Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thegrouch314
    • By thegrouch314 16th Apr 19, 4:14 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 3Thanks
    thegrouch314
    POPLA Denied - What Now?`
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:14 PM
    POPLA Denied - What Now?` 16th Apr 19 at 4:14 PM
    In short, I had parked in a disabled bay in a car park that requires a permit. My permit which allows me to park in a disabled bay in that car park had fallen out of the windscreen and landed on the floor. I got a ticket from the company, not sure which one, which I appealed and was denied. I took it to POPLA and was denied on the grounds that I had managed to forget to include a copy of my permit. That was my fault, I'll admit.

Is there anything else I can do? I know all of the advice says to just ignore to bills but I don't want to be taken to small claims court. I'm a student, I really can't afford it.
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 16th Apr 19, 4:19 PM
    • 6,320 Posts
    • 8,271 Thanks
    waamo
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:19 PM
    Which ppc is this?

You can try to get the landowner to cancel it. Other than that it's a case of waiting to see if you get an LBC.
    This space for hire.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Apr 19, 4:27 PM
    • 70,391 Posts
    • 82,979 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:27 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:27 PM
    Send an email to the landowner and the PPC, with a copy of your Blue Badge, and tell them to continue to harass you for your right to use a disabled bay is discriminatory and that the PPC 'knew or should have known' about your 'protected characteristics' under the Equality Act 2010, as soon as they saw your first appeal and should have cancelled.

Cancellation of the charge at that stage would have met the lawful and mandatory requirements for a Service Provider to make a 'reasonable adjustment' but now the parking firm and the landowner are jointly and severally liable for discrimination and knowingly harassing and demanding money from a person that they know had a right to use the concessionary bay without charge.

There is an EHRC template here somewhere - search the forum for EHRC complaint.

Also search the forum for POPLA lost and see all the other people in your shoes.

Some parking firms never sue. So check which PPC please?
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-04-2019 at 4:39 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • thegrouch314
    • By thegrouch314 16th Apr 19, 6:26 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    thegrouch314
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:26 PM
    The fine came from Civil Enforcement Ltd

I will contact the landowner though, and see if they can do anything about it.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 17th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    • 12,660 Posts
    • 12,887 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    I got a ticket from the company, not sure which one, … I took it to POPLA and was denied on the grounds that I had managed to forget to include a copy of my permit.

You need to raise your game or this could become costly.

It is not a fine, it is an invoice for the damage they allege you caused them when you allegedly breached an alleged contract. They would struggle to prove this in court.

Service providers are required by law, (The Equalities Act 2010) tp make "reasonable adjustments" for people with "protected characteristics" under the Act. They appear not to have done so.

Complain to your MP, they are more than familiar with these scams.

On 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these private parking companies. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, and persistent offenders denied access. Hopefully life will become impossible for the worst of these scammers.

Until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.
    mthe
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Apr 19, 1:09 AM
    • 70,391 Posts
    • 82,979 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Apr 19, 1:09 AM
    • 19th Apr 19, 1:09 AM
    The fine came from Civil Enforcement Ltd

I will contact the landowner though, and see if they can do anything about it.
    Originally posted by thegrouch314
    Yes, by sending them a version of the EHRC disability complaint, not a simple letter or phone call.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,635Posts Today

7,532Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin