Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dodomoney
    • By dodomoney 16th Apr 19, 9:41 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 5Thanks
    dodomoney
    TSB advert - 3% on a current account
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:41 PM
    TSB advert - 3% on a current account 16th Apr 19 at 9:41 PM
    Hi I've just seen an advert for TSB and Im sure the voiceover lady (sounds like the woman from Boardwalk Empire) said 3% interest on a current account with no monthly fees. I've checked the website and cant find this. Anybody know of this account.

I was watching online so Im thinking maybe it was an Irish TV stream. 3% sounds too high for a current account in England.
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 16th Apr 19, 9:45 PM
    • 8,605 Posts
    • 15,745 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:45 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:45 PM
    Hi I've just seen an advert for TSB and Im sure the voiceover lady (sounds like the woman from Boardwalk Empire) said 3% interest on a current account with no monthly fees. I've checked the website and cant find this. Anybody know of this account.

I was watching online so Im thinking maybe it was an Irish TV stream. 3% sounds too high for a current account in England.
    Originally posted by dodomoney
    What happens when you go to https://www.tsb.co.uk/current-accounts/ ?

For me the very first listed account is
    Classic Plus account
    MOST POPULAR

The TSB Classic Plus account offers 3% AER interest, no maintaining the account fee (monthly) and all the features you’d expect from a current account.
    then when you click on it
    Key features
    5% AER / 4.89% gross variable interest paid on balances up to 1,500 only. Please note the current interest rate is 5.00% AER/4.89 gross variable and will be 3.00% AER/2.96% gross variable from 2 July 2019.
    TSB Visa debit card
    Contactless functionality subject to status
    Optional 35 interest and fee-free overdraft - for short term borrowing, like covering you until pay day. Subject to application, approval and repayable on demand.
    You can apply to open a joint account.
    Recommend us to a friend and when they switch to our Classic or Plus account you’ll both get 75. T&Cs apply. Offer ends 30 June 2019.
    To earn interest (paid monthly), all you need to do is pay in a minimum of 500 a month, register for Internet Banking, Paperless Statements and Paperless Correspondence and log in regularly.
    Last edited by bowlhead99; 16-04-2019 at 9:47 PM.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 16th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    • 13,210 Posts
    • 12,235 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:17 PM
    Not sure if you've been out of the country or living under a rock but current accounts have been paying 3% and more for quite a few years, at least 5 by my reckoning. If anything that's now dropping rather than increasing, TSB was paying 5%
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 17th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    mollycat
    • 17th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    Congratulations on your successful 10 year mission to Mars!! (only kidding).

People are actually slightly disappointed at the (inevitable drop) to 3% from 5%.

Nationwide have been offering 5% on 2.5K (for a years duration on Flexdirect) for some time now, so be warned if you catch that ad also
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 17th Apr 19, 7:42 AM
    • 2,054 Posts
    • 4,830 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 17th Apr 19, 7:42 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 7:42 AM
    3% sounds too high for a current account in England.
    Would it be ok for Wales, Scotland or NI?

3% or more has been common for many current accounts for some years.

At present Tesco current accounts give 3% (dropping soon to 1%), TSB have been offering 3-5% for ages (was 5%, dropped to 3%, went back up to 5% now dropping back to 3%) and you can have 5% with Nationwide's FlexDirect account.

Have you been away?
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 17th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 17th Apr 19, 7:45 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 7:45 AM

Banks have been paying 3% and over for years. Disappointed our tesco accounts reduce in June to 1.5%.

But that's UK/British banks though, don't really know about England, is that a small island of the British coast?
    • glaister
    • By glaister 17th Apr 19, 8:17 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    glaister
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:17 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:17 AM
    Banks have been paying 3% and over for years. Disappointed our tesco accounts reduce in June to 1.5%.

But that's UK/British banks though, don't really know about England, is that a small island of the British coast?
    Originally posted by Hasbeen
    Tesco is going down to 1% unfortunately, not 1.5%
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 17th Apr 19, 11:00 AM
    • 1,388 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 17th Apr 19, 11:00 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 11:00 AM
    Tesco is going down to 1% unfortunately, not 1.5%
    Originally posted by glaister
    Sorry my mistake problem then is finding home for 5 accounts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin