Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Noseynorfolk
    • By Noseynorfolk 16th Apr 19, 5:15 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Noseynorfolk
    Living with in laws
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:15 PM
    Living with in laws 16th Apr 19 at 5:15 PM
    We moved in with wifeís parents 6 months ago. When moving in I gave them £4o,ooo as a payment for what they called a payment off their house. Also included in the deal was I paid all the bills. Everything. For the payment and paying all the bills I would not pay any rent. To cut a long story short it is a nightmare. It is like if I donít do what they want or the way they want it or say something they donít like the comments coming back are about moving out. Slightest thing and itís like you donít like it you got 2 months to move out. The upshot is I have nothing in writing from them about paying the money and bills to live rent free. We have 2 young children and basically we are broke. The £40,000 was our life saving and paying all the bills means we donít have much left over to save. We could not afford a deposit on somewhere else if we had to get out. It is like we must comply and be slaves basically or be homeless. If it wasnít for the children the homeless option would suit me as I just had enough. Do we have any rights at all to say enough is enough this cannot go on.
Page 1
    • cjv
    • By cjv 16th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    cjv
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:27 PM
    You made a big mistake doing what you did, move out and rent a place. If your in laws have asked you to leave go to the council for assistance.

Your money is probably a write off and an expensive lesson.
    • JGB1955
    • By JGB1955 16th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    JGB1955
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    Why on earth did you think this was a good idea??????
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Apr 19, 5:29 PM
    • 38,884 Posts
    • 162,332 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:29 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:29 PM
    Until you stand up to them, they will continue.

Tell them you are happy to move out when they return your money.
    • babyblade41
    • By babyblade41 16th Apr 19, 5:42 PM
    • 592 Posts
    • 648 Thanks
    babyblade41
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:42 PM
    Why?? can you not say you lost all mental capacity ??
    • Winter Phoenix
    • By Winter Phoenix 16th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 263 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    Winter Phoenix
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    You're in an extremely difficult situation, and you have my sympathy.

I suggest that you find out what it would cost to rent similar (shared with another family) accommodation for six months ... I have no idea what this would be in Norfolk, but for the sake of argument let's say £6,000.

Then tell your in-laws that you will be happy to leave when they return the balance of your pre-paid rent, i.e. £34,000.

If they refuse, find a solicitor who will give you half-an-hour's free advice on how to get your money back. Be clear at all times, including with the solicitor, that the money paid was 'rent in advance' so that you could live there without paying monthly or weekly rent. The fact that the contract with your in-laws was verbal rather than written does not invalidate it.

Good luck.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
    • Not Radio2
    • By Not Radio2 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Not Radio2
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    How did you hand over the £40K? Surely not in cash?
    Are the in-laws claiming means tested benefits? If so, consider reporting them.
    You're already screwed by the sounds of it, but you don't have to take any more laying down.
    • Rosieandjim
    • By Rosieandjim 16th Apr 19, 6:30 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Rosieandjim
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:30 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:30 PM

I would not hand over 40 pound to my inlaws. Did you really hand this amount over without any legal advice or document in place. Why???
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    mangog
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:49 PM
    Not judging, just trying to understand - what was the original advantage of this plan? Why not use that £40k for a deposit on your own place? That would go a long way in Norfolk, or you could have used it to rent if getting a mortgage was an issue. Was there something else that made this seem a more attractive prospect at the time?
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 16th Apr 19, 7:25 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 4,499 Thanks
    Marvel1
    My head is screwed, you give them £40K to live in their home with them and pay all the bills and they claim it will be rent free!

To break it down, 40K over a year is roughly £3,333 a month, where I live that is

In my street you can put down £40K deposit and get a mortgage for £20K.
    Last edited by Marvel1; 16-04-2019 at 7:30 PM.
    • Annisele
    • By Annisele 16th Apr 19, 8:27 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 4,492 Thanks
    Annisele
    To break it down, 40K over a year is roughly £3,333 a month, where I live that is
    Originally posted by Marvel1

For a year that is indeed crackers. But if the deal was actually £40k in return for having somewhere to stay for life, that might have been a sweet deal - if it had been in writing, and if the inlaws weren't nightmares to deal with.

For £40k (or indeed £40k less a fair payment for six months of rent) I'd also be trying to see a solicitor to see if there was anything I could do to recover my money.
    • Debbie1980
    • By Debbie1980 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Debbie1980
    What was the £40k actually for? How long did you intend to live there? What does your other half think of the situation?
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 16th Apr 19, 10:11 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    School holiday post!
    • macman
    • By macman 16th Apr 19, 11:56 PM
    • 43,258 Posts
    • 18,428 Thanks
    macman
    Where is the £40K now? If they have used it to pay off their mortgage, then they're not going to be able to pay it back.
    The other problem here is that you do not have a legal tenancy, since they live in the same property, whether you pay rent or not. So they don't have to give you 2 months notice, or even 2 days: they can ask you to leave at any time.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,635Posts Today

7,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin