Utility Point

newks44
newks44 Posts: 6 Forumite
I would advise anyone to think twice about signing up with this Energy Supplier as their 7 Page Monthly Statements - YES 7 PAGES! - of Account are totally inaccurate. As a retired Accountant I think that I am well qualified to criticise in this respect.

Comments

• PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,151
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why are they inaccurate?

Did you give your readings on your monthly anniversary?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2019 at 6:44PM
    Well my Utility Point electricity statement has zero errors in it. Had 10 monthly statements so far and all without any errors.
    Yes the statement is long but most of the information is just that, information. Large chunks of it are mandated by OFGEM and the bits that have calculations on them are small and error free in my experience.

As a retired accountant then it is remiss of you to not show any working out so others can verify that there really are mistakes.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,933
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I can't help but think that your bill is based on estimated meter readings. If you gave your meters on a regular basis, your bill would be far more accurate.

As for the 7 page bill. Well a PDF doesn't use up much paper, it just takes a new customer slightly longer to look through the bill for the first time - you know where to look on future bills after that.
  • PaschalFun
    PaschalFun Posts: 241 Forumite
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    As a retired accountant then it is remiss of you to not show any working out so others can verify that there really are mistakes.

You don't need to be a retired accountant to know that.

We were tought we had to show our working out in primary school. ;)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,923
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    PaschalFun wrote: »
    We were tought we had to show our working out in primary school. ;)

But obviously not taught how to spell!:)
  • newks44
    newks44 Posts: 6 Forumite
    On 13th February via the Cheap Energy Club I signed up for Utility Point's Just Up 19 Wk7 Direct (Fixed Price) Package for Gas and Electricity.

On February 22nd I received an E-Mail from them stating that in 7 days time they would require my first meter reading. In accordance with that statement I provided meter readings on 1st March,However I was subsequently told that they were not required until March 5th.

Despite repeated requests for a statement I did not receive one until April 12th.The readings quoted as being from March 10th were those actually one from 5th March and provided to my previous supplier Breeze Energy as closing readings.Despite 2 payments having been made on March 10th and April 10th only one was shown indicating that my account was in debit instead of actually ,being in credit.

I went back to Breeze Energy on May 4th.. I submitted readings on 31st May and received a statement yesterday, the day after, on 1st June. What a contrast!

By leaving Utility Point before the end of my contract I have incurred early exit fees of £30 for Gas and £30 for Electricity both subject to 20% VAT. The VAT element was not mentioned in the advertisement for this Company and tariff on the Cheap Energy Club Comparison Website. I have not come across this phenomenon before.
  • bonus2010
    bonus2010 Posts: 231
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 2 June 2019 at 9:42AM
    newks44 wrote: »

By leaving Utility Point before the end of my contract I have incurred early exit fees of £30 for Gas and £30 for Electricity both subject to 20% VAT. The VAT element was not mentioned in the advertisement for this Company and tariff on the Cheap Energy Club Comparison Website. I have not come across this phenomenon before.

I haven't used "Cheap Energy Club" but having used other comparison sites it always states that the rates quoted is including VAT. I'm sure I've even read it somewhere that it is a requirement of OFGEM that comparison sites quote their prices including VAT, although that may just be OFGEM approved comparison sites. Just saying because that's something I'd need to check out further.

Edit:

Just to add, I requested a quote for myself on Utility Point's website and it does clearly state that exit fees are subject to VAT at 20%... so it seems the comparison site could be giving out wrong information if it has not made this clear.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,078
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    No complaints from me. I am with them for my gas supply and everything going well.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,151
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    UP have always stated that their exit fees were subject to 20% VAT. They did when I joined in Jan 18, and from the pic below, they still do.

Capture.PNG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport