Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markfaulkner
    • By markfaulkner 16th Apr 19, 8:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    markfaulkner
    Old company pension
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:11 PM
    Old company pension 16th Apr 19 at 8:11 PM
    I joined a company in 1994 when I was 24 years old. The company had a final salary pension scheme which did not start until I was 30. I was still with the company at aged 30, and when I was 33 they ended the final salary scheme and it became a DC theme. I then left the company in 2005 aged 35. As the auto enrolment rules have now changed, am I able to get my former employer to include the 6 years from 1994 to 2000 to be in line with the current rules ?
Page 1
    • Pension Geek
    • By Pension Geek 16th Apr 19, 8:15 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Pension Geek
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:15 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:15 PM
    You mean retrospectively apply auto enrolment rules and have the employer pay DC contributions for service 20 odd years ago?
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
    • Skibunny40
    • By Skibunny40 16th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Skibunny40
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:35 PM
    No, but nice try!
    • JoeCrystal
    • By JoeCrystal 17th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    JoeCrystal
    • 17th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    I joined a company in 1994 when I was 24 years old. The company had a final salary pension scheme which did not start until I was 30. I was still with the company at aged 30, and when I was 33 they ended the final salary scheme and it became a DC theme. I then left the company in 2005 aged 35. As the auto enrolment rules have now changed, am I able to get my former employer to include the 6 years from 1994 to 2000 to be in line with the current rules ?
    Originally posted by markfaulkner
    What a brilliant idea. To be fair, you should make your pension provision if you were unable to access the final salary pension scheme at the time. At least you still have the DB pension and the DC pension scheme you have to draw on when you retire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin