Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 26th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    • 546Posts
    • 189Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May - MSE News
    • 26th Apr 19, 2:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May - MSE News 26th Apr 19 at 2:53 PM
    Tesco is to give Clubcard-holders whopping discounts of up to 50% on selected items in-store and online as part of a major new promotion next month to celebrate the supermarket giant's 100th birthday, MoneySavingExpert.com can reveal...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 26th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    • 7,758 Posts
    • 9,800 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    • 26th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    I am relieved that I firstly bought Nescafe Alta last year and again in January when on offer in Tesco for 2.24 https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/nescafe-100g-cap-colombia-espresso-and-alta-rica-coffees-12-price-224-at-tesco-3172720

Feeling lucky that earlier in April I stocked up with x 20 at same price via Ocado and got 30% off the whole order as a new customer

Waitrose have it on offer 2.25 https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/nescafai-gold-origins-alta-rica/016824-8111-8112?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_7Tyobu4QIVx4bVCh0CqQ-gEAQYASABEgLy5fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

People will probably look at the other offers planned and may come to conclusion just normal offers ( or less)

Nescafe Alta is normally 5.00 in Tesco Express Stores /4.49 in Main stores and is regularly on offer half price or less in all Supermarkets
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 26-04-2019 at 3:27 PM.
    • redux
    • By redux 26th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 19,290 Posts
    • 26,434 Thanks
    redux
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    I've never bought any of the items mentioned.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 26th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 9,592 Posts
    • 11,581 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:40 PM
    Tesco is to give Clubcard-holders whopping discounts of up to 50% on selected items
    Originally posted by MSE Callum
    I bet it will be on stuff we wouldn't buy anyway but they'll try and get us to trade up to more expensive stuff and hope we keep on buying it at full price.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 26th Apr 19, 7:59 PM
    • 40,418 Posts
    • 312,151 Thanks
    mjm3346
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:59 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 7:59 PM
    As 50% off is just a normal offer it would be good to see some examples of "whopping discounts" which I would expect to be at least 75% off unless that is MSE has brought into the Tesco "puff piece".
    Internet goodness £26676
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 26th Apr 19, 10:23 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:23 PM
    • 26th Apr 19, 10:23 PM
    So it's exactly the same as the normal offers, but you have the scan a clubcard to get them? Wow, how exciting....

It looks like you just got handed a secret document and got overly excited as you thought you can play at being real journalists!
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 27th Apr 19, 5:57 AM
    • 2,596 Posts
    • 5,108 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    • 27th Apr 19, 5:57 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 5:57 AM
    Originally posted by MSE Callum

Sorry, but who comes up with these headlines? Is MSE a side job on your day off from the Sun/Express?

First item on the list - 50% off, making it only slightly cheaper than some other supermarket's standard price.

Is that supposed to be a news article, of have Tesco paid you to write it? If it's the latter, shouldn't it have ADVERTISEMENT blazoned across the page?

And more to the point, does Martin know? I'm sure it's against MSE ethics, if they still have any.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 27th Apr 19, 7:04 AM
    • 10,390 Posts
    • 8,868 Thanks
    prowla
    • 27th Apr 19, 7:04 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 7:04 AM
    Well, of the 5 items listed in the linked page I never have and never will buy them.

As for clubcard, it's really lost its sparkle since they devalued the points and closed the home/electrical stores and really it doesn't incentivise me to shop at Tesco over any other supermarket.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 27th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 35,042 Posts
    • 41,126 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 27th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 27th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    I rarely shop in Tesco these days

For me the points are irrelevant now
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Biscuit Tin
    • By Biscuit Tin 27th Apr 19, 12:27 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Biscuit Tin
    Tesco to offer Clubcard holders huge discounts on groceries and more in May
    Not really.

e.g. the only example you give with a suggested 50% discount
    50% off Nescafe Alta Rice instant coffee (100g) – down to £2.50 from £5
    As you rightly point out, these prices may still be beaten.

I noticed today that this product is actually priced at £4.49 in Tesco, and indeed it can be found cheaper than that in a number of other outlets. Indeed I found it today priced at just £2.25 in of all places Waitrose!
    (and it may be that price or cheaper elsewhere too!)

So perhaps an alternative way to word this would be that those without a Tesco clubcard who shop at Tesco will be royally shafted next month

One of the reasons Tesco is no longer our store of choice for a number of years now.

Edit: another example

25% off Monster Origin energy drink multipack (4x500ml) – down to £3.63 from £4.85.
    This is only £4.57 today in Tesco , whereas Asda usually charge just £3.99, but it's available in Asda today at just £3.25

Edit2:
    To complete the list of non-Tesco specific items listed

33% off Lipton Ice Tea peach flavour (1.25L) – down to £1.16 from £1.75.
    This is available in Tesco today for £1.59 (normal price)
    This is available in Asda today for £1.25 (normal price)
    Last edited by Biscuit Tin; 27-04-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    • Tawny_Owl
    • By Tawny_Owl 28th Apr 19, 11:58 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Tawny_Owl
    Shopping at Tesco is a Postcode Lottery !
    I'm a vegan, and I wonder how many products suitable for us will have 50% off ??

Their range of vegan products varies from store to store: It's completely random, I can buy certain products in smaller stores, which aren't sold in Tesco Extra stores. And these are Tesco OWN Brands !!!

My local Tesco Extra store has dropped the "Ms Molly's" Digestive biscuits - the only vegan ones in the range (and luckily the cheapest), yet they are available in a much smaller Tesco Metro ??!!!

Shopping at Tesco is a Postcode Lottery. It's little use them giving us 50% vouchers if they don't stock half the products in the first place.

They've made enough profits to put this right, and had enough time: 100 years to be exact.

I don't experience this problem with other supermarkets: The larger stores are consistent with the range stocked. Even Aldi/Lidl are consistent with their food lines stocked.

Do any other MSE shoppers experience this ?
    • Conina
    • By Conina 28th Apr 19, 2:12 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Conina
    Yes.

Not because of vegan foods (I'm neither vegetarian nor vegan) but even everyday foods which are popular where my family live 150-odd miles away can't be had in my local Tesco's. Now it's a large Tesco like where they live but they have a bigger variety of bread, rolls & cakes and a bigger variety of fresh meat and fish than I do plus lots more irritating niggles too like fruit & veg.

When I've asked before I was told that it depends on what sells and if there's not enough demand we don't get it.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 28th Apr 19, 8:49 PM
    • 22,514 Posts
    • 103,517 Thanks
    michaels
    Tesco announce that in May price promotions will now only be available to those who are willing to share their personal data....
    Cool heads and compromise
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 30th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    • 7,895 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    eddddy
    So it's exactly the same as the normal offers, but you have the scan a clubcard to get them? Wow, how exciting....

It looks like you just got handed a secret document and got overly excited as you thought you can play at being real journalists!
    Originally posted by callum9999
    Tesco's marketing team must be ecstatic about all the free advertising this is getting. For example:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2019/04/tesco-offer-50-discounts-clubcard-holders-amid-100th-birthday/
    www.mirror.co.uk/tesco-clubcard-holders-get-50-14750521
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesco-clubcard-holders-get-50-per-cent-off-in-may-3221177#comment-37542009

I'd strongly suspect that it was Tesco's marketing team that arranged for this to be 'leaked' to MSE... and will be very pleased that it's gone viral.

I suspect there's a lot of 'high-fiving' and self-congratulation going on at Tesco.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 30th Apr 19, 12:11 PM
    • 29,145 Posts
    • 61,923 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I suspect there's a lot of 'high-fiving' and self-congratulation going on at Tesco.
    Originally posted by eddddy
    Only on their marketing! A bit of honesty wouldn't go amiss.

Customers understand when they are being treated like mugs.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 30th Apr 19, 2:31 PM
    • 2,824 Posts
    • 2,109 Thanks
    no1catman
    I was in my local Tesco Extra store this morning, asked about this at CSD - not heard anything, spoke to a T/L there too - no not heard anything - thought it was a scam.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 1st May 19, 6:21 AM
    • 6,949 Posts
    • 19,806 Thanks
    Doc N
    You can be pretty sure of two things:

1 Many, if not all, of the 'reductions' will involve an element of trickery, Tesco-style.

2 Aldi and Lidl prices for essentially the same products will still be lower.
    • Bacman
    • By Bacman 1st May 19, 10:01 AM
    • 105 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Bacman
    Lie to me once, fool is me; lie to me twice, fool is you.

or... Once bitten twice shy.

False price advertising will only backfire on those doing it and of any trying to misled customers. So no, it isn't "brilliant marketing" as if an empty promise is what is on offer people vote with their feet.
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 1st May 19, 5:22 PM
    • 5,288 Posts
    • 6,676 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I can only agree with the previous two posters. 'Fool me once' is exactly how I feel about Tesco, too. I can't imagine what it would take to tempt me back to playing the weekly round of 'OK, so what are they up to this week?
    • Conina
    • By Conina 2nd May 19, 10:53 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Conina
    I can only agree with the previous two posters. 'Fool me once' is exactly how I feel about Tesco, too. I can't imagine what it would take to tempt me back to playing the weekly round of 'OK, so what are they up to this week?
    Originally posted by A. Badger
    Me too.
    On the odd time I do go it's to buy what I can't get at Aldi/Lidl and because I have no vouchers for Sainsburys.
    From using Tesco monthly or more some years ago I now only use Tesco a few times a year and usually only when they too give me an incentive.
    In other words decent money off a spend vouchers, because I do tend to ignore the high spend requirement ones.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,648Posts Today

8,005Users online

Martin's Twitter