Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Candice-Marie
    • By Candice-Marie 16th Apr 19, 8:31 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Candice-Marie
    Transfer private pension in to LGPS - no brainer?
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:31 PM
    Transfer private pension in to LGPS - no brainer? 16th Apr 19 at 8:31 PM
    I'm hoping someone can help with a sanity check relating to transferring my pension into the LGPS.

I joined the LGPS in January this year when I started a new job. I have until the end of the year to transfer from my old Aviva scheme if I want to.

I've been quoted a transfer value of 250,000 (round numbers) and LGPS have estimated benefits of additional earned annual pension of 20,500, and additional spouse's annual pension 6,000.

I haven't made payments to my private pension since Jan 2018. Looking at annuity rates, but sadly being unable to predict the future, I think it's not wildly optimistic to think I might get 15,000 a year, but who knows?

For the sake of comparison, I'm ignoring the effects of taking a lump sum, but it seems to me to be fairly obvious that transferring to the LGPS is the thing to do, as it provides a degree of certainty (important to me - I am broadly risk-averse), whereas my paid up pension pot could plummet (or soar!) but that is largely beyond my control.

I'm 49 now, each year of employment is worth about 1,100 pension, I'd like to stay in this job until I retire. I'm in good health, non-smoker, I don't have any gaps in NICs so should get full state pension in 2036. My husband has a SIPP which looks like it will provide a decent income.

What am I missing? What else should I consider? Is this decision as obvious as it seems?

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you can share
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 16th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    • 97,994 Posts
    • 66,155 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:42 PM
    Are you planning to retire at LGPS scheme age or earlier?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Candice-Marie
    • By Candice-Marie 16th Apr 19, 8:56 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Candice-Marie
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:56 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:56 PM
    To be perfectly honest, there is no plan. I should give that more careful thought! If I retired at 60 that would be the same time as my husband and we will be mortgage-free by then. But 10 years time from now is nothing and I can't imagine not working, so perhaps 65 is more likely - a couple of years early.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 8,937 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    That might be ar argument for keeping them separate- use the normal pension to stem the gap to avoid a reduction for taking LGPS early
    • snowqueen555
    • By snowqueen555 16th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    snowqueen555
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    I have recently transferred in a small pot into the LGPS.

I agree with the above, an argument can be made to keep it separate. The LGPS is very generous if you live long enough to reap it's benefits. If you don't live long enough you don't realise the full value of the pension, which is why transferring in 250k is a really big decision compared to a much smaller pot which is what I had.

The pot has the advantage of being more flexible, If you invest that for another 10 years it would grow quit a fair bit.

Having the LGPS with 10 years service, a state pension, and your pot sounds like a great situation to be in.

I'm wondering if you are able to transfer a portion of it?
    Last edited by snowqueen555; 16-04-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Apr 19, 8:08 AM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 15,937 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:08 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:08 AM

What am I missing? What else should I consider? Is this decision as obvious as it seems?
    Originally posted by Candice-Marie
    I dont think its obvious at all and I think you are missing that theres a large reduction if you retire early and that your separate pension gives you (as said by others) the ability to retire earlier, live off that for a while burning it down faster than you otherwise might and then take the full LGPS without any reduction.
    I know you wrote that you cant see yourself retiring at 60 and 65 seems more likely but isn't the LGPS retirement age going to be 67 or 68? And if health or other issues arise, or even say stress at work, you may wish or need to retire earlier. Or perhaps you might wish to go part time and top up your income from the Aviva pension.
    So, I think in summary what you are missing is flexibility and options.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin