Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 16th Apr 19, 8:38 PM
    • 949Posts
    • 5,033Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Purchasing a motor home and Ebay
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:38 PM
    Purchasing a motor home and Ebay 16th Apr 19 at 8:38 PM
    Hello.

I think this is a scam. I have been using ebay for years, buying and selling - including vehicles. However, this is the first time I have seen this . I am avoiding giving my details and now have received this. Does anyone think this is legitimate?

Thanks

The motorhome is already at the shipping company. All documents are on my name. The shipping is free because i supposed to ship the motorhome to another buyer, then he told me that he don't have money to pay for it. He already paid the shipping charges.
    I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job ( I'm a surgeon ) so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my motorhome over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the motorhome to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
    Here is how it will work:
    1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
    -Full name, shipping address and phone no.
    2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
    3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more information about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the shipping process and the arrival time.
    4. eBay will start the shipping process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the motorhome. After you receive the motorhome you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the motorhome.
    5. If you decide not to buy the motorhome, then eBay will ship the motorhome back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

15 February 2019 - Mortgage debt - 78,400
    23 April 2019 - Mortgage debt - 85,000
Page 1
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 16th Apr 19, 8:41 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:41 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:41 PM
    Of course its a scam!!
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 0/500
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    • 6,314 Posts
    • 8,265 Thanks
    waamo
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:43 PM
    Hello.

I think this is a scam. I have been using ebay for years, buying and selling - including vehicles. However, this is the first time I have seen this . I am avoiding giving my details and now have received this. Does anyone think this is legitimate?

Thanks

The motorhome is already at the shipping company. All documents are on my name. The shipping is free because i supposed to ship the motorhome to another buyer, then he told me that he don't have money to pay for it. He already paid the shipping charges.
    I have a contract with eBay so this deal must go through them. I'm very busy with my job ( I'm a surgeon ) so I can't meet in person with you so this is the reason why I chose to sell my motorhome over the Internet. According with the eBay you have 3 days from the time you receive the motorhome to inspect it and decide if you want to keep it or not.
    Here is how it will work:
    1. First of all I will need the following details from you:
    -Full name, shipping address and phone no.
    2. After I will receive the details from you, I will forward them to eBay.
    3. After they will process your info, they will send us both more information about how we can complete this transaction. They will contact you regarding the shipping process and the arrival time.
    4. eBay will start the shipping process and it will take up to 48 hours for you to receive the motorhome. After you receive the motorhome you will have 3 days to test, verify and do whatever you need to the motorhome.
    5. If you decide not to buy the motorhome, then eBay will ship the motorhome back to me (and you won't be charged for this). If you wish to make the transaction, please send me the necessary info so that we can proceed. I look forward to hear from you.
    Originally posted by Tahlullah
    You need to ask?
    This space for hire.
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 5,033 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:46 PM
    Just getting a second opinion. If I didn't already know this, I would have given my bank details and inside leg measurement by now..

I will carry on the conversation to see where it goes.
    Still striving to be mortgage free before I get to a point I can't enjoy it.

15 February 2019 - Mortgage debt - 78,400
    23 April 2019 - Mortgage debt - 85,000
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 61,890 Posts
    • 44,360 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    Just getting a second opinion. If I didn't already know this, I would have given my bank details and inside leg measurement by now..

I will carry on the conversation to see where it goes.
    You say you have been using eBay for years and selling cars- yet needed a second opinion on this, I am rather surprised. Even an eBay novice should realise that eBay is just a third party hosting site, they don't facilitate sales or involve themselves with any form of payment holding.

This form of common scam predates even eBay, it used to be done via small ads or via gumtree and I'm always surprised to see scumbag scammers still trying it. It's always worth highlighting these scams here and on other boards if only to warn and protect other newbies to eBay.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • macman
    • By macman 17th Apr 19, 1:20 AM
    • 43,248 Posts
    • 18,421 Thanks
    macman
    • 17th Apr 19, 1:20 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 1:20 AM
    'I am a surgeon'...did you need to read any further?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 17th Apr 19, 6:34 AM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 2,353 Thanks
    Richard53
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:34 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:34 AM
    There is poor English and there is non-native English. Plenty of people are second-language English speakers and are perfectly honest, but in an eBay listing it is definitely a sign to be extra cautious. Most of these scams originate a long way from the UK.

The shipping is free because i supposed to ship the motorhome to another buyer
    According with the eBay
    After I will receive the details from you
    After they will process your info
    I look forward to hear from you.

The writer's first language is one that forms the future tense very differently from English.

Just an observation.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 17th Apr 19, 8:06 AM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 2,328 Thanks
    mollycat
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:06 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:06 AM
    'I am a surgeon'...did you need to read any further?
    Originally posted by macman
    TBF I wouldn't even have got that far if i hadn't just been reading it for a laugh

The first 8 words were enough for me!

Sad that people are taking in by this sort of thing. (Didn't mean OP).
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 17th Apr 19, 10:56 AM
    • 5,587 Posts
    • 18,452 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:56 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:56 AM
    I'd cut off all contact with them ASAP.
    Some of these scammers are very nasty people.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th Apr 19, 1:59 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5939981

Enough said, really...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

137Posts Today

987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin