Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HPR2922
    • By HPR2922 16th Apr 19, 2:02 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    HPR2922
    Taxed for pay I知 not receiving
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:02 PM
    Taxed for pay I知 not receiving 16th Apr 19 at 2:02 PM
    I am a casual/bank worker so effectively on a 0 hours contract (suits me as I am at uni) I submit a timesheet each month and get paid accordingly. Last month an 選T issue meant I didn稚 get paid on payday. I was told I could either have an advanced payment or wait until the next month. Obviously I couldn稚 go the month without pay so opted for the advanced payment. They didn稚 tell me that I壇 be taxed 20% and 10% national insurance on this, which meant I got considerably less than I should have (shouldn稚 have been taxed at all as it was a low amount)

It ended up being two advanced payments as something else was messed up. I was told I would receive the tax I overpaid in next months pay. I have now got a copy of my payslip for this month which I値l be paid next week.

The issue is that with the advanced payment they then add the payment onto my payslip as if I am going to be paid it, then deduct it (minus the money I am owed for overpaying tax last month). So I will be paying tax and national insurance on 」1300 (my pay for this month + last months pay which was then deducted) despite the fact I will not be paid this amount and if it wasn稚 for the advance payment my tax would be 」0 and NI would be 」29. I am paying 」80 NI and 」63.60 tax

Surely this isn稚 correct and I am losing out? What can I do?
Page 1
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 16th Apr 19, 2:36 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:36 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:36 PM
    What is your tax code with this employer?
    • HPR2922
    • By HPR2922 16th Apr 19, 2:47 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HPR2922
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:47 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:47 PM
    What is your tax code with this employer?
    Originally posted by General Grant
    Tax code with this employer is 1250L
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 17th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    General Grant
    • 17th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    • 17th Apr 19, 5:00 PM
    So 1250L is the code for this new tax year. Presumably it was 1185L last year.
    The problem is that the "advance" was not actually an advance but, especially because it was the final pay due in the last tax year, should really have been processed manually using the tax code.

Had you actually done other work for them in the 2018-19 tax year? (Your OP does not actually make this absolutely certain.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin