Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angelhales2601
    • By Angelhales2601 16th Apr 19, 2:57 PM
    • 116Posts
    • 534Thanks
    Angelhales2601
    0 WOW
    Honeymoon dreams vs reality!
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:57 PM
    0 WOW
    Honeymoon dreams vs reality! 16th Apr 19 at 2:57 PM
    Ok help me out here as I have a very grumpy fianc!e. We really wanted a all inclusive beach holiday for our honeymoon in half term next year (half term is a non negotiable as I am a teacher). We are an LGBT couple which obviously limits some of the countries that we can go to. Ideally we wanted to do no more than £2000 as we are broke from the wedding anyway but are struggling to find anything somewhere hot and within budget. Can anyone advise?
Page 1
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Apr 19, 3:00 PM
    • 18,943 Posts
    • 7,991 Thanks
    richardw
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:00 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:00 PM
    Which month next year is the half term?

Which is your nearest airport and what time could you get there for on a Friday afternoon after school?
    Last edited by richardw; 16-04-2019 at 3:04 PM.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 16th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    koalakoala
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    I don't know when half term is but thoroughly recommend Puerto Vallarta in Mexico. It is the most LGBT friendly place I have ever been, and a great place for a holiday. Read about it on TA.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 16th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 19,596 Posts
    • 25,560 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    If you're broke, don't go on honeymoon/holiday. Putting yourself into debt/deeper debt by going on an exotic holiday that you can't afford is crackers.

Put the idea on the backburner and do it when your circumstances have improved.

• Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 17th Apr 19, 12:11 AM
    • 12,957 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 17th Apr 19, 12:11 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 12:11 AM
    If you're broke, don't go on honeymoon/holiday. Putting yourself into debt/deeper debt by going on an exotic holiday that you can't afford is crackers.
    Originally posted by Murphy_The_Cat

Sensible advice, but an affordable honeymoon ought not to break the bank. There are some very gay-friendly resorts on Spain's Costa Brava.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 17th Apr 19, 8:18 AM
    • 19,596 Posts
    • 25,560 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:18 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:18 AM
    Sensible advice, but an affordable honeymoon ought not to break the bank.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002

If like the OP you are "broke", don't bury yourself in any more unnecessary debt.

• beckysbobbles1
    • By beckysbobbles1 17th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    beckysbobbles1
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:32 AM
    Firstly congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. I understand why you want your dream honeymoon as hopefully you're only planning on marrying once.

I would recommend booking as early as possible. You can often get lower deposits and perhaps the option to pay monthly.

The places I've seen cheapest recently is Dominican Republic and Cape Verde. Mexico seems to be a bit more expensive lately. You could look for a Caribbean cruise too. The food is all included and you can often get offers on drinks packages.

I look for my holidays on Expedia and Travel Bag often. Also don't forget to use topcashback.co.uk as I earnt £200 cashback on my recent booking. It gets paid a while afterwards but that could be a nice little bonus for your fiancee.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 20,055 Posts
    • 46,459 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 17th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 11:53 AM
    There are three half terms in every school year, which one are you planning to honeymoon in, it make a huge difference whether your're talking Feb, May or Oct.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Angelhales2601
    • By Angelhales2601 17th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    Angelhales2601
    • 17th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 17th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    Which month next year is the half term?

Which is your nearest airport and what time could you get there for on a Friday afternoon after school?
    Originally posted by richardw
    Its the February half term. We live next to Heathrow but can get to Gatwick/Standsted/Luton etc.

We get married on the Saturday and my partner is adamant that she wants to go either the Sunday or Monday. She has it fixed in her head that we have to go away immediately as she doesn't want to return to work straight after getting married. For her it was a non negotiable in terms of the date we got married!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    • 22,414 Posts
    • 18,429 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Canary Islands or Madeira would seem like a sensible option for February (I assume that you only have a week, so you won't want to waste too much of it travelling and getting over jet lag).
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 17th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Its the February half term. We live next to Heathrow but can get to Gatwick/Standsted/Luton etc.

We get married on the Saturday and my partner is adamant that she wants to go either the Sunday or Monday. She has it fixed in her head that we have to go away immediately as she doesn't want to return to work straight after getting married. For her it was a non negotiable in terms of the date we got married!
    Originally posted by Angelhales2601
    She sounds a proper delight
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th Apr 19, 2:28 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,643 Thanks
    need an answer
    Why don't you opt for a UK mini moon and save for another year so when it comes round to your 1st anniversary you'll have a better budget and a really special destination to go to...

Look at it that you are not concluding the wedding celebrations with the honeymoon straight after the wedding.

by having a smaller minimoon you could still hop on a plane and go somewhere if that's what your OH really wants...or you could find somewhere like a country lodge in the uk with a hot tub for a few days

Mexico is lovely and has a really good climate whatever time of year.
    Last edited by need an answer; 17-04-2019 at 2:31 PM.
    in S 17 T 5 F 13
    out S 19 T 8 F 19
    2017 -32 2018 -33
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 17th Apr 19, 3:52 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 757 Thanks
    Archergirl
    If you have to get deeper in debt because she says so then Gran Canaria is a good option.
    • Diver2
    • By Diver2 17th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Diver2
    Holiday
    Based on your budget and criteria, I would say that Maspalomas on the Canary Island of Gran Canaria might be your best bet.

Budget flights from Luton/Stansted and a seperate AI booked hotel might be acheivable in your budget (personally I would compromise on the AI part if above budget, but that's absoluitely your choice).

Maspalomas is a known LGBT destination (they hold the annual Canary Island Pride in the autumn).

Hope that helps somewhat.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 17th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 14,071 Posts
    • 12,179 Thanks
    zagfles
    I can't believe you'd struggle to get an AI beach holiday somewhere like the Canaries for that budget. We've been on 2 AI holidays in the Canaries in the last 15 months for around £400 each, in the school holidays.

It's not worth travelling any further for just a week IMO, particularly somewhere with a big time difference as it'll take a while to adjust going and more importantly coming back if you're going straight back to work.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 17th Apr 19, 7:14 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 1,240 Thanks
    eamon
    February rules out the Med, too cold. You only have a week so that rules out long haul. As other have said research the Canary Islands, 4 hrs from Luton/Stansted/Gatwick. You may need to be more flexible on your dates though.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 18th Apr 19, 7:06 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    bradders1983
    February rules out the Med, too cold. You only have a week so that rules out long haul. As other have said research the Canary Islands, 4 hrs from Luton/Stansted/Gatwick. You may need to be more flexible on your dates though.
    Originally posted by eamon
    Should be perfectly feasible to fly out to the Canaries the day after the wedding on the Sunday, and come back the Sunday afterwards. Although you may be getting back into the UK quite late and if you are a teacher you may be rather grumpy at work the next day.

Forget flying out of Heathrow though for the Canaries, will be a Gatwick/Luton/Stansted job. As an example, Jet2 fly to all four main Canary Islands on Sundays in February from Stansted, not difficult to go to their website and have a look. Cant help you any more as I dont know what week half term is in your area, but if its the 16th Feb you can fly out on then you can do a week in GC for just over half your budget so God knows why you are struggling to find something.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 18-04-2019 at 7:23 AM.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th Apr 19, 7:24 AM
    • 20,055 Posts
    • 46,459 Thanks
    peachyprice
    The Canaries are not going to be hot in February, it will be around 18-20c so about the same as yesterday if you're in the southeast. Not really beach weather but ideal for mooching, if you want a beach holiday you're going to have to go further or go later.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 18th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 376 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    bradders1983
    The Canaries are not going to be hot in February, it will be around 18-20c so about the same as yesterday if you're in the southeast. Not really beach weather but ideal for mooching, if you want a beach holiday you're going to have to go further or go later.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Ive been in GC over Xmas and its been scorching. Also been almost every year in the last 5 in October/November half term and had no issues other than the occasional thunderstorm. As already said, at that time of year mega hot = long haul which isnt feasible in a week and certainly isnt if the OP has to be back in work at 8am Monday morning the week afterwards.

The temperature for GC is usually given from the capital which, oddly enough, is cooler than the south of the island and gets more cloud. I remember one year getting there in October at the airport and it was absolutely tipping it down. Drove 2 miles down the island in the coach and it was glorious sunshine and a cloud free sky. Bizarre.
    Last edited by bradders1983; 18-04-2019 at 7:55 AM.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 18th Apr 19, 8:36 AM
    • 819 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    ibizafan
    The Canary Islands have their peak season in the winter months. We go in November, and it is hot most days. We have been to Mexico but the weather in Tenerife was just as good to be honest, so itís a great area to go if time is limited to a week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,479Posts Today

7,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin