Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 26th Apr 19, 3:33 PM
    • 1,080Posts
    • 5,628Thanks
    Tink_04
    The simple life
    • 26th Apr 19, 3:33 PM
    The simple life 26th Apr 19 at 3:33 PM
    I have debated a lot about starting a diary. I love reading others and have got so much inspiration and tips at times and it really keeps me motivated with my own debt busting! So I thought I'd jump in with my thoughts, debt payments and daily life journey!

The debt I have is manageable for now but I want to pay as much as I can off this year as I may not be working for much longer. I have been in really bad unmanageable debt before and had my LBM and cleared a lot but since moving house things have been sneaking back up and I don't want to be in the same position as I was a few years ago. I have learnt a lot from this site and we have borrowed as sensibly as possible but it totals more than I would like to have and our savings are down to the bare bones (example of this is the loan as our boiler broke and we had to take this out for a new one)

So here it is ...

• Store card 245
    • Loan 1696.34
    • purchase 583.24
    • CC 2239.93
    • OD 500

Total - 5289.51

The loan and the OD are the only things that are not 0% I have been paying the store card off 1st as the 0% runs out next month so want to clear that off so I can focus on a the loan.

It is me, DH, DD & DS at home and we have been plodding along nicely. The debt is not out of control (yet) but I'm aware that things may be changing soon and it would be better if these were all gone.

My bills have been thinned right down, I have just cancelled our TV package as was going to go up and the offers were rubbish. I refuse to pay that much for TV when there is nothing on. I have just received a CHQ for 25 for switching G&E and my car insurance is due next month so may get some more cash back depending who I go with. This has been my first task to make sure our budget is in good shape.

I also love the OS board and cooking and shopping from scratch although I need to get my meal planning mojo back as this is great for saving money, if I'm not going to be working I want to be able to look after us as well as possible and cook, eat & shop better.

Having a relaxing weekend as the kids are exhausted from the 1st week back at school after the holidays. Hoping for a NSD tomorrow as have mince in so may make a pasta bake for tea and do sandwiches or 'picnic' stuff for lunch to use up some bits in the fridge.

Will be back to update some plans soon

Tink
    Last edited by Tink_04; 27-04-2019 at 7:16 PM.
    Living the simple life
Page 4
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 9th Jun 19, 9:12 AM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 36,472 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Chicken dinners sounds yummy. Just OH and me in this household, so sometimes a chicken seems to linger on a bit, also we are retired and sometimes I cannot face eating rubber chicken again having done it for 50 years Spag bol, or bolognaise bake for us today.

I do a meal plan every week/10 days, going through fridge/freezer/cupboards, but do not allocate days to it, except when stuff needs using quickly. That way I can juggle it around to take account of my energy levels. It drives OH mad when I change things around, but since, although he does the veg and cooks it each day, he will not take over the choosing, cooking etc, he just has to put up with it

Sunny here after 2 days rain, need to get a shift on and play in the garden, the weeds will be like triffids now and very wet, but needs must.

Have a good day.
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 9th Jun 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well 4 of us Maddie so an XL chicken has fed us today, will go in sweet potato curry tomorrow for tea and will also do lunches for a few days too! I've made a big salad and put it in the fridge as will use up all the bits and go with lunch for the first time too I've boiled the carcass and I'm making chicken stock for the freezer I'm really proud of this and I'm hoping I can do it regularly so I can use it instead of cubes etc - really want to keep replace things with more HM versions that I know what is in our food.

We have also booked a short break for the Autumn I'm taking the kids out of school but I cannot afford the half term prices (over 1000 for 4 nights!) I will see if the school authorise it - worth a shot! I just want us to go away and have some family time, mine have never been abroad and we do 1 little caravan holiday a year, this is a beautiful lodge in a Forrest so will be really nice in Autumn.

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 11th Jun 19, 8:14 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Ok I've just done my gas and electric readings and my electric seems quite high? Since 10th April I have used 543kw which works out at 9 per day? Is this a lot for a house with 4 of us?

We have a shower (not elec) washer & DW - elec oven.

I just think this seems high but I may be wrong?

Tink?
    Living the simple life
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 12th Jun 19, 11:35 AM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning Tink That chicken has gone a long way I buy a medium one and after using it for a roast dinner the rest is for sandwiches.

I don't blame you for taking the children out of school. I really fail to see how 3 or 4 days away is going to make that much difference to their overall education. I could tell you how DS's high school are always banging on about attendance then do this thing where all pupils miss a full day of lessons, without parent's permission I might add, to help out in the office, but I won't.

We've recently done the same exercise with electric. We were using about 15 per day but we have loads of computer stuff etc. Hubby makes a point of switching some of it off at night now and we've definitely found a difference as we're down to about 10-12. He still thinks it could improve though. xx
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Jun 19, 8:53 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi Tea!

Yeah it's really annoying! My kids have had days when they have watched movies all day towards the end of term .... it's just crazy

I've been looking at it seems about average. I'm still walking round turning things off as I hate it when things are left on all day for no reason.

Today I'm at the drs then going home to potter and tidy up. I have a few people to call and Email, one to pay a bill and one for a refund so will get that sorted out today.

The weather is awful and the rain is just making things miserable. Looking forward to the weekend

Managed to get the kids uniform bits in early as was a 20% off so only have PE kit, branded jumpers, shoes and bags to get. The Uniform saving pot has taken a bash but that's what it is there for. I swear they get more expensive every year!

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 30th Jun 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Ok .... it's been a little while and things have just blown up and it's all a mess again!

The roof leaked and caused some damage, the savings (and more) were used to pay for the repairs but it looks like we are going to need a new roof sooner rather than later

I have been trying to keep us all paddling but everything is out of sync I have been missing things as I'm not concentrating properly

DH pay day is changing next months which has caused an issue as will end up paying more out. I don't think I can work out where we are at the moment.

Will do some figures and try and get a plan together so I can start getting back on track but I don't even know where we are at the moment.

Positives I have done tho:

* got some of the kids uniform for September in
    * Kept the SC clear
    * I have been meal planning
    * got 14 in survey account
    * got enough points for 5 in receipt hog (going to keep going for now tho)

Sorry this update is a bit of a downer, will report back when I know the damage ....

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 30th Jun 19, 6:56 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi Tink Oh no, leaky roofs are a pain in the bum and also expensive. Are you thinking a full re-roof or a patch up job for now?

I don't think it's a downer post, in fact I think your list of positives really are positive.

Hope you manage to get yourself sorted with DH's pay and get back on track asap. xx
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 1st Jul 19, 6:56 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Thanks tea!

We have patched it up but will need a new roof, just hoping it holds this winter as I don't want to borrow for it

The savings took a big hit and I had to raid everything I had to make it through the month.

Going to sit and do the figures tonight. We have had a 0% card offer so going to do a shuffle so at least there is no interest to pay. I don't know if I can add the loan onto the card as we pay interest on it and it would save us a big money. Not sure if that is possible? Will have to have a look.

Kids are on a school trip tomorrow so busy making packed lunches, the online shopping came and I have 150 left in the shopping pot for 3 weeks - keeping this month tight!

I will update my figure later and see where I stand.

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 4th Jul 19, 5:31 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well, I'm still working on numbers as we are shuffling some debt to a 0% card but have used this card for a 0% purchase too. It had to be done as the EF got eaten by the roof and an item needed to be replaced immediately so not much I could do at the time.

So onwards an upwards, I have squirrelled 300 straight back to the EF, I want this built up ASAP to at least 1600 so this is a priority.

The loan stands at 1562 - this is the only thing we are paying interest on so I want to start making additional payments to this too.

The rest is 0% and I'm working on a final number as some things have been paid off and others added. This will not be my priority until the loan is paid then I will move the overpayments to this.

I know this isn't exact at the moment but I feel I need something to look at now as I hate not having a plan in front of me.

Kids uniform buying is going well and my survey and RH is adding up. I want to get a system rolling and make some serious work for the rest of the year.

It's July now so 6 more paydays before 2020! My aim is ..

*EF to be at 1000

*Loan to be gone

This is doable if we budget and work hard - the other things that are 0% I will track the 0% debt but focusing on these 2 for now as these seem the most important.

I'm also going to try and log in here once a day to keep me going

Let's see how things go ...

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 4th Jul 19, 6:23 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    teafor2
    Evening Tink Good plan to get some money back into the EF fund and also pay the loan off. And if you can keep on track 6 months isn't too long to see those goals come to fruition

I definitely think coming on here as much as you can helps keep the mind focused.

I've just cashed out 5 on Shoppix, it's much quicker than RH - I've still got half way to go with them but I'll get there eventually. It's all free money so I'm not complaining.

Look forward to your updates. xx
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 6th Jul 19, 8:45 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well today's update and check in is a good one. Me and DH have worked out the money and sat down again. The CC took a bit of a hit with the whole roof issues but it's not as bad as I thought.

500 - OD
    1562.15 -L 10.4%
    3266.32 - CC 0%

5328.47 - Total

So I have 3 items ( the purchase was quite low and I had been making additional payments - was only 200 left so that got paid off)

As you can see the loan is the priority now. I can only make 1 extra payment a month as it adds it to the DD. We have rounded it up by 20 as is due out in the next few days then I'm going to be allocating what ever I can to make a bigger additional payment each month.

The EF is still a priority but has 300 in it and I'm going to carry on saving 50 and trying to 'make' 50 extra so the payment is 100 a month to save.

So far we have just been trying to get back on track but I feel that I need to keep pushing ahead or it will all end up a huge mess again

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 6th Jul 19, 8:48 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Hi tea!

I will have a look at shoppix as RH does take forever! I have 20 now from prolific so that will be counted towards the EF 50 to raise once I cash it out!

Really need to focus these next few months and get into better habits.

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 6th Jul 19, 10:11 AM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    teafor2
    Morning Tink Definitely look at Shoppix. I thought I'd mentioned it but obviously not. I can cash out on there twice as quick as RH so really worth doing. You get little surveys and scratchcards as well that you win on - I never win anything on those blooming slots on RH

Your debts don't look so bad written down into 3 headings but you're definitely right to pay the loan off first. Although that 10.4% looks pretty good compared to the 26% I was paying

Have a lovely weekend. xx
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 7th Jul 19, 8:04 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Thanks tea, things have been tough the last few months and I'm no longer getting paid from work for my sickness (I have a chronic illness and have been off a long time) I'm hoping to return to work in the next few months but it's a long process, this is why the EF is so important to us.

Anyway yesterday was spendy as took DD out to get some back to school stuff and it's not cheap! I had some money put aside but it's still a big chunk gone!

Today will be an easy day, going to take it easy and get sorted for next week. Only 2 weeks left at school for the kids so will need to organise holiday activities. We are not going away over the holidays as is so expensive but have some lovely things in our hone town and surrounding area so we can always find things to do.

Need to sort a meal plan out and organise a top up shop too.

Will see how I manage the holidays as it's DS birthday then DD the following month.

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 7th Jul 19, 2:37 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi Tink Sorry to hear you've been struggling health wise. Hope things get better as time goes on.

I think being organised is the key to the summer holidays with children. And also remembering sometimes just lounging around at home is all they want to do.... I was always happy to oblige the PJ day request

Keeping on track is hard and boring sometimes but it will be worth it in the end. xx
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 12th Jul 19, 9:55 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Well it's one more day to the weekend! Had Loads on this week and it can't come quick enough!

Got the SC in with jacket potatoes in and have to bits to use in the fridge as toppings so that will clear things out a bit.

Need to take a step back tho as I'm getting all muddled up again!

DH pay day changes this month and need to do an account review to make sure there is no DD missed out. It's also added a week on to the shopping so I now have 2 weeks left in the month rather than one and already have nothing in. Think a freezer inventory is needed.

For the holidays I'm 'trialing' packed lunches. If I can make sandwiches (frozen in buns) or a big tub of Pasta (Tuna/Chicken) then I can just add snacks and things to it and fill up a water bottle. I'm hoping this works so I can have a cheaper and more organised school holiday. I managed to get some sausage rolls ys the other day so I cut them in half and froze them too wondering if anyone else does things like this?

The kids break up next week and I have been doing well with the uniform shopping which comes out of that pot, it's very low now tho so need to sort out EXACTLY what is needed. I did well tho and had got underwear packs in the next size up reduced to 2 in A$da the other day so that is something else ticked off my list - still need...

* jumpers / cardigans
    * Out door PE kit for DS
    * Shoes & plimsoles
    * Water bottle for DS
    * Hoody for outdoor PE for DD

I have done well, just need to plan my 6 weeks on the board so we all know where we which week and we will be fine.

Always so busy!

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • SSDD23
    • By SSDD23 12th Jul 19, 11:10 AM
    • 1,526 Posts
    • 4,813 Thanks
    SSDD23
    You are sounding extremely organised - well done!

I had no idea you could put jacket potatoes in the slow cooker?!
    Debt Target #08 - 0/489.06 (0%)
    Debts busted: 7/10
    NSD Target: 3/15
    Annual Car Costs Fund: 218
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Jul 19, 8:15 AM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    Yeah you just put a bit salt and oil and wrap them in foil. 4 hours on high. If you want to crisp them stick them in the oven or under the grill for 10mins

It's all going on here, we think we can move the loan & OD onto a 0% card, this way everything will be on 0% and we can pay more off. We have been looking at the bills and this will make things simpler and save us some money too

Things are so tight at the moment as I now have zero income so are totally on one wage until autumn when I can get back to work then we are going to use my wage to pay off the debt so we we be used to living on one wage then when the card is cleared we can then add this to the savings fund as I will at some point be leaving work or at least cutting my hours back further

Shepherd's pie for dinner today and I'm going to make a chilli for through the week as have some mince that needs using up.

Last week at school for the kids so it's hopefully going to wind down. I'm trying to use up things from the freezer as 11 days until payday so I'm trying to hold out and only get essentials.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend

Tink
    Living the simple life
    • teafor2
    • By teafor2 14th Jul 19, 1:05 PM
    • 2,292 Posts
    • 17,910 Thanks
    teafor2
    Hi Tink Agree 100% with SSDD23, you really do sound organised and on top of your game.

DS is quite a fussy eater so even during school holidays it's still a packed lunch for him and then evening meal as normal. I wish he would eat something on toast for a change but he's having none of that malarkey

That's a good plan to use your wage for debt payments. A lot of people would struggle on one wage these days so you must be doing something right with your budgeting

Have a lovely afternoon. xx
    • Tink_04
    • By Tink_04 14th Jul 19, 9:10 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 5,628 Thanks
    Tink_04
    I'm just all over the place as thought I had final numbers but have to wait again. It is good if we can move things to 0% as that will take the pressure off.

I have been off work for a while due to disability and although I want to go back I have to complete further treatment and physio etc if I would just not recover. We are trying to get used to living with one wage as with my health issues my wage is not always guaranteed. It's all a bit complicated

Tea Mine will eat anything really it's just having things in and ready to eat for them. I often start with great ideas but then life gets in the way and I'm lost again! My slow cooker is a great asset tho - definitely my favourite kitchen appliance

Tink
    Living the simple life
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,895Posts Today

8,329Users online

Martin's Twitter