Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dedekind
    • By Dedekind 16th Apr 19, 2:07 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Dedekind
    Bathroom towel radiator - TRV or not?
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:07 PM
    Bathroom towel radiator - TRV or not? 16th Apr 19 at 2:07 PM
    Refurbishing bathroom, and fitting a new towel radiator. Do we need to fit a TRV? I understood these were not recommended for bathrooms since humidity will make the TRV confused and will turn off when most needed. However I also saw that Trvs are mandatory for building regulations. Is this true?
Page 1
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 16th Apr 19, 2:48 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:48 PM
    Refurbishing bathroom, and fitting a new towel radiator. Do we need to fit a TRV? I understood these were not recommended for bathrooms since humidity will make the TRV confused and will turn off when most needed. However I also saw that Trvs are mandatory for building regulations. Is this true?
    Originally posted by Dedekind
    I would have one put in if i were you and i havent heard of the humidity thing, ideally a heating system should have a minimum set of controls, normally being a stat and TRV`s
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 16th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:58 PM
    Personally, I would not. The room temperature is irrelevant if there are wet towels draped over.

Ours is fed by the hot water feed, so it's on frequently - even in summer.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 16th Apr 19, 3:49 PM
    • 1,425 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:49 PM
    At least one rad must be able to stay 'on'. In our system it's the towel rail rad, which doesn't have a TRV.

If you have a rad without a TRV, I don't imagine there would be an actual problem having a TRV on the towel rad but I wouldn't do it.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    • 12,841 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:00 PM
    TRVs on a towel rad are pointless and not required. The radiator isn't there to heat the room but to simply dry towels.
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 16th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    Originally posted by Dedekind
    Perhaps mandatory now in new builds etc.

But its a towel radiator, so do not put one on.

Do you have a radiator that does not have a TRV, you need at least one without.
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 16th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    I would have one put in if i were you and i havent heard of the humidity thing, ideally a heating system should have a minimum set of controls, normally being a stat and TRV`s
    Originally posted by Dan-Dan
    look Here

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/faq/can-a-trv-be-fitted-to-a-towel-rail
    • ed110220
    • By ed110220 16th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 1,138 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    ed110220
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    The heat output of a towel radiator is minimal, therefore it makes sense to use it as the radiator in the system without a TRV, to keep the wastage of heat to a minimum.
    • Dedekind
    • By Dedekind 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Dedekind
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:10 PM
    Well what we plan to fit is a radiator which also serves as a towel rail. So we are considering the BTU requirements to heat the full bathroom and so on. Would the same reasoning as above (I.e not necessary to have a TRV and actually advisable to avoid) be applicable?
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 16th Apr 19, 9:59 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    troffasky
    I think "a radiator that also serves as a towel radiator" is basically just "a radiator". The "towel rail-style radiator" in my bathroom has a TRV on it and works just fine.
    • Dan-Dan
    • By Dan-Dan 17th Apr 19, 7:36 AM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 4,363 Thanks
    Dan-Dan
    Yes, thanks for that, well aware, we have a big bathroom, our bypass rad is in the hallway where the stat is
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 17th Apr 19, 9:36 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    Rodders53
    I fitted radiators in place of the near useless towel rails in our bathrooms and fitted TRVs. You can leave them full on if desired.

My boiler has a bypass loop so, even if all TRVs are closed it would cope (that loop is also used for frost protection).

Controls are there (and required by BR) to minimise heat waste by allowing the user to set a comfortable temperature in every room.

Fit them!
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th Apr 19, 9:50 AM
    • 12,841 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I fitted radiators in place of the near useless towel rails in our bathrooms and fitted TRVs. You can leave them full on if desired.

My boiler has a bypass loop so, even if all TRVs are closed it would cope (that loop is also used for frost protection).

Controls are there (and required by BR) to minimise heat waste by allowing the user to set a comfortable temperature in every room.

Fit them!
    Originally posted by Rodders53
    Why were they "near useless", did they not dry your towels?
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 17th Apr 19, 5:36 PM
    • 648 Posts
    • 424 Thanks
    Rodders53
    Why were they "near useless", did they not dry your towels?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Only heat source and rooms cold.
    New rads double the BTU (maybe more) and I re-balanced house so now much better.

Have a small electric towel dryer for summer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

7,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin