Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 28th Apr 19, 1:04 AM
    • 20Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Bonez257
    Letter of Claim - CSB Solicitors
    • 28th Apr 19, 1:04 AM
    Letter of Claim - CSB Solicitors 28th Apr 19 at 1:04 AM
    Hello Everyone,

So I've been reading numerous threads with some saying I should ignore a letter like this and others stating i shouldn't and in fact i should reply to them etc.
    It's a letter from a so called solicitors called CSB Solicitors for a PCN I got a couple of months back for parking at Salford University and now I apparently owe 130. The client being represented by CSB Solicitors is called Parking Solutions 24 LTD and up until now I have been ignoring the letters. They have attached an Annex 2 Standard Financial Statement and also a Annex 1 Information Sheet along with a reply form. Although at the bottom of the letter it states I should send the reply form to Ultimate Customer Solutions and I have seen on another thread that this is a debt-collector company so I shouldn't send them anything. I've been given 30 days (10 have already passed) to either pay up or they "may" start court proceedings. They've also stated I cant appeal to POPLA as the period to appeal has ended.

I've ignored letters up to now but also as I live in a student accommodation and not at home which made me want to give this forum a go and post this mess on here, I haven't exactly been receiving the letters in good time which makes me wonder if I can use the "I live at a different address" defence if it comes to it? Or should I email them stating this? I have my insurance addressed at my University address but the claimant has gone through DVLA and got my details for my home address it seems. They have also attached a Statement of Account where they state additional costs could add up to 202.25 (25 for claim issue fee, 50 for solicitors cost, 25 for judgement costs, 100 warrant issue fee and 2.25 for Solicitors cost for issue of warrant). Could anyone give me any up to date advice on this please? Thank you
Page 2
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 6th May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    I have received a response from the PPC. Do I need to show proof of ID for a SAR request or are they having me on?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 6th May 19, 8:30 PM
    • 6,537 Posts
    • 8,662 Thanks
    waamo
    They are entitled to see proof of I.D. A copy of your V5 is sufficient.
    This space for hire.
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 7th May 19, 1:23 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257

You do not get a CCJ even if you lose; as long as you pay within 30 days of judgment it's all sorted and nothing stays on the register (i.e. your credit record). No 'risk' as long as you don't miss court deadlines, you may as well defend and fight.

You will likely pay less than is being demanded even if you lose, all over with no effect on your credit rating - you will have cost THEM more.

I'm just wondering, does this rule still apply or has it been changed? I ask because its been like 6 years since this was posted on the sticky thread
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th May 19, 4:56 AM
    • 23,336 Posts
    • 37,169 Thanks
    Umkomaas

You do not get a CCJ even if you lose; as long as you pay within 30 days of judgment it's all sorted and nothing stays on the register (i.e. your credit record). No 'risk' as long as you don't miss court deadlines, you may as well defend and fight.

You will likely pay less than is being demanded even if you lose, all over with no effect on your credit rating - you will have cost THEM more.

I'm just wondering, does this rule still apply or has it been changed? I ask because its been like 6 years since this was posted on the sticky thread
    Originally posted by Bonez257
    The sticky thread originated 6 years ago, but it is one that is subject to regular update. If you look at the foot of each post (there are 5 of them) you will see when the most recent update was effected. Anything in that post at the time of the update was current.

In relation to what you are quoting, this is the update entry at the foot of post #2.

Last edited by Coupon-mad; 02-02-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 14th May 19, 1:26 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    Hi Everyone,

I got a response from the SAR email I had sent and have received all the information I asked for (pictures etc). Can anyone advise next step please?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 14th May 19, 4:04 AM
    • 23,336 Posts
    • 37,169 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Have you responded to the LBC sent to you by the solicitors? If not, that needs to be done by the 30 day deadline.

How to deal with the LBC is covered in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th May 19, 11:28 AM
    • 71,909 Posts
    • 84,326 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Dispute the debt in the reply to CSB solicitors, and reiterate clearly which is your 'address for service' (i.e. the one you need the claim form to go to) which in my mind would NOT be your term time address in case they serve the claim in August!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 14th May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    I have already emailed the solicitors quite a while ago acknowledging the LoC, disputing the debt and have also asked them for another LoC as the one they have sent me doesn't comply with the PD. Do I wait for them to reply?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 14th May 19, 8:29 PM
    • 71,909 Posts
    • 84,326 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Do they have the term time address and the home address? If so, do what I said.
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 14th May 19, 9:29 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    Do they have the term time address and the home address? If so, do what I said.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    Yes this has already been done
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 14th May 19, 9:51 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    Have you responded to the LBC sent to you by the solicitors? If not, that needs to be done by the 30 day deadline.

How to deal with the LBC is covered in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #2.
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    So I've sent an SAR and received a reply and have also emailed the solicitors and the PPC about the LoC and requested for them to send me another one that complies with the PD (all this from sticky). I'm assuming I just wait now to receive a letter from the court since this is the next step?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th May 19, 4:31 PM
    • 71,909 Posts
    • 84,326 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yes if the SAR has disclosed all your personal data, then wait, but spend the time reading similar threads.

parking at Salford University
    I expect it's about not displaying a permit? Search the forum for:

University permit claim

and

defence Pace v Lengyel impossibility true

...and you will see how to word your defence in due course. Easy enough, once you have prepared and researched it well.

Also read Pace v Lengyel (see the Parking Prankster's case law pages).
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 15-05-2019 at 4:35 PM.
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 15th May 19, 5:36 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    Yes if the SAR has disclosed all your personal data, then wait, but spend the time reading similar threads.

I expect it's about not displaying a permit? Search the forum for:

University permit claim

and

defence Pace v Lengyel impossibility true

...and you will see how to word your defence in due course. Easy enough, once you have prepared and researched it well.

Also read Pace v Lengyel (see the Parking Prankster's case law pages).
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    No I don't actually have a permit as I don't go to that particular university. I was just going to the library to study over the holidays
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 12:01 AM
    • 71,909 Posts
    • 84,326 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    On all fours with the findings and facts in Pace v Lengyel then, I hope you have realised - plus that case was decided by DJ Iyer sitting at Manchester court.

You must cite it and serve that transcript at WS & evidence stage.

Hopefully your court is also Manchester!
    • wrestling231
    • By wrestling231 17th May 19, 11:09 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    wrestling231
    i got a parking ticket at salford uni ...... i got the similiar lettter from csb..... are you defending ure self or u getting legal aid?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th May 19, 9:07 AM
    • 4,785 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    i got a parking ticket at salford uni ...... i got the similiar lettter from csb..... are you defending ure self or u getting legal aid?
    Originally posted by wrestling231
    Defending yourself? Legal Aid? This is the small claims court and the "defending yourself" is done by writing and submitting a defence, witness statement, skeleton argument (optional) and cost schedule. There is no need for solicitors for the defendant and unlikely to get legal aid (IMHO) for a parking invoice.
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 18th May 19, 1:19 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    I've had a response from the SRA to say they aren't taking any further action after sending them pictures of the letters. Was this expected?
    • Bonez257
    • By Bonez257 18th May 19, 1:20 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Bonez257
    Originally posted by wrestling231
    I'll let you know outcome
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th May 19, 12:34 AM
    • 71,909 Posts
    • 84,326 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I've had a response from the SRA to say they aren't taking any further action after sending them pictures of the letters. Was this expected?
    Originally posted by Bonez257
    Yes, sadly, the SRA don't appear to care about bottom-feeding 'solicitor'/debt collector firms misleading people about liability and how much can be recovered, bailiffs, and all the scary stuff that WILL NOT HAPPEN.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,874Posts Today

6,565Users online

Martin's Twitter