Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cognomes
    • By cognomes 16th Apr 19, 1:18 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    cognomes
    Gladstones hearing
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:18 PM
    Gladstones hearing 16th Apr 19 at 1:18 PM
    I have a hearing date in two weeks, have submitted defence, witness statement etc. all on time.

I now would not be able to make the hearing, is it possible to just pay it now? Or should I ask for a papers only hearing...

help would be appreciated many thanks
Page 1
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 16th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    • 12,651 Posts
    • 12,882 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    Could you not ask forit to be re-scheduled.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 16th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 4,616 Posts
    • 3,990 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:48 PM
    I have a hearing date in two weeks, have submitted defence, witness statement etc. all on time.

I now would not be able to make the hearing, is it possible to just pay it now? Or should I ask for a papers only hearing...

help would be appreciated many thanks
    Originally posted by cognomes
    Presumably you submitted your DQ; did you put any dates on there when you would not be available? If this reason for not being able to make the date came unexpectedly, you could try sending a copy of your DQ, with some dates in their along with a covering letter asking for a later date due to ????? commitments.
    • cognomes
    • By cognomes 16th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cognomes
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:01 PM
    in my DQ i did but this is unexpected.

would there be any issue with making the payment now other than the cost?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 38,637 Posts
    • 22,587 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    No issue.

But consider asking for a delay (expect a fee at this late stage to make that application)

If you have good reason you may succeed
    • cognomes
    • By cognomes 16th Apr 19, 2:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cognomes
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:08 PM
    okay thanks, i thought there was an issue with them coming after you for extra legal costs.

i suppose i could ask for a delay and then pay right before the hearing if this does not succeed?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Apr 19, 12:12 AM
    • 70,385 Posts
    • 82,950 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Apr 19, 12:12 AM
    • 19th Apr 19, 12:12 AM
    I really would attend if you possibly can.

Otherwise, you will lose, most likely, and get clobbered for costs, unless your local court is an anti-PPC ''clued-up'' one, like Manchester or Skipton or the Isle of Wight.

3 people last month who started on this forum but then went off piste (against our advice) and absented themselves from their hearings, ALL lost and got at least double recovery on costs awarded against them.

However, if you really cannot attend I would not pay up front as no doubt the claim is already inflated to something like 250 and they will have paid a hearing fee now too.

So IMHO there is NO ADVANTAGE in paying but you have to accept that by absenting yourself you are likely to lose unless your papers are compelling & you get a good Judge.

I would say it is too late for a delay, and you need to write to the Judge and Claimant on Tuesday and absent yourself IF YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE NO CHOICE and send a costs schedule too, for your time so far...at the LiP rate of 19 per hour (why not?!)
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 19-04-2019 at 12:14 AM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,061Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin