Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dj03943
    • By dj03943 16th Apr 19, 6:50 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    dj03943
    Tenants left with no notice and with unpaid rent
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:50 PM
    Tenants left with no notice and with unpaid rent 16th Apr 19 at 6:50 PM
    Hi

I am looking for some advice please before I send a letter before action to an ex-tenant...

I had a tenant who recently moved out of my property but just left with no notice. They sent a text on 11th March saying they had handed the keys in to the agent. They were on an assured shorthold tenancy with a term of six months, with rent paid on the 3rd of each month. At the end of the six month fixed term, the tenancy lapsed into a statutory periodic AST, which would have run indefinitely until either party gave notice.

They had not paid in advance for the one month period of 3rd March - 2nd April, as required by the agreement. I intend to pursue this unpaid rent via the small claims court unless they respond to my letter before action.

Am I also right in thinking that they should have provided at least one months' notice, and that I am able to also claim rent for the following month as well i.e. from 3rd April - 2nd May, as they did not provide notice and I will now suffer from loss of income for that month as well. My claim would therefore be for two months' rent. The tenant did not provide a forwarding address, but I do know the address of their workplace (they are a business owner) - is it acceptable to send a letter before action to that address in lieu of any other details?

Note; their deposit is going to be required to pay for cleaning and repairs as the property was not left in a good state, therefore I cannot necessarily use the deposit for unpaid rent.

Any advice or suggestions very welcome. Many thanks
    Last edited by dj03943; 16-04-2019 at 6:53 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin