
    Strawberries straight from the fridge are always tart, so I prefer to leave them the sunshine for a couple of hours before consuming so they can develop their flavour and sweetness. I also tend to buy them only in season and avoid those that look like the product of runners so perhaps that's why I hadn't noticed the difference?

I do remember buying some Kent strawberries in Aldi a few summers ago. They were huge and delicious. Going to hunt some more down when the sun comes back out.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,848
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Strawberries straight from the fridge are always tart, so I prefer to leave them the sunshine for a couple of hours before consuming so they can develop their flavour and sweetness. I also tend to buy them only in season and avoid those that look like the product of runners so perhaps that's why I hadn't noticed the difference?

I do remember buying some Kent strawberries in Aldi a few summers ago. They were huge and delicious. Going to hunt some more down when the sun comes back out.

It's worth finding which variety you personally like (most packets give this information). This has a significant effect on flavour -more so than where in the UK they are grown, not least because most strawberries will have been grown in polytunnels or under glass at this time of year.

Currently, Aldi is selling British grown Malling Centenary, an excellent variety, They are well worth looking out for - the best I've had this year.

Elsanta is one of the most popular varieties with supermarket buyers (who tend to base their criteria more on storage life, appearance and resistance to transit damage than on flavour). I think they epitomise what's wrong with commercially grown strawberries but your mileage may vary.

Incidentally, all strawberries grown commercially are produced from runners - that is how the plants reproduce.

Anyone interested in how strawberries are produced commercially might find the following interesting
    https://www.yara.co.uk/crop-nutrition/strawberries/production-systems/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport