Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beatle Ray
    • By Beatle Ray 16th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 41Thanks
    Beatle Ray
    Kia Sorento breakdown -advise please
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    Kia Sorento breakdown -advise please 16th Apr 19 at 1:43 PM
    Hello,

DW's Sorento broke down, its on a 63 plate and 85K miles, because we had missed a service Kia refused to pay for the repair as the warranty contract had been broken by us, fair enough, they quoted £6K for the repair, that was too much for us so we collected it from Kia and used a local garage who have repaired with recon parts for just under half of what Kia quoted. The car had missed its third service as I mentioned but on the fourth service had the fuel filter replaced as this is part of the service at that point, it was the fuel filter not working properly that caused the damage, the fuel pump had broken and metal particles had broken off and recked the pump and four of the injectors, so, my question is, even though the fuel filter was fitted, albeit late, can I go back to Kia and say its a fact the filter was replaced but your report shows that part to be at fault, the part was replaced at 61K miles and is guaranteed for 20K miles so technically it should still be working and not faulty, I'm not expecting to get the cost of the repair back but the service when the new fuel filter was fitted was £600, as I said, we were late with one of the services which was due, accept that, but that part should still be in warranty. advise please.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 21,838 Posts
    • 20,548 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    The fuel filter didn't cause the pump to break up.
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 16th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    The fuel filter didn't cause the pump to break up.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

I was just going to say this beat me to it

op, the fuel filter did not cause the car to break im afraid even a fairly blocked filter would still allow fuel to pass through but even then before that happend (blocked/dameaged filter) the car would give you early sighs of low fuel pressure such as missfiring, stalling runnig lumpy on idle etc........... i do agree that the filter would have shaving of metal in it but they have come after the fuel pump failed (grinding) this was a common on some diesel mondes

im not sure who told you that the filter is the primary cause of all this but thats not true, something yes failed but it was not the filter, i would say that the fuel pump failed first to cause all the problems elsewhere in the fuel system

why did the fuel pump fail well to be frank it could be several reasons such as low quailty fuel, just a crap pump made by kia, running car on low fuel etc.... we can guess but unless the pump is inspected properly you will never know
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 2:12 PM
    • 21,838 Posts
    • 20,548 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:12 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:12 PM
    ...misfuelling...
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 16th Apr 19, 2:22 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:22 PM
    ...misfuelling...
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Possibly, if not then my money would be on that kia's pump may be a bit crap, like i say mondeos had a problem with the diesel pumps, i did a few its a big job

fuel tank down n clean, replace in tank pump, clean all fuel lines, recon high pressure pump, recon injectors, full service etc... very expensive job all done as the op found but his car is worth 14k ish so he didnt have a choice but to get it repaired unfortunately
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,119Posts Today

7,467Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin