Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Velvet99
    • By Velvet99 16th Apr 19, 6:53 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Velvet99
    Student Accomodation - Outstanding Balance
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:53 PM
    Student Accomodation - Outstanding Balance 16th Apr 19 at 6:53 PM
    My student accommodation is £8517 a year, paid in 4 instalments. The final payment of £1837 was due on 15/4/19, however I was unable to make the full payment and there is still £1043 outstanding. The tenancy ends in September.

I have previously made partial payments, however in this case they have now sent me a letter stating that I must pay the full outstanding balance by 22/4/19 or they will add interest (above 4% of base rate of Lloyd’s Bank) and forward the file to solicitors and start court proceedings.

I am on a DMP and my guarantor is not in a position to pay, having recently been issued a CCJ. I have spent all of my wages on the rent and can pay no more, I also cannot ask friends for further help as they have already lent me money for the January instalment which I have not been able to pay back yet. What would you recommend that I do?

I am happy to do a payment plan, however I am unsure what to offer. I have made a token payment on my DMP for this month and advised that I may also have to do the same next month. I cannot cut back further on anything unfortunately. I could probably offer them £700 next payday which is unfortunately 3 weeks away.

Please note that I understand that this student accommodation is expensive, and I will be seeking somewhere much cheaper for the next student year, however my circumstances have drastically changed since I entered the contract. I am only seeking advice on what to say to the accommodation provider in hopes that they will accept a payment plan.
Page 1
    • Housebuy12345
    • By Housebuy12345 16th Apr 19, 8:32 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Housebuy12345
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:32 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 8:32 PM
    You need to negotiate a payment plan. The more you ignore them the worse it becomes.

£700 is more than adequate, as long as you pay.

What’s the company?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,508Posts Today

7,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin