Seller not concluding missives in Scotland

CathyMB
CathyMB Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 16 April 2019 at 9:54PM in Mortgages & endowments
Hi there,
Thanks for your helpful site. I'm a first-time cash buyer buying a flat in Edinburgh after living in rental accommodation, and had an offered accepted on a flat about 6 weeks ago. My solicitor sent the last missive from my side 3 weeks ago. The seller (who is buying another house to move into) has not yet authorised the concluding missive yet has transferred the balance for her purchase to her solicitor. She has not responded to her solicitors emails to conclude with me yet transferred the money. My solicitor has shown me emails from her solicitor apologising and reassuring that he re-emailed her. My rental lease ends in 2 weeks and i'm moving in with a friend for 10 days til the supposed data of entry. Help - what is going on? Both solicitors have apologised, and my solicitor says her's is a good firm and he has a good relationship with them. Tearing my hair as I can't arrange removals (my furniture is in storage at parents home), delivery of new beds, and have no accommodation arranged beyond the date of entry in 3.5 weeks. All advice received gratefully. Many thanks.
Cathy MB

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    CathyMB wrote: »
    My solicitor sent the concluding missive 3 weeks ago. The seller (who is buying another house to move into) has not yet authorised the concluding missive

If your solicitor had sent a concluding missive then you'd have concluded missives - there's only one concluding missive. But I am guessing that missives still aren't concluded and you are waiting for the seller.

Not sure what further advice we can give, it sounds like the solicitors are doing what they can. At a guess there's something holding up her purchase and she wants to conclude both at the same time.
    My rental lease ends in 2 weeks
    Bear in mind that you don't need to move out unless and until the landlord evicts you - which could take ages.
  • CathyMB
    Thanks v much for this. Unfortunately my current landlords are friends who are dealing with buckets of personal issues and need space, so I don't want to go down the eviction route. It wouldn't be fair, but don't wanna be left scrabbling for urgent rentals....wouldn't her solicitor know if there was something holding up her purchase as he's acting for her in it (i.e. selling her property and helping her buy the new one)...
  • davidmcn
    Forumite
    wouldn't her solicitor know if there was something holding up her purchase as he's acting for her in it
    Yes, probably. And he is meant to disclose to your solicitor what the reason for any delay is. But it could be she has her own reasons, or is just being dozy. Did she sell via a separate estate agent? If so, maybe they can have a word.

But if the date of entry is still 3.5 weeks away, there's plenty of time for everything to happen.
  • CathyMB
    I don't know if she's buying from a different estate agent, I guess so. Thanks will ask my solicitor to ask her's to query with the estate agent....just terrified this will fall through and would rather know in advance so I'm not left sleeping in a dog kennel or wheelie bin.
  • davidmcn
    Forumite
    I don't know if she's buying from a different estate agent, I guess so. Thanks will ask my solicitor to ask her's to query with the estate agent...
    No, I meant if you had bought her property via an estate agent you could speak to them - they might get a more straightforward answer out of her than going via the solicitors.
  • CathyMB
    Ah I see, no via a solicitor/estate agent in one. Will make a temporary accommodation booking at the local Cats and Dogs home. ;-)
  • CathyMB
    The seller has finally concluded the missives. Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure