Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TerracedHouse
    • By TerracedHouse 16th Apr 19, 2:40 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TerracedHouse
    Leak after fitting of radiators
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:40 PM
    Leak after fitting of radiators 16th Apr 19 at 2:40 PM
    I had my radiators replaced last month. I have noticed a funny smell recently and only falling after dragging an object in the hallway did I notice the carpet is soaked underneath the new pipe work. Running my finger along the pipe I can tell leak is coming from the solder joints. I have contacted the plumber who installed the radiators and he said he may have to put a compression joint in, I know nothing of plumbing so will have Google what this is.

I lifted the carpet and underlay is soaked and there is water there, I have a concrete floor so there is nowhere for it to drain off to. When the radiators where first put in I checked a pipe upstairs as the bay window radiator was removed and noticed a leak, the plumber said the apprentice had not put an olive in when capping the pipe.

Should the plumber pay for carpet(s) to be lifted and for them and the floor to be dried? BTW I have a disability so I am unable to do this.
Page 1
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 16th Apr 19, 2:43 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:43 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:43 PM
    This is what we have liability insurance for, it could be he offeres to sort it himself though, but yes, he must sort this for you, carpets an all
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • TerracedHouse
    • By TerracedHouse 16th Apr 19, 3:22 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TerracedHouse
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:22 PM
    Do I have to inform my insurance? How do I approach the plumber?
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:45 PM
    Do I have to inform my insurance? How do I approach the plumber?
    Originally posted by TerracedHouse
    You tell him the leaks casued damage and ask him to come round to have a look, take lots of pictures, if he is one of the good ones he will propose a course of action, take it from there
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 3,624 Posts
    • 2,779 Thanks
    Mistral001
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    It is the plumbers fault. If he is a good plumber he will take care of it. How he pays for it is his problem.

PS. I think under the terms of house insurance you should inform your insurance company, even though they will not out in situations like this.
    Last edited by Mistral001; 16-04-2019 at 6:13 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin