Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suestew
    • By suestew 16th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 291Posts
    • 60Thanks
    suestew
    Derbyshire and surrounding, where is cheap but picturesque
    • 16th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    Derbyshire and surrounding, where is cheap but picturesque 16th Apr 19 at 1:12 PM
    Hi all, friend looking to buy for holiday home, cheap as possible as in below 60k, but wants a picturesque area, good for dog walks, country pubs etc.

Any suggestions? thanks
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 21,905 Posts
    • 20,629 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    Not. A. Hope.

Anywhere near Derbyshire is within easy commuting distance of big cities - Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester etc etc. "Picturesque" in easy reach of a big city is desirable commuterbelt.

He's even being optimistic in the few remaining unimproved godforsaken ex-mining post-industrial dives, tbh.

Here's absolutely everything <£70k within 15 miles of Derbyshire.
    Mmm. Rotherham and Mexborough...
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E61296&maxPri ce=70000&radius=15.0&includeSSTC=false
    Last edited by AdrianC; 16-04-2019 at 2:08 PM.
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 16th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 2:21 PM
    I used to have a holiday home near Matlock. Very nice, and outside the national park so not stupid money. Still not a great deal under £100k thatís not shared ownership or auction though.
    • KatieDee
    • By KatieDee 16th Apr 19, 3:28 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    KatieDee
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:28 PM
    Not. A. Hope.

Anywhere near Derbyshire is within easy commuting distance of big cities - Leicester, Derby, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester etc etc. "Picturesque" in easy reach of a big city is desirable commuterbelt.

He's even being optimistic in the few remaining unimproved godforsaken ex-mining post-industrial dives, tbh.

Here's absolutely everything <£70k within 15 miles of Derbyshire.
    Mmm. Rotherham and Mexborough...
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E61296&maxPri ce=70000&radius=15.0&includeSSTC=false
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    As a born and bred Yorkshire lass, I can confirm that you shouldn't touch either of these places with a barge pole. There is very little going on there. In fact, the best thing about Rotherham and Doncaster is the M18 out of them.

I think anything in or around Derbyshire, especially close to the Peaks or decent amenities, is going to set you back a lot more than £60k.
    • Larac
    • By Larac 16th Apr 19, 3:33 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    Larac
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:33 PM
    TBH - with that sort of budget, you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the UK, unless you are looking at caravan/chalet/lodge/shack. They, of course, come with their own issues such as site fees, leases and rapid decline in value, over the years. Need to up the budget IMHO.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    • 21,905 Posts
    • 20,629 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:28 PM
    TBH - with that sort of budget, you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the UK
    Originally posted by Larac
    No, not true.

There are places that fit the bill. (Just). But you'll need to make sure you're bloody good at DIY.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-79529591.html
    (Yes, "local occupancy" - but look how long it's been for sale...)

You could even get plenty of character, if you're happy to take a flyer on planning...
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-56272009.html
    (Again, look at how long it's been on the market... May be able to get some wiggle room for conversion in the budget.)
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 16th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 4,529 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    TBH - with that sort of budget, you would be hard pressed to find anywhere in the UK, unless you are looking at caravan/chalet/lodge/shack. They, of course, come with their own issues such as site fees, leases and rapid decline in value, over the years. Need to up the budget IMHO.
    Originally posted by Larac
    Hmm far from correct ... 187 properties within ten miles of Sheffield City Centre.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?searchType=SALE&locationIdentifier=POSTC ODE%5E1211307&insId=1&radius=10.0&minPrice=&maxPri ce=60000&minBedrooms=&maxBedrooms=&displayProperty Type=&maxDaysSinceAdded=&_includeSSTC=on&sortByPri ceDescending=&primaryDisplayPropertyType=&secondar yDisplayPropertyType=&oldDisplayPropertyType=&oldP rimaryDisplayPropertyType=&newHome=&auction=false
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Larac
    • By Larac 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    Larac
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    The original OP wanted 'picturesque' my comment alluded to that not being possible on a £60K budget.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 16th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    • 5,861 Posts
    • 9,151 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    Try Burnley in Lancashire. It is the only place I can think of where you could buy anything for less than £60k.
    • macman
    • By macman 16th Apr 19, 11:47 PM
    • 43,258 Posts
    • 18,428 Thanks
    macman
    Since your friend does presumably know the area already, have they not got some idea of where they want to buy this holiday home? And some idea of the budget required?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • macman
    • By macman 16th Apr 19, 11:49 PM
    • 43,258 Posts
    • 18,428 Thanks
    macman
    Try Burnley in Lancashire. It is the only place I can think of where you could buy anything for less than £60k.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    True, but I think even the most creative EA would struggle to describe the £60K parts of the town as 'picturesque'.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Albala
    • By Albala 17th Apr 19, 3:53 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    Albala
    Stoke on Trent's cheap. And not far from the Peak district. But not very picturesque.

Anywhere with a Staffordshire rather than a Derbyshire postcode tends to be cheaper, and Staffs Moorlands is as nice as the Peak district and not far off it- Leek area and so on. Or Uttoxeter. But either would be more than 60,000.
    • Lucy Hoad
    • By Lucy Hoad 17th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lucy Hoad
    We live in Tutbury which is technically East Staffordshire but basically Derbyshire (you cross the bridge into Derbyshire through Hatton). I think it is one of the nicer rural areas for a lower purchase cost compared to beautiful but expensive areas like Repton and Melbourne.

We have an old market town high street with lots of Cafe's and Pubs and even an old Castle Ruin. Rolleston next to us is also lovely.

Good luck.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 17th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 2,670 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    This is just in Derbyshire, cheapest place I could think of and yet well
    over £60K

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/50865798?search_identifier=14b5172368482faadb48505 83271564a

Picturesque? If you like a view of a massive Sports Direct warehouse.

Oh and it would help if you speak Polish.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th Apr 19, 5:08 PM
    • 3,322 Posts
    • 4,968 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Any suggestions? thanks
    Originally posted by suestew
    I suggest you have a think about why some places might be cheap - perhaps because they're not picturesque perhaps...?
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 17th Apr 19, 5:19 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    Doesnít get much more picturesque than this?

Lot 2: Land and Barn at Monyash
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71224714.html
    • Yellow_mango
    • By Yellow_mango 17th Apr 19, 5:20 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    Yellow_mango
    Or if you can stretch the budget a little this one even has planning permission?

Roes Lane, Crich
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71143438.html
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Apr 19, 5:34 PM
    • 21,905 Posts
    • 20,629 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Doesnít get much more picturesque than this?

Lot 2: Land and Barn at Monyash
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71224714.html
    Originally posted by Yellow_mango
    £35k!

Oh, hold on...
    Lot 1 is £250k. And you can't buy Lot 2 unless the buyers of Lot 1 decide they don't want it.

Oh, and btw - Lot 1 is the one with what you could loosely call "the barn" (without planning permission). Lot 2 is just a very-un-flat field... without even road access currently.

Or if you can stretch the budget a little this one even has planning permission?

Roes Lane, Crich
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71143438.html
    Originally posted by Yellow_mango
    It's a single garage with a cellar. And something approaching a parking space or two of land.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Apr 19, 5:34 PM
    • 27,877 Posts
    • 99,034 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Reminds me of that very old TV advert where the naive child asks the shopkeeper (played by Deryck Guyler) for a box of chocolates for 6d......

"Oh no, lad, you can't buy a box of chocolates for 6d, but you can buy one of these...." and he hands the kid a packet of Revels.

Even a child, I knew this was a con, because Revels were nothing like proper boxed chocolates.

Proper houses for £60k in picturesque and reasonably accessible locations probably don't exist, so something will have to give, but like the pack of Revels, getting something may be possible if expectations are lowered to a sensible level.

I remember some really happy hols where we rented something plain in a non-tourist location because we were totally strapped for cash. The kids didn't care that the 'holiday house' was on an suburban estate!
    'I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn.' Neil Innes, introducing 'Protest Song.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,678Posts Today

7,402Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin