Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 28th Apr 19, 1:00 PM
    • 8,815Posts
    • 67,851Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST May 2019: May merriment
    • 28th Apr 19, 1:00 PM
    NST May 2019: May merriment 28th Apr 19 at 1:00 PM
    NST May 2019: May Merriment

The NST turtles are a merry bunch.

We are about health, wealth and a life well-lived. We want to enjoy life and live it to the full. We aim to be debt-free, to be mortgage-free, to live within our means, to have a full life without paying full prices for it. We are not solely about the money. We make lots of lists, we plan ahead, and we look at life – and ourselves – holistically.

Dedicate yourself and be focussed for the next 31 days. Work out what you truly need and learn to separate your needs from your wants. We are bombarded by messages that tell us that we need to continuously spend more and more, to acquire more and more, in order to be better and happier and more fulfilled people. DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIES.

And will you succeed?

Yes you will, indeed!

98 and ¾ percent

Guaranteed!

So says Dr Seuss

So, what can we do about it?

Make a budget and stick to it. This is the key to stopping overspending. If you don’t know how much to budget, then use this month to note down everything that you spend in a notebook, to analyse at the end. Take your notebook with you everywhere. Every day. Get receipts for every purchase and then note it down. Some use YNAB; others have spreadsheets; others use pen and paper. Find what works for you and stick to it. Every spend moves you nearer to or further away from your goal. May the odds be ever in your favour!

Enjoy the month. Do things that make you happy. Don’t be shackled by other people’s demands, schedules and expectations. Be free to be you. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose” Dr Seuss

Read. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax. All you need is a book” Dr Seuss. Take time to read for fun, for information. Read aloud, read in your head.

Reduce, reduce and reduce some more. Reduce what comes in. Reduce what you use. Reduce what you spend. Reduce what you need. Reduce how you ‘waste’ your time. Reduce screen time. Reduce electricity usage. Reduce gas usage. Reduce water usage. Reduce the amount of rubbish you throw away. Got it?!

Increase, increase and increase even more. Increase meal planning. Increase recycling. Increase wombling (think Uncle Bulgaria – making good use of the things that we find; things that the everyday folk leave behind). Increase walking. Increase being outdoors. Increase appreciating what you have. Increase the discovery of joy in your life. Increase your skills.

Move it! If you are exercising already, then up the ante. Go further, faster, heavier. If you cannot exercise then just keep moving as much as you can. For all of us, whatever your goal is, keep doing things that move you closer to it.

Every day may not be good, but there is something good in every day. Let’s make May a month of being grateful for all that we have. Post 3 gratitudes every day.

No! to wants, to treats, to coffee shops, to the work canteen, to vending machines, to takeaway establishments. You get the picture! Plan ahead, take food and drinks out with you to avoid the temptation of a ‘deal’. Especially with the half term break and little people wanting things.

Think of others.Be kind. Smile. Talk to a neighbour. Donate to charity or the foodbank. http://www.trusselltrust.org/

The Rules:

We start on May 1st and continue to the very end of the 31st.

16 NSD: you have 15 days to spend, so use them wisely, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term this month. Petrol, medications and emergency travel needs are exempt. As are reduced items if that is all you buy. If you have milk guzzlers, or have to pay for items/activities in cash, get the money out in one go and put it aside so that you can maintain an NSD if that is all you spend.

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. That is why you do a budget and note down every single spend in a notebook.

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries.

Check in every day. Short posts, long posts, ups and downs. Turtles are gregarious and friendly, they look after each other and encourage each other out of their shells.

NST May merriment #1; NSD 12/16; Ex 24/20; craft 7 (12); remove bagfuls 5 (21)

Mortgage £16,231 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
Page 14
    • Deni debt-free dreamer
    • By Deni debt-free dreamer 15th May 19, 7:13 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    Deni debt-free dreamer
    Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Carl Bard
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Really like this quote, thank you applemuncher

My update from today:
    Budget - low spending all within budget, not overdrawn this month and will be able to manage until payday on Monday but also got expenses cheque from PT job when i can get to the bank (which is 20 miles away!)

Enjoy the month - at my self employed job today and tomorrow so happy to be there.

Read - did some last night and will try to read a bit today - reading Testament of Youth and it's just got really sad

Reduce - had to buy basics today but stuck to list and budget. Got free lunch and we all got an ice cream in the afternoon as it was hot in the meeting room!

Increase walking - done well yesterday and not too bad today

Move it - as above

3 gratitudes: free lunch; clean bed sheets that were line dried and smell wonderful; lovely message from DD2 who's away at uni

Take care everyone
    Dx
    Sealed pot challenge member #118

Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #96
    CC1 = £5393.72/5776.28 CC2 = £3624.00/£3820.77

£2 savers club 33
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 15th May 19, 10:46 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 29,283 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Budget: Back from my hols but still to do. Got shopping today & should really hardly need anything other than fresh food..for the foreseeable future

Enjoy the month Been back a couple for days now & still getting straightened up after DD's tenure...

Read Finished 2 books whilst away (one a re-read) & nearly finished a third.

Reduce, reduce and reduce Have loads of stuff in & even had to throw some that DD hadn't eaten. Painful. Now need a meal plan to use up some stuff that needs eating. Supper tonight mainly from stores.

Increase Dishwasher collected yesterday so refund should be due from that.

Move it! Just out first thing to hairdressers (cancelled last 2 appts so needed). Cut grass at the back yesterday, bit of a challenge as it was so long. Now need to cut front grass, much quicker job.

Post 3 gratitudes every day Wisteria looking gorgeous in garden, hair looking much better, laughing with DD & DH at silly stuff this afternoon.

No! No eating out today.

Think of others
    Remembered we bought cough syrup from the Carmelite nuns stall at the market (!). DH who has cough says its vile. He can thank me later...

16 NSD: Now 3/16

Pay to your debt/savings OK

Plan the month: Plan is to stay here for a bit now, but we have a couple of events to go to (and still have afternoon tea tickets to use). My waistline - or scales - won't thank me though.

Check in every day Here I am, hello folks
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th May 19, 5:32 AM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 67,851 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Deni - well done on not going overdrawn this month.

Mortgage £16,231 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th May 19, 5:33 AM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 67,851 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Just keep going. Everybody gets better if they keep at it.

Ted Williams.

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 16th May 19, 9:56 AM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 20,539 Thanks
    Calling14

Ted Williams.

Really having gained my 10 year MSE badge this week, beginning to wonder

Yesterday's check in

Day off - walked a hilly 17k, can't believe old folks walk faster than me. Very warm so I needed another drink, taken one with me but drunk that and a naughty cookie somehow came attached. No SFD then. Not sure why my shoulders are so stiff today.

SFD 4/15 - will up my gain now.

Grateful for
    Lovely day again
    Debt moving in the right direction.
    My garden looking gorgeous.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now Jan 2019 £1912/£5457

PAYDBX 2019 #16 £1912/5457 £3545 to go
    EFund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge no 32
    £610/1700

• mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 16th May 19, 10:10 AM
    • 2,866 Posts
    • 31,116 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Thank you for today's quote, it has helped.

Everything feels a bit strange atm. I think I've worked out that the hayfever tablets are making me sleepy (they are the non-drowsy ones). It's lovely - just drift off into a warm and comfortable place - but inconvenient, given that there is lots I need to do (few things getting to be frogs). But the alternative is sneezing, wheezing and dribbling from every orifice. The rain last week meant I did not need to take them several days but they are necessary this week.

I also have beginnings of eczema/ dermatitis (ordinary one not the sun based one, have that too) which is usually at times of emotional stress or having too many things to worry about and therefore 'parked' some of them at the back of my brain until I have spare capacity/ energy. I have cream for it but it's totally unhelpful given that nearly everything in the house needs a good clean.

Plan is to start on something and try not to worry about the rest, giving top priority to ordering a repeat prescription and other essentials. Can I claim rubber/plastic gloves as a medical necessity?

Today I am grateful for the sunshine (it's cheerful even if it does set the hayfever off and show up all the dirty bits you hadn't noticed), for lovely sleep (at the wrong times) and for a sense of humour (laughing at myself for the 'grudging' tome of my gratitudes).
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST May #11 SFD 9/15 Food 200/£160 Travel £11.80/20 Ent 0/12 Diy 10/£10 Ext clothes 71 bras 26?
    No Debt No mortgage
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 16th May 19, 3:03 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 19,810 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 9

Must admit I'm feeling a bit lethargic these days. No reason really and I know I shouldn't be because I'm very lucky. I have lots of things I should/could be doing but I just can't find the motivation. Must give myself a good talking to.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th May 19, 3:46 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 67,851 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Mothernerd - yep, those gloves are a need.

Calling - oops! Keep on plodding...

Toni'sfriend - maybe you are fighting off the bugs that himself has been harbouring...

• Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 16th May 19, 5:09 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 27,789 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    NSD today - 13/20.
    Grateful for:
    Someone buying me lunch today.
    Having a good chat with person who brought lunch. (Someone who I have not seen for a while).
    Nice weather.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2019: May merriment NSD 20/20
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th May 19, 5:17 PM
    • 4,494 Posts
    • 41,688 Thanks
    dolly84
    Worked today. Hated it last week and went this morning to tell them I would work till the end of the month, went in and what a change, another member of staff has badly let them down and I think they have realised that they haven't looked after me or trained me. Today flew by.

Cycled yesterday but it ended up being a quick one as when I got home from the school run I found I had locked myself out and had to break in with the use of ladders, I don't like ladders, it was all very amusing for my neighbours I think.

NSD today.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th May 19, 6:27 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 67,851 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Glad you managed to get into your house, dolly. And what a transformation at work!

Today I am grateful for a good day at work, for happy children, for getting another bag to the Sally Army shop, for my kettlebell, for baked potatoes, for the sunshine, for dd finishing her sats happily.

• sashanut
    • By sashanut 16th May 19, 10:58 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 29,283 Thanks
    sashanut
    No 10 checking in
    Hi all

Budget: Back from my hols but still to do.

Enjoy the month
    Lots of lovely things growing as we have had lots of rain here - & now sun. Sadly quite a few not so lovely things also growing

Read Still on book no 3, keep falling asleep whilst reading.

Reduce, reduce and reduce Managed to squeeze yet more of the food into the stuffed freezers so it doesn't go off. Also used up some beef to make supper, new dish to us & voted a hit.

Increase Plan to start photographing & hopefully selling for the weekend.

Move it! Out in the garden for a couple of hours.

Post 3 gratitudes every day Lots of seeds sprouting in greenhouse, happy animals & their antics, wearing my embroidered blouse for vyshyvanka day..
    No! No eating out today.

Think of others More of the vile syrup for DH, but he admits it's doing him good. I do have 2 more bottles stashed..

16 NSD: Still 3/16

Pay to your debt/savings OK

Plan the month Need to plan more to make the most of the days this month.

Check in every day Here I am, hello folks
    Last edited by sashanut; 16-05-2019 at 11:00 PM.
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 17th May 19, 5:34 AM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 67,851 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I'll probably never fully become what I wanted to be when I grew up, but that's probably because I wanted to be a ninja princess.

Cassandra Duffy

Never let go of your dreams, turtles

• SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th May 19, 7:28 AM
    • 2,539 Posts
    • 21,381 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning turtles,

I've been awfully absent lately as I still try and catch up from my holiday.

Quickly; yesterday was NSD #6 with today being #7 if I don't join my boss and his friends for food/drinks later tonight. Decisions, decisions.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • Shrewbie
    • By Shrewbie 17th May 19, 8:50 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    Shrewbie

Ted Williams.

I love this apple so simple but very easy to forget, there's no secret, most of the time it's just effort and hard work.

I'm not doing very well with the nsds at the moment. Starting to panic a little even though I have a decent amount of savings, still 2.5 months summer with no work are looming.

Part of me really wants to take advantage of the time and work on some things that I've been meaning to for ages and part of me is worried about money even though I can definitely survive and I have no problem being on a strict budget. I already have saved the money for it, just need to be realistic.

Grateful for the library, for being able to sit outside and drink in the sunshine, for some things finally falling into place
    CC £2476/£2476 100% OD £602/£602 100%
    Emergency Fund €2K/€2k 100% Holiday Fund €2K/2K Savings €1k/5K
    NST MAY MERRIMENT NSD 5/16 Spend fast 2019!!!
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 17th May 19, 9:06 AM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 20,241 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    DS 1 announced grandly (when he was 5), that he was going to eat fish when he grew up.... it it turned out that it was because he was going to be a penguin.... so ninja princess is still more likely than our kid.

Sats are over, so I took the whole family out for supper last night, DS3 and DS1 chose, and DS3 was so happy he kept hugging everyone. I thought he was going to cry about half a dozen times. So it was appreciated. Also because week 1 of GCSEs are over (only another 4 to go, but I am not taking them out every week!) not to0 horrific - £85 for the 6 of us, including starters and drinks, and it is a very nice place.

Then Eurovision!! part deux - going to love seeing the kids watching it. I think the thigh boots are going to get disapproving comments - my children are awful puritans, so Iceland is going to mess with their heads. I love Eurovision. It is just utterly joyful joyous nonsense.

I have raided the local c00p for every doughnut in the place to send in to school with fizzy pop as they are having a party all day. So I think year 6 teaching is now over until they start big school, it is just films, art and running around screaming while waving their hands in the air, and sportsday - who could forget sportsday!

I am getting stupid repeated stupid payments from the child tax peoples - why they can't just pay one amount in, I have no idea, but I have had 4 payments in the last 3 days of random small amounts (under a tenner), oh well, they will no doubt send me a letter in a fortnight telling me why..............................

Grateful for:
    Appreciation from DS3
    My seedlings growing nicely
    Coming in under budget for last week
    The huge camp sparkle-fest that is EuroVision
    That we are all healthy (D&V is going around the schools again - it has been about 6 years since the last time it hit our household, and I am still traumatized. )
    Last edited by f0xh0les; 17-05-2019 at 9:08 AM. Reason: my too came out as to, so I had to go and change that to too
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700,1/19 £99,999.99 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,999.991/4 £98,500 1/5 £97,999.99

MFW 2019 #65
    L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 17th May 19, 1:36 PM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 20,539 Thanks
    Calling14
    NSD 5/15

Very quick check in .

Small food spend today used morrisons voucher as well £4.34.

Was naughty and bought some clothes, had a clear out lately and the rest looking tired. Not too big a spend but not in budget this month, but have cancelled my hair appt so that will cover it.

Increased my dd to a fixed amount on one cc as so small amount i am paying now, will be years clearing the balance. Feel smug now I am on top of this card.

Grateful for
    Sunshine now
    Long weekend, away Mon/ Tues. Victory parade and Manics

Grandson home from his holiday with a friend.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now Jan 2019 £1912/£5457

PAYDBX 2019 #16 £1912/5457 £3545 to go
    EFund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge no 32
    £610/1700

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 17th May 19, 4:30 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 19,810 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Himself and I went for a walk this morning. Only three miles but much better than the last few weeks when I really haven't been out at all. Whilst we were out we popped into Farmfoods and stocked up on butter because they had a deal on. Should have kept him away from the cakes and biscuits.

Feeling a bit more positive today. I don't think I'm getting out enough/doing things/seeing people and that's why I'm feeling a bit down. I'm not a great mixer but I feel as if I'm just sitting at home doing nothing. I know we go on lots of holidays but I need to start doing things when we're at home.

On the children front, I really lost my temper with one last night. Shouted at him and told him to go back to his own area and play there. I have never seen such a vicious little boy. He's only 5 and the 12 year olds are afraid of him. He literally attacks them with anything that comes to hand, bites, pulls hair, kicks in the stomach, scratches, etc, etc, etc and the language that he uses would embarrass a navvie. The others say has anger issues. Is it possible for a 5 year old to anger issues? Maybe. I don't know. But in any case no 5 year old should be wandering about the neighbourhood without adult supervision (especially when he's as violent as this one). Anyway, it's quiet just now (if you ignore the game of cops and robbers that's going on but that's just noise).

So, I have lots that I want to do tomorrow.

Must get on with sorting out dinner.
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 17th May 19, 5:01 PM
    • 2,750 Posts
    • 27,789 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Was a spend day - top up food shop and tv mag.
    Grateful for:
    Walk into town centre.
    Afternoon nap.
    Self care.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST May 2019: May merriment NSD 20/20
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 17th May 19, 6:33 PM
    • 8,815 Posts
    • 67,851 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a stonking workout, for meeting up with a friend and she paid, for getting back in time for sch pick up (always useful), for dh's eye appt going quite well, for a library visit with dd (and 17 books between us...), for not getting rained on (Shrewbie - rather jealous of your sunshine...), for getting 7 veg down us for tea, for it being friday!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

4,362Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin