Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xJSLL
    • By xJSLL 16th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    xJSLL
    Not many viewings on my flat which is for sale
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    Not many viewings on my flat which is for sale 16th Apr 19 at 3:24 PM
    Hi All

I put my 2 bedroom flat up for sale 3 weeks ago. I'm looking to up size and had been thinking about putting up my flat for sale for a few months.
    My flat is one in a purpose built block of 12, with an identical block of 12 flats also next door.
    I decided to take the plunge after seeing two flats in the next door block sell for a good price, and one sold last month within 4 days.
    One sold for 115,600 in September last year, the other for 116,000 just last month (I know this as I know the owners of this flat). Both buildings are identical in appearance/size.
    My flat is identical in terms of amounts of space/layout/number of rooms etc as the two that have sold. Mine is also on the top floor like the one that sold last month. They are of course decorated differently and have been customised with different kitchen/tiling/floor choices.
    I have only had 3 viewing requests in 3 weeks, I initially had an offer from a first time buyer who then retracted their offer but unfortunately didn't give a reason for this.
    I have never sold a property before and wondered whether 3 viewings in 3 weeks is generally a good amount? I would have thought not.
    I'm wondering why I'm not having as much luck as the other 2 that sold, especially the one last month that sold very quickly. The flat that sold last month had a lot of viewing requests, especially in the first week. I would say my flat is of a high decorative standard, has all integrated appliances, and has a few additional benefits like extra TV points in the bedrooms, spotlighting in some areas and new flooring.
    I have put a price on it of 116,750 (with the intention of being able to accept a slightly lower offer), and the previous offer I had was for 116,000.

I'm wondering if it's anything to do with the agent I'm using as they are not high street agents, or if it is priced wrong, or if the style of decoration is putting potential buyers off.
    Or perhaps I'm being too impatient, even though one of the other flats sold very quickly, perhaps I'm expecting too much.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I can't post the link however it's on rightmove and the end part is : property-for-sale/property-80879540.html
    Last edited by xJSLL; 16-04-2019 at 4:11 PM.
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 16th Apr 19, 3:36 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:36 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:36 PM
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-80879540.html

no external picture....
    Last edited by need an answer; 16-04-2019 at 3:39 PM.
    in S 17 T 5 F 13
    out S 19 T 8 F 19
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • xJSLL
    • By xJSLL 16th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xJSLL
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:39 PM
    Thanks for posting the link.
    I will get an external picture added to the listing, thanks
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th Apr 19, 3:43 PM
    • 6,836 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:43 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:43 PM
    Looks pleasant enough to me although I would be worried about the lack of natural light - were the pictures taken at night ?

There's likely to be a limited market of people looking for similar properties, so it could simply be that you were beaten to them by the other ones in the block who got their properties on the market earlier
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 16th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    I don't know the area at all but there's nothing on that listing that immediately puts me off.

There is no information on the length of the lease, or the amounts of any leasehold charges that I could see - a potential buyer could be concerned there is something to hide on that front?
    • chunkytfg
    • By chunkytfg 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 640 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    chunkytfg
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    Perhaps been identical to the other flats the people who viewed those ones know to not bother looking at yours as it's nothing they haven't seen before.

As for your flat itself it looks nice. very neutral decorated and a simple layout. Patience!
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 0/500
    • xJSLL
    • By xJSLL 16th Apr 19, 3:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    xJSLL
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:59 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:59 PM
    Thanks all. Unfortunately the pictures were taken at night as that's when the photographer visited, I will see if I can get some taken during daylight and added to the listing as well. It has plenty of natural light so perhaps I should be showcasing that.
    The main queries I have had have all been from first time buyers which I think is likely to be my market given the size and price of the property for the area, I was a first time buyer myself when I purchased the flat.
    I will get the lease length information added & monthly costs as well, it still has nearly 123 years remaining and the costs are reasonable given the size of the building and grounds to be maintained.
    • Contessa
    • By Contessa 16th Apr 19, 7:45 PM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 1,502 Thanks
    Contessa
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:45 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:45 PM
    Your flat is on the top floor but the listing doesn't say how it is accessed-stairs or lift?

This information might be helpful.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 16th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 8,262 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    It looks great to me, I can't see any downsides apart from the few relevant comments from others on the thread who know more than I do about marketing a property.

Just one thing strikes me, a double might fit in the single room if bed was placed parallel to the radiator. That's the only thing though!

Wish you the best of luck.
    • Housebuy12345
    • By Housebuy12345 16th Apr 19, 8:30 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Housebuy12345
    Why is it at 116.... why not 115?
    • markin
    • By markin 16th Apr 19, 8:31 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    markin
    The 3 cctv ipcams stand out as odd to me, The sink and bath taps are not mixer taps, looks old fashiond to me.

The price is over the top when they all seem to have sold new only months to a year ago at 89k or 99k

Flat 4, 25, Swan Crescent, Newport NP19 4BP

115,600 Flat, Leasehold, Residential 20 Sep 2018
    85,000 Flat, Leasehold, Residential (New Build) 24 Feb 2017

The must have been some people who missed out on getting them from new, so higher demand level?
    Last edited by markin; 16-04-2019 at 8:36 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 18th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 7,699 Posts
    • 2,800 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The 3 cctv ipcams stand out as odd to me, The sink and bath taps are not mixer taps, looks old fashiond to me.

The price is over the top when they all seem to have sold new only months to a year ago at 89k or 99k

Flat 4, 25, Swan Crescent, Newport NP19 4BP

115,600 Flat, Leasehold, Residential 20 Sep 2018
    85,000 Flat, Leasehold, Residential (New Build) 24 Feb 2017

The must have been some people who missed out on getting them from new, so higher demand level?
    Originally posted by markin
    In that case, in the present economic/political environment a buyer should be looking at a discount on those prices IMO.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 18th Apr 19, 1:22 PM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 6,383 Thanks
    kinger101
    It was bonkers to put it on for 116,750. You should always list at a figure that matches the bands according to Rightmove. People usually sort by price, so now you appear low down on those searching for 120K properties.

So you should have picked 120K, 115K or 110K.

The main problem for me is I could a two bed house in the same postcode for that price. And then not have to spend another 97 a month on service charge.

108K would get me a flat with a separate kitchen at least.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69049996.html

Boasting about a Hive heating system is a bit over the top. They're useful, but their cost is trivial.

Some people don't like t'internet agents, but I doubt that's a problem, given your target market.

It's still early days yet. I'd give it another few weeks, then drop the price to 110K.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 18th Apr 19, 2:44 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    need an answer
    It does seem to be a very nice flat,the pictures are good and on the face of it, looks a good buy.

I used to know Newport a little many years ago and I think it must have undergone some radical changes since I last visited.I can see your flat appealing to the young professionals which is good but its not going to attract the young families as for a similar price I guess they would always opt for one of Newports traditional terraces,space winning every time.

Its strange really,place that flat a few miles down the road in Cardiff and you'll sell for more,place it over the bridge in Bristol and you could be looking at 50k more.

It must be down to competition.what new builds are going up around the area and are they being sold?

One thing that is slightly puzzling in the listing is the offer to sell the furniture with it as part of the deal...that might make me think why are you selling and selling it as a potential job lot?

I might be tempted to ditch the furniture offer on the details and bring it up only if a viewer looks like they may be keen on that element too.

Realistically you might need to be looking at a figure around 110k to get the sale quickly or hold out a little and wait for the warmer weather,which always seems to help.
    in S 17 T 5 F 13
    out S 19 T 8 F 19
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 18th Apr 19, 2:56 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    Open plan kitchen/living space isn't ideal.
    There isn't that much storage (never is in 2 bed flats).

Can you get the details about the lease/service charges put at the top? A cost conscious FTB will really want to know that. Service charge, ground rent, insurance etc. 97 a month sounds cheap, mine is closer to 140 all in, but then I'm in London!

Maybe lose the dining table/chairs? Table for two suggests not enough room to fit a decent table.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 18th Apr 19, 3:11 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 71,470 Thanks
    D_M_E
    The door in pic 7 looks as if it's narrow - is it a cupboard? Would remove this pic.

Hive - would remove mention of this, just leave it as gas central heating or GCH.

Pics look a bit soulless, have them redone in daylight and see what difference this makes.
    • Lioness Twinkletoes
    • By Lioness Twinkletoes 18th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 5,309 Thanks
    Lioness Twinkletoes
    Granted, I don't know the area but it looks like there are decent looking two bed houses for offers over 110k https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-75905633.html or a flat with river views for 112k https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81015305.html

Lower the price to under 115k band and be patient.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 18th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    • 9,353 Posts
    • 11,213 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    The floorplan is wrong. You have 3 windows in the lounge, not one. Remove the bins as I don't want the kitchen bins in my lounge.

Why is the external photo portrait? What isn't being shown? Is it possible to see the actual flat?

Just looked at streetview and seen you're on a busy main road, opposite a builder's merchant (that'll open early every morning...) and there's probably the rest of a large development going to happen to the side, so more noise and disruption there for the next year - and probably the opportunity to get a new build with some nice incentives.

Internal photos must be done in daylight and preferably to show something of a view, or at least not a brick wall or the neighbour's lounge window.

2 bedrooms - people will expect to see a table that can seat 4. If you can show the second bedroom as a double or twin, do so.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • dont_use_vistaprint
    • By dont_use_vistaprint 18th Apr 19, 5:58 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    dont_use_vistaprint
    Did you take the pictures yourself , no offence but they are awful.

Bad framing, bad light, and you have far too much "stuff" in the photos, you need to minimise the stuff and make the style neutral, so the viewer can imagine their own stuff and style, you are selling an empty box not a lifestyle.

The outside pic is pretty bad too, dont even know what it is a picture of.

I would just hit the back button on this , its scary.

Do the pictures properly or get a pro and you will get the viewings. Do it very quickly, after the first few weeks no one will view it, they will click on it and think already seen & dismissed this one, so if you dont sell in the first month or so you are solely reliant on new buyers on the site and it can take a long time. That said you only need one :-)
    Last edited by dont_use_vistaprint; 18-04-2019 at 6:02 PM.
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 18th Apr 19, 6:06 PM
    • 7,878 Posts
    • 53,198 Thanks
    kerri gt
    What made you go with a different agent to the ones who sold the two flats in your block recently? If you'd have gone with them they may have had the details still of those who viewed the others (esp the one that sold more recently) with sales leads to call saying 'that flat you missed out on in block X, well another has come on the market, would you like to view'
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,924Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin