Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skystorm
    • By Skystorm 16th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Skystorm
    Residuary beneficiary money payed to non-UK bank account
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    Residuary beneficiary money payed to non-UK bank account 16th Apr 19 at 2:23 PM
    Hello

My brother and I are using a UK high street bank as the Executor of our late parents’ estate. The bank has a UK Executor Account for the paying and receiving of monies during probate.
    Once we have completed the whole process and the residuary beneficiary money is finally ready to be equally divided and paid to my brother and myself, I have a question regards to international money transfer fees.

• I have given a UK bank account to pay My portion of the residuary beneficiary money into
    • My brother has given an Australian bank account for his portion of the residuary beneficiary money to be paid into

My question is related to the international money transfer fees that will need to be paid when the Executor sends my brothers portion to his Australian bank account.

How do I ensure that this international money transfer fee (which could be quite high) is not deducted from the gross UK Executor Account money (as an estate expense), before they have divided the 50/50 payment to my brother and Myself? I get on great with my brother, but I don’t really want to end up paying 50% of his international money transfer fees, just because he happens to live in Australia.

Cheers in advance
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 16th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    • 10,585 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    Linton
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:01 PM
    Talk to your bank?
    Put through 100% transfer to you and 95% transfer for your brother followed by the rest?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 16th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 35,552 Posts
    • 21,733 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    Just send the sterling amount from this end what come out the other end is the recipients problem.

If an IBAN number it just works for me sending £ to €
    • Dox
    • By Dox 16th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    Dox
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    There may not be an international transfer fee - many FX firms no longer charge one, and still offer excellent conversion rates. Check with the bank if there would be a charge - and if they say yes, suggest they use one of the free services!

Either way, it is for your brother to cover the cost - but given it isn't likely to be that much, you're getting stewed up about nothing.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 17th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    mobileron
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    How much is the transfer fee and dont use your bank.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 17th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    • 6,827 Posts
    • 6,412 Thanks
    badger09
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    I suspect any international money transfer fees will pale into insignificance compared to the fees charged by the high street bank for executing the estate
    • Skystorm
    • By Skystorm 17th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Skystorm
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    Many thanks for everyone’s feedback

I think the simplest thing to do is ask the executor (bank) to:

• 1st executor calculates the final residuary beneficiary money available for Me and by brother - 50/50 split
    • 2nd executor first pays My 50% direct to My UK bank account, which then leaves by brothers 50% still sitting in the executor account
    • 3rd executor then calculates the exchange rate mark-up, international transfer fees, etc… on my Brothers remaining 50% money while it’s still in the executor account – this avoids the overall ‘Estate’ taking the hit for the exchange and transfer fees as an ‘expense’, thus only his portion takes the hit and not mine
    • 4th executor then pays my Brother his 50% (less exchange mark-ups, fees, etc…) to his Australian bank account

This would keep everything separated and simple and keep any fees away from my 50% portion – which could equate to thousands of pounds on an international transfer amount of over £500k.

Cheers
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 17th Apr 19, 2:06 PM
    • 35,552 Posts
    • 21,733 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 17th Apr 19, 2:06 PM
    • 17th Apr 19, 2:06 PM
    https://www.nab.com.au/personal/international/receive-money-from-overseas

Fees don't look that bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin