Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jackw0119
    • By jackw0119 16th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jackw0119
    Does Online Retailer Have to Collect Faulty Furniture
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    Does Online Retailer Have to Collect Faulty Furniture 16th Apr 19 at 4:05 PM
    Hi everyone

I recently bought a TV cabinet online from Wayfair. When we tried to assemble it we found it was faulty (the pieces were the wrong size and wouldn't fit together). We phoned them and (after some persuasion) got them to send us a replacement free of charge, which has arrived. However, we also asked if they would collect the faulty one and they said they wouldn't. I've just sent another email explaining that we don't have a car and there is not anywhere to dispose of furniture nearby and again asked that they either arrange for it to be collected or reimburse the cost of disposing of it.

If they say no again, do I have any rights here? It seems unfair that Wayfair can just send us a faulty piece of furniture and then just leave it with us. It'll cost us money to dispose of when it is their fault for sending us something faulty to begin with. I know that most online delivery companies won't even give you a replacement unless they can also pick up your failty item. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 12,843 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    Surely it's not that big when dissembled? Just put it out with your bins.
    • jackw0119
    • By jackw0119 16th Apr 19, 4:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jackw0119
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:56 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:56 PM
    That's not the point, especially given the time it took to out up, the time it'll take to put up the new one and the time it'd take to disassemble it. Assembled it's big enough that the bin men won't take it.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 16th Apr 19, 5:03 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 1,724 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:03 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:03 PM
    Have a good bonfire
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 16th Apr 19, 5:19 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 11,350 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:19 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:19 PM
    That's not the point, especially given the time it took to out up, the time it'll take to put up the new one and the time it'd take to disassemble it. Assembled it's big enough that the bin men won't take it.
    Originally posted by jackw0119
    Don't bother disassembling it then. Take it outside and jump up and down on it until the pieces are small enough to dispose of - it'll be a fun way of getting rid of your pent up frustration too.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 16th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    • 16,363 Posts
    • 22,567 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    Post it on your local free cycle Facebook group for collection only.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    • 14,345 Posts
    • 16,326 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:57 PM
    Just stand it out in the street. It will disappear in no time.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 17,139 Posts
    • 13,324 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    Put it into your bin " one piece at a time"
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Apr 19, 7:58 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:58 PM
    You appear to have a choice if they won't collect it. Begrudgingly take it apart and dispose of it gradually or stick to your guns, keep hassling them and keep the cabinet assembled and stored under your feet whilst you dispute it with them.

Which is the path of least resistance?
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 19, 8:00 PM
    • 12,843 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Originally posted by jackw0119
    Your whole argument is that it's faulty and couldn't be assembled anyway.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    • 22,411 Posts
    • 18,428 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Have they actually said that they don't want it back? Because if they do want it you'll have to work out with them how to return it. But if they don't want it then as suggested leave it out and see what happens, maybe put a note on it to say that it's free.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Apr 19, 8:06 PM
    • 3,491 Posts
    • 4,713 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Your whole argument is that it's faulty and couldn't be assembled anyway.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Quite! Spot on.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,211Posts Today

7,118Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin