Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mistermagoo
    • By Mistermagoo 16th Apr 19, 9:45 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mistermagoo
    Use up capital and then free equity?
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:45 PM
    Use up capital and then free equity? 16th Apr 19 at 9:45 PM
    Hello experts
    I'm in the fortunate position after years of saving to buy my first home. I went to see a place with lots of others and placed a bid.
    A day later the EA rang to say the biddings up by 20k.
    That is really pushing me as would need a large amount of capital on top of a 90% mortgage.
    Doing my figures on it I think it would be worth 50k more than now (due to works needed) in a year's time.
    I'm trying to justify entering the bidding war
    If I spend that capital now, if the property does increase in value by 50k this time next year, can I then potentially get my capital back in the form of equity on another house purchase or other? Bit confused.
Page 1
    • middleclassbutpoor
    • By middleclassbutpoor 16th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    middleclassbutpoor
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:51 PM
    You can't predict what a house will be worth in a years time.

If it's going beyond a comfortable financial point for you in terms of mortgage affordability and having the capital to do the work required, walk away. You won't know what the true cost of improvements/renovations as unforeseen problems can occur etc.

When you find a house - any equity you build, you take to your next house - either to use as a deposit or to use as a deposit and take some out to do improvements etc. Normally it's the former.
    • Mistermagoo
    • By Mistermagoo 16th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mistermagoo
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    So in a way, if the house does increase in value with the work completed, my initial capital plus whatever else in equity, will be available to me once more
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,544Posts Today

7,465Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin